PDA

View Full Version : Weird Tingling Feelings...

Webimpulse
28 May 2013, 06:20 PM
Namaste all,

I don't know how the title of this post will come across, but regardless I'm hoping to get some information on what it might mean.

I had a very blissful meditation experience today, but what happened during parts of it was that I got some weird tingling sensations. And I'm not talking about my leg falling asleep (although that did happen) - I had some unusually strong tingling sensations that were right below my eyes, some on either side of my nose, and some radiating from the top of the head down one side of my forehead.

These sensations might most likely mean nothing, but I figured I'd ask just in case. They seemed to happen when my meditation got to be most blissful. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

satay
28 May 2013, 07:08 PM
Namaste Webimpulse,
I am only a novice practioner and you should wait for someone advanced in meditation practice to answer your question but I wanted to say that I have experienced what you describe. I believe it is built up stress that body is releasing during and sometimes after the sessions. But I could be wrong.

Webimpulse
28 May 2013, 07:26 PM
Namaste Webimpulse,
I am only a novice practioner and you should wait for someone advanced in meditation practice to answer your question but I wanted to say that I have experienced what you describe. I believe it is built up stress that body is releasing during and sometimes after the sessions. But I could be wrong.

Namaste Satay,

I believe you may be right - when I took lessons in meditation from teachers from the Art of Living organization, I do remember now that these teachers said something along these lines. I seem to have forgotten that point momentarily, but thanks to you I remember it and now have some encouragement that I'm doing my meditation correctly. :)

Of course, if anyone here who's advanced in meditation has any other interpretation they want to throw in, I'm willing to listen. :D

Kalicharan Tuvij
29 May 2013, 02:21 AM
Namaste Webimpulse and Satay

In my opinion it is the "kundalini" that is showing signs of unrest resulting in the picking up of a small frequency and resonating with it, amplifying it. The magnifying can also get out of control! The energy doesn't like the "blockades".
So it in an instant picks up other frequencies and everything explodes.

It is not desirable, nor necessary. In meditation we should concentrate on all "chakras". And should repose full faith in Hanuman, in case something goes wrong. This is a field where the "official" Hindu theories (such as Vedanta) have no scope whatsoever.

Again, this is my opinion..

Jeffery D. Long
29 May 2013, 09:04 AM
I would need to know more, but you are certainly sensing currents of energy moving through your subtle bodies. We become more aware of these in meditation and some of them become more pronounced then as well. We similarly become more aware of currents in the physical body as well (heartbeat, circulation of blood, and so on). I suspect it marks a deepening of your practice, as does the blissful feeling you described. Keep it up!

Webimpulse
29 May 2013, 02:05 PM
Namaste Kalicharan Tuvij,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your words - are you saying the feelings I've been experiencing are the result of an out of control kundalini? If you could please clarify I would appreciate it. As a note you might want to know, I usually precede my meditation by chanting "Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha" 108 times.

And namaste Mr. Long,

That's also a good point, and maybe that coincides with what Kalicharan Tuvij was describing. I most certainly intend to keep up my meditation practice! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

yajvan
29 May 2013, 08:13 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

I had some unusually strong tingling sensations that were right below my eyes, some on either side of my nose, and some radiating from the top of the head down one side of my forehead.

These sensations might most likely mean nothing, but I figured I'd ask just in case. They seemed to happen when my meditation got to be most blissful. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

This is 'standard issue' as one practices... Many experiences of this nature are called out in our upaniṣad-s, tantra-s, via various dhāraṇa-s¹ and the like. They come and go like clouds.

iti śivaṁ

1. dhāraṇa ~ practices; the act of holding; retention , preserving , protecting , maintaining

Kalicharan Tuvij
30 May 2013, 05:56 AM
namaste Webimpulse

An invocation of Lord Ganesha means all "chakras" are taken care of- thus answering my query- since Ganesha the AshtaVinayaka contains all sapta lokas within himself, he himself being the eighth Vinayaka: the sum of all seven. These seven Gods are manifest in our nervous system as the seven chakras. (so "chakras" are meant only in terms of the nervous system) However they are everywhere, "the everything (para/ apara)" is in fact composed of them.

AshtaVasu Agni is no different than the Ganesha (Rgvedic language however keeps everybody- Shaivas, Vaishnavas, Shaktas, etc- interested and involved!).

Caution: Agni is often practically equated with Surya, the seventh; same case with Ganesha, so one should care not getting obsessed over the sahasradhara (7th) chakra.

So we can talk about Vinayakas and Vasus instead of chakras.

