PDA

View Full Version : First Time to Hindu Temple-Guide?

MormonGuy
23 May 2013, 01:57 PM
Hi everyone!

So I've been curious about Hinduism for some time. I have family members that are Hindu (my family is part Indian-Guyanese), and I've always wondered about that part of my heritage, and I've been feeling a stronger "pull" towards it lately, especially as I ponder the truth claims of my current faith (Mormonism, and Christianity in general).

Anyway, we have a Hindu temple here in NYC, in Queens. I'd like to visit one of these days to see what it's like. I've never been to a Hindu temple before, so I'm not sure what etiquette to follow, what to do, what not to do, etc. Is it okay for me to visit "just to see"? I'm also nervous since I'm wondering if people would "stare" because, I physically look more African American/Dominican than anything else, and I'm assuming that Hinduism, at least at this time, is still overwhelmingly South Asian in makeup, so some may be curious about why I'm there (again, assumptions).

Any help would be appreciated!

Eastern Mind
23 May 2013, 08:30 PM
Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums. The Ganesha temple there is one of the nicest temples in America. You are lucky. I've been there once a long time ago.

Here is a link to a guide to visiting a Hindu temple for the first time. If it doesn't answer your questions, ask away.

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=464

Aum Namasivaya

MormonGuy
23 May 2013, 10:40 PM
Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums. The Ganesha temple there is one of the nicest temples in America. You are lucky. I've been there once a long time ago.

Here is a link to a guide to visiting a Hindu temple for the first time. If it doesn't answer your questions, ask away.

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=464

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks, that was definitely helpful.

So what if I just would like to go to see and be "passive"? I'm not at a point where I'd feel comfortable participating in any rituals. Is that okay?

TrikonaBindu
24 May 2013, 12:03 AM
Namaste MormonGuy,

Eastern Mind has given good advice, as he typically does. I, too, have visited that Ganesha temple on one occasion. I have reason to know that a person of your physical self-description need not hesitate to visit that place. In response to your query, I have sent a private message with further suggestions.

My very best wishes.

ShivaFan
24 May 2013, 01:41 AM
Namaste Mormonguy.

Ganasha wants to see your beauty with His eyes. Please go to the temple immediately without delay.

Om Namah Sivaya

MormonGuy
29 May 2013, 11:40 AM
SO, I'm planning on going to the Ganesha temple in Queens, NYC this Friday!

I won't lie, I'm still nervous, since I'm going by myself. Thanks to those that suggested going to one of the smaller temples in the city, and I certainly will, however I feel drawn to go to this temple (maybe because it's bigger?).

I plan on going, taking off my shoes (and socks?) at the front, then going in, walking/sit around, and observe without doing anything, and I guess seeing how I "feel" while there. Is there a specific time or ritual I should go for to observe?

Also, what is the purpose of "abhishekam"? I know it refers to pouring milk, honey, etc on the deity image, however why is that done? Is this an offering?

TrikonaBindu
29 May 2013, 06:01 PM
Namaste MormonGuy.

So happy to hear you will visit Ganesha this week. He was the first Deity to become real for me. I had been to other temples, a couple of them quite regularly, but I never developed that strong love attachment until I visited a certain temple where Lord Ganesha's powerful presence was immediately evident to me.

So much depends on the heart's destiny. Just like you can't force yourself to fall in love with someone. There has to be an affinity. You may not feel that affinity with any Deity of the Hindu tradition. It remains to be seen. In any case, by going to Hindu temples, you expose yourself to a current of divine love, which will help you wherever and however you are meant to join yourself to God.

My thoughts about abhishekam (holy bath): We are pouring our love and attention. It is reverential, playful, and beautiful. We feel exhilarated by this way of relating to our Beloved. Also, we are given a spoonful of the Holy Bath to drink (always received in the cupped RIGHT hand, fingers tight to hold the fluid), which we consider to be a sacramental token of our Beloved’s grace and blessings.

