PDA

View Full Version : "It Belongs in a Museum!"

Webimpulse
30 May 2013, 05:54 PM
Namaste all,

I've revised this thread at the advice of Eastern Mind - I admit my first post was a bit on the ignorant side. I wasn't trying to be celebratory of museum pieces and how their acquisition and holding could be in violation of the rights of the people who first made them. Still, though, in the case of the Memorial Art Gallery (http://mag.rochester.edu) in Rochester, NY, there are some important things to keep in mind: that the gallery is almost a century old, and thus was founded at a time when archaeological digs and discoveries of artifacts like the ones in their collection weren't treated with as much sensitivity as they are now. Plus, their pieces probably got exchanged through so many hands and middlemen before winding up at the MAG that I think it's safe to say that if they are looted pieces, MAG certainly wouldn't have known about it.

So, with that in mind, let's let our minds wander about the piece at this link:

http://magart.rochester.edu/Obj7891?sid=8903&x=157198&port=617

What might have transpired with this piece prior to MAG winding up with it somehow?

Webimpulse
31 May 2013, 02:21 PM
Post deleted for the same reason as above.

Eastern Mind
31 May 2013, 02:57 PM
Sorry for the shameless thread bump, but if anyone else is interested in seeing what the local art gallery in my area (called the Memorial Art Gallery (http://mag.rochester.edu)) has in terms of Hindu art, there's a few more pictures of their collection here:

http://magart.rochester.edu/PRT541?sid=8741&x=153696&x=153697

They've held some pictures back, obviously for the intent of getting you to see them in person. (Though if any of you are so enticed, please let me know. :) )

Vannakkam: Personally, I think there is an excellent chance they are a result of looting, and I can't support it, just given the chance of that. First Nations peoples in Canada and the US have had a ridiculously hard time getting stuff back, and that's in the same county over just 100 years. When some 10 000 Hindu temples have been destroyed by invasions, just where did all the Murties go? This is international spanning 400 years, so proving it would be ridiculously costly and futile.

Aum Namasivaya

Webimpulse
31 May 2013, 03:31 PM
Vannakkam: Personally, I think there is an excellent chance they are a result of looting, and I can't support it, just given the chance of that. First Nations peoples in Canada and the US have had a ridiculously hard time getting stuff back, and that's in the same county over just 100 years. When some 10 000 Hindu temples have been destroyed by invasions, just where did all the Murties go? This is international spanning 400 years, so proving it would be ridiculously costly and futile.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind,

Okay, you've made your point. I am deeply sorry for the offense. I'm not sure how to atone for this wrongdoing however...I'll start by deleting the original postings.

Again I deeply apologize. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time, I was just looking for something interesting to post.

philosoraptor
31 May 2013, 07:34 PM
I am very, very disturbed very time I see icons from Hindu temples ending up in museums. The deity whose presence is worshiped within these icons is cherished by his or her respective devotees, and it is heartbreaking for them to see the deity being kept in a museum like some ordinary statue.

Webimpulse
31 May 2013, 08:54 PM
I am very, very disturbed very time I see icons from Hindu temples ending up in museums. The deity whose presence is worshiped within these icons is cherished by his or her respective devotees, and it is heartbreaking for them to see the deity being kept in a museum like some ordinary statue.

Namaste Philosoraptor,

You're right...the fact that I was talking about it as if it was nothing is unforgivable of me.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry to have disturbed you, though I recognize the damage is already done and I can't reverse it.

I'll ask Satay to delete this thread immediately. I wish I could do more.

satay
03 June 2013, 09:46 AM
Admin Note

Thread under review.