PDA

View Full Version : This is a great community

Banarasi
31 May 2013, 09:21 PM
Namaskaaram

I have been lurking for quite a while and thus decided to join. Thanks for allowing me here.

I am from India and currently planning relocation back home after more than a decade in the US - of which I have great memories. I was raised in a moderately religious Shaiva household. While our family is traditionally Shaivaite, we are all attracted more to Srimad Bhagavatam, Bhakta Vijayam etc. more than anything else. Thus, I have inherited a sense of happy balance that pervades this site.

This seems to be a great place with well adjusted, confident and balanced people. I hope to continue my learning here. A casual glance at the introduction of members here reveals a profound sense of inquiry into self and the theoretical aspects of Sanatana Dharma. This is daunting to me and I hope to learn and occasionally complement the discussions as my upbringing is almost the opposite (satsangs/pilgrimages/stories and compositions of bhakts).

I was actually a Hindu by default only till my parents introduced me to great masters and after a lot of laziness and skepticism, I slowly started appreciating the beauty of Sanatana Dharma.

As a Shaivaite, I believe “Vaishnavaanam pratham Shambhu” (Shiva is the first Vaishnava) as exemplified by Shri Adi Shankaracharya being the first great acharya in this yuga who wrote many compositions on Krishna and Shivji’s participation in the Ras Leela. Of course, I know (and am delighted by it) that Shaivas here whose “ishta devata” (favored manifestation) is Shiva himself would feel otherwise. I feel this diversity and friendly rivalry is to be cherished.

I had the good fortune to have lived in Varanasi and like its contradictions and antiquity. I am not very prompt/quick and so I may still continue lurking for the most part. I hope this is OK.

Jai Sitaram

Webimpulse
03 June 2013, 12:08 PM
Namaste Banarasi,

I hope your stay at the HDF turns out to be an enjoyable one! :)

Your user profile says you're a professor...if I may be so curious, at which school and of which subject?

Banarasi
04 June 2013, 09:15 PM
Hi

I was (am in transit) a Business School Professor. I have PMed other details to you.

Jai SitaRam