After the bath, the curtains are closed while the priests adorn the Deity with clothes, ornaments, and flowers. Then they open the curtains so everyone can admire the majesty. Next there are further services of adoration, like offering incense and waving ghee lamps. At the end, a camphor lamp is offered, which makes the brightest light, and the devotees pull this light towards themselves, thinking it to be the light of God.

Sri Ganeshaya namah.

Eastern Mind
29 May 2013, 06:10 PM
I visited a certain temple where Lord Ganesha's powerful presence was immediately evident to me.

Vannakkam: Which temple, if you don't mind me asking?

Aum Namasivaya

TrikonaBindu
29 May 2013, 06:42 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind.

As your intuition may tell you, it was the temple established by your Gurudeva in San Francisco. That temple was subsequently relocated and then changed hands.

Sri Ganeshaya namah.

Eastern Mind
29 May 2013, 07:33 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind.

As your intuition may tell you, it was the temple established by your Gurudeva in San Francisco. That temple was subsequently relocated and then changed hands.

Sri Ganeshaya namah.

Vannakkam: My intuition is generally wrong. :) But yes, I had been to the one at 3575 Sacramento Street, and more recently in Concord. ShivaFan is familiar with them too. In fact, that's where I first saw Gurudeva, at 3575. But as you might imagine, he had a lot to do with the one here in Edmonton as well, and it's pretty strong too. Most people know its Ganesha's house. He gave a lot of temples a lot of Ganesha murthies to get them started.

Thanks for answering.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
03 June 2013, 12:49 PM
SO, I'm planning on going to the Ganesha temple in Queens, NYC this Friday!

I won't lie, I'm still nervous, since I'm going by myself. Thanks to those that suggested going to one of the smaller temples in the city, and I certainly will, however I feel drawn to go to this temple (maybe because it's bigger?).

I plan on going, taking off my shoes (and socks?) at the front, then going in, walking/sit around, and observe without doing anything, and I guess seeing how I "feel" while there. Is there a specific time or ritual I should go for to observe?

Also, what is the purpose of "abhishekam"? I know it refers to pouring milk, honey, etc on the deity image, however why is that done? Is this an offering?

Vannakkam: I'm curious as to how it went, if you went. Do we get an update?

Aum Namasivaya

MormonGuy
06 June 2013, 12:29 PM
double

MormonGuy
06 June 2013, 09:15 PM
Vannakkam: I'm curious as to how it went, if you went. Do we get an update?

Aum Namasivaya

Replied earlier today but I guess it didn't post. Lets see how it goes this time!

Ok, so I finally visited the Ganesh temple in Flushing today. I was definitely hesitant in going because I was nervous that I'd do something wrong, staring, etc. I finally decided to just go today, and I'm glad I did.

I drove over to the temple, and it took me some time to find parking, so I had to circle the temple a few times, which allowed me to stake out the entrance so I wouldn't look like a complete newbie trying to get in :D.

When you go in, there's an outdoor walkway lined with statues of Ganesh which was nice. Then, you take off your shoes and go in the main temple. I had to pause to see if everyone had socks on, since I wasn't sure if I should take them off too. Inside, it wasn't too busy, since I went around noon. Sadly I missed abhishekam, but it looked like the priests were going to each shrine, offered something, did arati, and offered the flame to the worshippers. I just stood back and observed. There are a lot of deities there, and I remembered that these aren't just statues or art.

I walked around the temple a few times, looking at each deity. Everyone was doing their own thing, no one was staring, there was a white dude there too that seemed to be there for the first time as well, and a few others seemed to be first time visitors, some with cameras outside or going down to the canteen. There was a woman sitting on the floor making flower garlands. Then, I went through a back hallway to a separate shrine for the navagrahas (surrounded by big windows letting in lots of light), which was interesting. I circled around again, then I decided to sit in front of the main Ganesh shrine in the middle (I saw someone sitting earlier so I figured it was okay) and said a prayer. I also said a prayer before the Lakshmi shrine. It felt good and right to do so. After all that, I slowly walked out.