Now, the "kundalini" and the rest/ unrest of it.
The first three Vasus belong to the greater (triple) Prithvi, and the other three to the greater Dyo (svarga). The act of connecting the two is a prominent goal of Yoga, so that DyavaPrithvi is complete/ created. Tapa keeps us inch closer to its perfection, sometimes (or may be more often) Gods are impatient and it happens suddenly, and is called the awakening of "kundalini". But is not necessary.

ps: Vedanta and Tantra are outliers to each other.

saswathy
15 March 2014, 10:00 AM
DEAR FRIEND ,
when meditation is done for some time these experiences are common. After some time you see various colours of lights . This tingling sensation in the face , sometimes in the finger tips , sometimes a sensation of cool breeze , sometimes a futtering like flutter of birds' wings , crawling of ants -- all these and more are felt. The colours are known as tanmathras . the other sensations all indicate 'pranotthana ' . It is not exactly kundalini awakening . But it is the step before kundalini awakening .SOME people get elated and become over confident or a sort of egoistic when the 'Pranotthana stops at that stage .When once the stage is crossed with out any hurdles , one would hear celestial music , body becomes lighter , face becomes glowy , lips become red , there appears a special aura which is not exactly describable . When the sadhaka thinks of somebody that some body unexpectedly rings up . Many clairevoyant audiovoyant experiences take place . But all these can't be exactly described kundalini awakening . these all are preceding experiences . best wishes ----- Saswathy

saswathy
18 March 2014, 12:00 AM
Dear friend .
life is not an experiece of one life time . The soul makes the journey through milliuons of births and deaths . In this process it undergoes so many experiences . iN each life while repaying the karmic debts , the soul learns a new lesson . But in this process it acquires new debts also . Again it has to take new birth for the repayment of fresh debt .The process of learning is continuous . Some where along the line the soul gets maturity and understands that there is something beyond the experience and gets interested to know that . This quest for the knowledge leads to deep contemplation and meditation. Sometimes this sadhana comes to almost photo finish stage ,but the person dies . Then the soul takes the last and final birth . In such an instance the soul takes the birth which exhibits all the traits of yogi and from day number one he or she is in the path of renunciation and detachment. Thus we find yogis of great knowledge like Ramakrishna Paramhansa , Ramana Maharshi etc .The others are yogis in the offing .Unless that seed is there a person does not even get the inclination for soul realisation . Experiences which you got , show that you have started the journey of self realisation and just in the first step . But any journey has to start with first step. best wishes ---- Saswathy.

silence_speaks
18 March 2014, 06:59 AM
hariḥ oá¹
~~~~~~
namast�

This is 'standard issue' as one practices... Many experiences of this nature are called out in our upaniá¹£ad-s, tantra-s, via various dhÄraṇa-s� and the like. They come and go like clouds.

iti Å›ivaá¹

1. dhÄraṇa ~ practices; the act of holding; retention , preserving , protecting , maintaining

Dear Yajvan ji,
:) Which upanishad speaks of such experiences ? Can you throw some light ?

Love!
Silence

silence_speaks
18 March 2014, 07:05 AM
Dear WebImpulse,
:)

A rule of meditation is ... pay no attention to all your experiences... ignore.
:) ofcourse thats not to say that if you feel a snake on your feet you ignore it :)!

but more importantly ... avoid experiences ... remain with the meditation itself. I suspect that such experiences could be because of a overly sensitive mind ... but even an overly sensitive mind is not advisable in my view ...
you have to see yourself as unaffected by mind
not discover new experiences, feelings etc.

One Suggestion I can give: find a good guru [I would suggest Arsha Vidhya Gurukul or Ramakrishna Mission or Chinmaya Mission. ].

Please dont mind my views ... I am no guru so what I say is as a friend and a friendly opinion. We like to feel nice about these experiences, but they can many times turn out to be unnecessary hurdles along the way. The moment we feel special about them we tend to encourage them and when we encourage, the mind functions more and more in those paths giving us even more experiences of such sort.

Crux of Meditation is not to get a new experience. It is to remain independent and unaffected by mind ... in other words, discovery that I am not the Mind is meditation. Though in this process some lulling of mind may be necessary.

Love!
Silence

saswathy
20 March 2014, 01:08 AM
Dear friends ,
There are millions of universes beyond our universe . Time is a circle and what goes up comes down and vice versa . Now all these universes are filled with entities , some are good and some bad . When meditation is done , in the initial stages , the beings from other worlds , can easily enter our psyche and play with our conciouness .So it is better to have some manthra or image where some protection is ensued .After reaching an advanced stage , may be the need is surpassed . I think , Gopikrishna , who gave his experiences in kundalini journey , might have passed through those terryfying experiences because he did not have any manthra or guru .But his dauntless pursual had ultimately gave success to him.Any way mine is a suggestion to all seekers . ---- saswathy

gord96
01 April 2014, 09:37 AM
Crux of Meditation is not to get a new experience. It is to remain independent and unaffected by mind ... in other words, discovery that I am not the Mind is meditation.[/B] Though in this process some lulling of mind may be necessary.

Excellent comment! :)

saswathy
02 April 2014, 12:22 AM
Yes , the intention of meditation is not to get experiences . On the other hand the experiences or expectation of experiences act as stumbling blocks in the smooth sailing in the journey. But they are inevitable and necessary mile stones .It is not easy to get in to the mindless state in meditation . Actually in the mindless state even Ananda can not be felt . We can say it is a state of different conciosness