PDA

View Full Version : Vaishnava Warriors of Medieval India

dharamsingh
30 May 2013, 01:32 AM
I want to know some of the famous Vaishnava warriors in India during the Mughal Raj. Does anybody have any info on them?

kettlelogic
25 July 2013, 04:45 AM
The closest I can see is Chatrapati Shivaji.. he was deeply influenced by Ramayana and Mahabharata. He had great respect and used to consult Vaishnava Saint Sri Ramdas.

Banarasi
27 July 2013, 10:48 PM
I would suppose that many Rajputs were Vaishnava (e.g. Maharana Pratap) as Sant Tulsidas, Soordas, Mirabai and ShriVallabhacharya were contemporaries of Akbar and would definitely have influenced the kings.

As far as I know, Shri Valabhacharya established the Dwaraka temple with help from merchants and kings.

Jai Sitaram

dharamsingh
02 August 2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.topnews.in/files/Chhatrapati-Shivaji.jpg

http://www.exoticindia.com/books/maharana_pratap_the_symbol_of_pride_and_honour_idj573.jpg

Hmm both of them are depicted with the Shaiv markings on the head, so chances are they are not Vaishnav.

Sudarshan
28 August 2013, 03:34 AM
In his work called Sankalpasuryodaya, Srimad Vedanta Desika has eulogized a medieval warrior named Goppanna ( he was the minister of the king of Vijayanagara named Hariharaya) who strongly resisted the Muslim invasion of the South, and helped rescue several temple idols from being destroyed by Mallik Kaffur. This was a rare instance of "nara-stuti" in his works and it tells us how highly this general was regarded by Swami Desikan.

Banarasi
29 August 2013, 12:15 AM
Namaskaaram:

Shivaji's guru was Shri Samartha Ramadas and was also attached to Sant Tukaram. So despite the markings depicted, I would guess that Shivaji was Vaishnav. As for Maharana Pratap, from what I have heard, he used to frequent Brindavan and also sought advice from Tulsidas... so again I would guess Vaishnav. On the other hand, I think Kshatriyas of North India traditionally pay their respect to Shiva (e.g. the war cry "Har Har Mahadev") and so I would not be surprised if they sport vibhuti on their foreheads.

Jai SitaRam