All in all, I'm really glad I went. I'm grateful that I live a 15 min drive from the temple, as I definitely plan on going again next week. This time I'll make it for one of the rituals I see offered on the website. It felt good to be there, but I was honestly just more concerned with not looking like a fool to really ponder, though I felt more comfortable the longer I was there. Compared to my experience in Mormon temples, I feel like this is what I've been "missing" all this time. Like I'd read about ancient temples in Egypt, India, Israel (Solomon's temple), etc., and here's one in that same tradition 15 minutes away :p. Can't wait to go back next week!

Eastern Mind
07 June 2013, 09:52 AM
Vannakkam Mormon Guy:

I'm glad you liked it. The more times you go, the more comfortable you'll feel, and the more comfortable devotees will feel with you. If you have any questions, ask away.:)

Aum Namasivaya

TrikonaBindu
07 June 2013, 11:24 AM
:) Namaste MormonGuy :)

Just smiling after waiting one week to get this news.

:) Jai Ganesha! :)

Believer
07 June 2013, 11:51 PM
Namaste,

.......15 minutes away :p. Can't wait to go back next week!

If it is only 15 minutes away, why wait till next week? Most temples are open from early morning to around noon and then from say 4-5 PM till about 8 PM. So you could stop by on your way to or after work to have a darshan of the deities and say your prayers. Just a thought, not pushing you to go there more often.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
08 June 2013, 07:21 AM
Namaste,

If it is only 15 minutes away, why wait till next week? Most temples are open from early morning to around noon and then from say 4-5 PM till about 8 PM. So you could stop by on your way to or after work to have a darshan of the deities and say your prayers. Just a thought, not pushing you to go there more often.

Pranam.

Vannakkam Believer: Thanks for the reminder, especially to the newcomers to the faith and to this site. People coming over from western faiths would have it solidly programmed in the subconscious that religion (attendance at a house of worship) is a once a week thing. Still, some of the smaller temples I know who rely on lay priests and can't affors to hire a full time priest, are only open once, sometimes twice a week.

Of course in Hinduism we have the 10 minute visit, commonly. One of the problems for Mormon Guy and this particular temple is parking. As I recall, it's street parking only.

I feel incredibly blessed to be able to go every day.

Aum Namasivaya

MormonGuy
09 June 2013, 08:23 PM
Vannakkam Mormon Guy:

I'm glad you liked it. The more times you go, the more comfortable you'll feel, and the more comfortable devotees will feel with you. If you have any questions, ask away.:)

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking that it might make sense that whenever I decide to go, it should be at the same time, since I'm assuming that some people that go frequently would go at the same time each day/week, and the priests would be the same at that time as well.

Hmmm questions...one I have is, I noticed that when one person walked in, he did some sort of motion with his hand in the air, I didn't really catch it. It sort of reminded me of the sign of the cross done by some Christian denominations, so I'm wondering if you knew what he did?

Also, do I need to have my hands clasped as I walk around? It was funny, I didn't really know what to do with my hands while I was walking around. And I'm assuming it's always okay to just sit on the floor wherever, even if a ritual is going on? Is there a time where I should definitely stand?

Thanks!

MormonGuy
09 June 2013, 08:27 PM
Namaste,

Pranam.

Thank you. I was out of town the last few days, hence why this coming week. Also, as Eastern Mind mentioned, yes, parking is an issue there as well, since it's street parking. Also, I work from 3-11, so I'm assuming that the temple would be closed just before I head to work (the temple website says it's open from 8am-9pm, no mention of closures, though it does look like the schedule ends around 11am then resumes around 5pm...maybe I should call and ask). But I do agree that I'll try to stop in once in awhile since it's so close to me.

Eastern Mind
10 June 2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking that it might make sense that whenever I decide to go, it should be at the same time, since I'm assuming that some people that go frequently would go at the same time each day/week, and the priests would be the same at that time as well.

Hmmm questions...one I have is, I noticed that when one person walked in, he did some sort of motion with his hand in the air, I didn't really catch it. It sort of reminded me of the sign of the cross done by some Christian denominations, so I'm wondering if you knew what he did?

