PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian foods to eat when you're sick

catnip
24 March 2013, 02:30 PM
Namaste,
What would be a good replacement for things like chicken noodle soup and chicken broth and such?
What are good vegetarian foods to eat when you're sick?

Eastern Mind
24 March 2013, 09:24 PM
Namaste,
What would be a good replacement for things like chicken noodle soup and chicken broth and such?

Vannakkam: Lots of things, like ginger tea with honey. I know people who use rasam (a pepper soup) to create a sweat.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
24 March 2013, 10:06 PM
Namasté,

There are two things that I prefer to consume when I'm ill. The first is kichadi, a simple, easily-digested stew of rice and beans, for which a recipe may be found here (http://www.futuremedicinenow.com/pages/kichadi.php). (There are many variations of this nourishing dish, so you may do a search for kichadi or kitchari if you don't have all of the ingredients for that particular one.) The other is a soothing kashayam (medicinal drink), made of a few different spices with ginger and honey, whose instructions and ingredients are given here (http://theyumblog.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/kashayam/).

As the Divine is the ultimate Healer, simple prayer and japa also provide a wonderful "inner nourishment" during times of illness.

I hope you feel better soon!

Necromancer
25 March 2013, 04:48 AM
Namaste,
Namaste.

Miso Soup!!!

This stuff is so therapeutic and healing for me.

If I have the 'flu, if I am feeling down or anything like that, a bowl of miso soup (with wakame) usually perks me right up.

Just make sure it doesn't have any bonito extract or mussels or anything else like that in it.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Sahasranama
25 March 2013, 12:07 PM
It depends on what type of illness you have. For the common flue, vitamin C and anti-oxidant rich fruits and vegetables are useful, unless you have difficulty holding food down, then maybe eating something more calorically dense can give you energy to fight of the sickness, but that depends on how strong your digestion is. I don't think there are a single solution for every situation.

satay
25 March 2013, 01:00 PM
Namaste
I feel like eating kitchari now. :D

Namasté,

There are two things that I prefer to consume when I'm ill. The first is kichadi, a simple, easily-digested stew of rice and beans, for which a recipe may be

catnip
02 April 2013, 10:13 PM
Namaste,

I made the Kitchadi today, it was great! (though i'm not really sick)
Thanks for the recipe!

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

ShivaFan
08 April 2013, 06:03 PM
Namaste

Have you or others ever heard of Agathi keerai or known as Humming Bird Tree leaves?

Here is a healthy recipe, full of help for the body, but my understanding is you do not take with other medicines.

Humming Bird Tree Leaves Fry

http://kurinjikathambam.blogspot.in/2012/08/agathi-leaves-agathi-keerai-humming.html?m=1

Jai Ganapati Om!

Om Namah Sivaya

Ashwin
04 April 2014, 03:24 PM
Namaste Cat Nip,

Draw a tea from Bay leaves or the roots of lemon grass(aka.fever grass).:)

Ohm Namah Shivayah.