PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate and Vegetarianism

Jodhaa
28 March 2013, 01:04 PM
Namaste all!

I'm curious about something and I'm hoping that the vegetarians/vegans on the forum can help me, since I'm still transitioning into vegetarianism.

I wanted to get some dark chocolate as part of a gift for a friend at temple because she's mentioned that she loves it. I wanted to make sure whatever I got was vegetarian/vegan. So I dutifully read many labels and found some that was "Certified Vegan".

My question is - What is in regular chocolate that makes it non-vegetarian? I confess I've never read the labels too closely until now.

Thanks in advance for your help!

jignyAsu
28 March 2013, 02:55 PM
Namaste all!

I'm curious about something and I'm hoping that the vegetarians/vegans on the forum can help me, since I'm still transitioning into vegetarianism.

I wanted to get some dark chocolate as part of a gift for a friend at temple because she's mentioned that she loves it. I wanted to make sure whatever I got was vegetarian/vegan. So I dutifully read many labels and found some that was "Certified Vegan".

My question is - What is in regular chocolate that makes it non-vegetarian? I confess I've never read the labels too closely until now.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You will be surprised how seemingly vegetarian products actually have so many hidden non veg ingredients in them - sugar, cheese, chocolates. Not all of these can be found in the label.
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=11007

Chocolates, like cheese, can use Rennet derived from a poor cow's intestine. Mars chocolate, I believe, started using this recently. You can actually email a company to find of if they use any animal products. If you find something else, please contribute to the thread, above :)

All the best!

Jodhaa
28 March 2013, 03:07 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Animal Rennet - I've heard of it but never really knew what it was. Thank you for the explanation.

I was sad to learn that marshmallows have gelatin in them. What's a smore without a marshmallow? Ah, well.

Jodhaa
28 March 2013, 03:11 PM
Btw,

The brands of chocolate I found that are labeled either Vegan or Vegetarian certified are:

Endangered Species - A portion of the profits goes to habitat preservation. "Certified Vegan".
Green and Black's Organic - exact label says "Suitable for Vegetarians"
Amore di Mona - "Vegan" right on the front.

Eastern Mind
28 March 2013, 03:35 PM
Vannakkam: Lard, gelatin, carmine, rennet ... Why do you need chocolate at all? It's not particularly healthy in any sense. But if there are 'safe' brands, go with them.

Aum Namasivaya