Also, do I need to have my hands clasped as I walk around? It was funny, I didn't really know what to do with my hands while I was walking around. And I'm assuming it's always okay to just sit on the floor wherever, even if a ritual is going on? Is there a time where I should definitely stand?

Thanks!

Vannakkam: Not sure about the same time idea. There are some Hindus who favour one day over another, but overall, we're pretty sporadic in temple attendance.

No idea about the hand motions. You might see somebody pulling their ears and moving up and down though. This is a common gesture for Ganesha. Most people just walk around normally without hands clasped. Only when actually praying or beseeching blessings at one of the shrines, generally. During the height of the puja, often the clasped hands are raised above the head. Maybe this is what you saw.

If most of other people stand, so should you. Usually people stand during the main aarti (waving of lights) or abhishekham (ritual bathing) .

If it says its open from 8 - 9, then it is. But from 1 - 5 or so, there will be little going on in terms of pujas.

Aum Namasivaya

MormonGuy
12 June 2013, 09:30 PM
Vannakkam: Not sure about the same time idea. There are some Hindus who favour one day over another, but overall, we're pretty sporadic in temple attendance.

No idea about the hand motions. You might see somebody pulling their ears and moving up and down though. This is a common gesture for Ganesha. Most people just walk around normally without hands clasped. Only when actually praying or beseeching blessings at one of the shrines, generally. During the height of the puja, often the clasped hands are raised above the head. Maybe this is what you saw.

If most of other people stand, so should you. Usually people stand during the main aarti (waving of lights) or abhishekham (ritual bathing) .

If it says its open from 8 - 9, then it is. But from 1 - 5 or so, there will be little going on in terms of pujas.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks, that was helpful, as always.

So I went again yesterday, though again I wasn't able to be there for one of the scheduled rituals. Indeed, the temple is open outside of the times listed for rites. From what I observed, it seemed like devotees would bring offerings, then give them to a priest, who I'm guessing offered them to the deity of choice.

So this time, I walked around again a few times, then "meditated" (I guess that word has a specific meaning in the East, so for me, it's more like I "pondered"/mentally prayed) while sitting before Ganesh. There was another black guy there, as well as a white guy with his Indian girlfriend, which was nice I guess :p. I noticed one girl was circumabulating (sp?) the Ganesh shrine repeatedly, and was noting each full circle she made on a piece of paper.

New questions:

1) If I decide I'd like to offer something to a deity, how would I go about doing that? Would I just bring, for example, some fruits and ask a priest that I'd like to offer them to Vishnu, for example? I think I noticed some people bringing their offerings just in a plastic bag, so I'm assuming that's okay? I also noticed that there was like a blue mat or something near certain shrines and a sign that said to leave your offering there. So I'm guessing I could just leave it there instead of directly giving it to a priest? Are there specific items that should be offered to specific gods? Basically, what is the offering process like? Oh and there are boxes that say "Hundu" (if I remember correctly). Is that just for offering money?

2) Next to the Ganesh shrine there's a table with various things like, I'm assuming, ash and kumkum? Why would you apply these on your forehead? How? When? From my viewpoint, it seemed like people would just go up and apply them.

3) Down the road, let's say that I'd like a ritual done for myself. Apparently you need to give the priest your name, birth star, and lineage/gotra? How would I find out the latter two? I mean, I'm assuming that birth star can be figured out, but what about gotra for those not in a Hindu family?

I'm sure I have a lot more questions, but that's all I can think of right now. Time to start reading my copy of "What is Hinduism?" by the Himalayan Academy that just arrived today!

Eastern Mind
13 June 2013, 02:11 PM
. I noticed one girl was circumabulating (sp?) the Ganesh shrine repeatedly, and was noting each full circle she made on a piece of paper.

New questions:

1) If I decide I'd like to offer something to a deity, how would I go about doing that? Would I just bring, for example, some fruits and ask a priest that I'd like to offer them to Vishnu, for example? I think I noticed some people bringing their offerings just in a plastic bag, so I'm assuming that's okay? I also noticed that there was like a blue mat or something near certain shrines and a sign that said to leave your offering there. So I'm guessing I could just leave it there instead of directly giving it to a priest? Are there specific items that should be offered to specific gods? Basically, what is the offering process like? Oh and there are boxes that say "Hundu" (if I remember correctly). Is that just for offering money?

2) Next to the Ganesh shrine there's a table with various things like, I'm assuming, ash and kumkum? Why would you apply these on your forehead? How? When? From my viewpoint, it seemed like people would just go up and apply them.

3) Down the road, let's say that I'd like a ritual done for myself. Apparently you need to give the priest your name, birth star, and lineage/gotra? How would I find out the latter two? I mean, I'm assuming that birth star can be figured out, but what about gotra for those not in a Hindu family?

I'm sure I have a lot more questions, but that's all I can think of right now. Time to start reading my copy of "What is Hinduism?" by the Himalayan Academy that just arrived today!

Vannakkam: The girl circumabulating would be counting, because certain numbers like 21, 51, 108, are considered auspicious. That is quite common. Probably 108 times around.

1) You can purchase an archana (specific prayer, personalised) from the office. They will give you a ticket and give that to the priest along with your offerings. You can leave then on the stands too. The inner purpose of an offering is humility and it opens you up to the vibration more. Many of the people you see would have most likely done that. But temples do vary.

2) It varies but use 3 fingers (Always use your right hand!) for the ash (vibhuti) and try to make 3 lines across your forehead. Next take the wet yellow (sandalwood powder) with the ring finger of right hand, and apply it to the brow, between the eyebrows. Lastly use the same finger to get some red powder (kumkum) and place it on top of the sandalwood.

3) Search on-line for 'nakshatra calculator' and you will discover programs to calculate it. You need time and day of birth and location in longitude and latitude. Some better sites have larger cities in their database. That will give you your nakshatra. For gotra, most westerners don't have one, but many priests will say 'Siva gotra' as we're all Siva's family. It's okay to leave it blank too.

It's Hundi, and you guessed right. It is just a simple anonymous donation box.

Best wishes on this adventure.

Aum Namasivaya

MormonGuy
14 June 2013, 10:26 AM
Vannakkam: The girl circumabulating would be counting, because certain numbers like 21, 51, 108, are considered auspicious. That is quite common. Probably 108 times around.

1) You can purchase an archana (specific prayer, personalised) from the office. They will give you a ticket and give that to the priest along with your offerings. You can leave then on the stands too. The inner purpose of an offering is humility and it opens you up to the vibration more. Many of the people you see would have most likely done that. But temples do vary.

2) It varies but use 3 fingers (Always use your right hand!) for the ash (vibhuti) and try to make 3 lines across your forehead. Next take the wet yellow (sandalwood powder) with the ring finger of right hand, and apply it to the brow, between the eyebrows. Lastly use the same finger to get some red powder (kumkum) and place it on top of the sandalwood.

3) Search on-line for 'nakshatra calculator' and you will discover programs to calculate it. You need time and day of birth and location in longitude and latitude. Some better sites have larger cities in their database. That will give you your nakshatra. For gotra, most westerners don't have one, but many priests will say 'Siva gotra' as we're all Siva's family. It's okay to leave it blank too.

It's Hundi, and you guessed right. It is just a simple anonymous donation box.

Best wishes on this adventure.

Aum Namasivaya

Ok great, thanks so much.

Also, I found the "Visiting a Hindu Temple-A Beginner's Guide" by Hinduism Today very helpful.

Seeker
14 June 2013, 04:55 PM
Namaste,

I drop money at the hundies, while I am at USA. But whenever I visit India , I make it a point to drop my donations in the pundit's arti plate. The reason is two fold.

- Most of the pundits are dirt poor , living on sub-poverty wages. They are smart enough to lead a successful life in the business world , but their love of temple duty keeps them there. By dropping the money in the plate , my donations go the pundits family.

- The govt collects the money dropped at the hundies and part of it is stolen by bureaucrats and the remaining part is used by govt to various programs like subsidizing the haj trips