PDA

View Full Version : Likhita Japa

catnip
04 June 2013, 02:09 PM
Namaste,

I was wondering about how to go about likhita japa. Should it be in Devanagari? can it be in English letters? what about making pictures with it? can i use line guides? When using a notebook, can multiple mantras be in one notebook? What is everyone's opinion?

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

Viraja
04 June 2013, 02:20 PM
When speaking of Likita japa, what comes to mind immediately is Sri Hanuman standing with a garland of paper rolls which all have 'Sri Rama Jayam' written in them!

Once it is stated there was an unmarried lady for a very long time.. She had a younger brother who sought the assistance of an elderly man, a family friend to visit the late Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Swamiji. The elderly family friend used to write 'Sri Rama Jayam' (in Tamil) each morning 108 times without fail and he had written nearly 1 crore of them till that point. So the young boy set out with the elderly man to see Sri Sankaracharya Swamigal. Upon seeing the pair, the swamiji did not say anything and would not ask them to say a word. He accepted the elderly man's offering of the book written with Sri Rama Jayam and smiled at them and offered them a blessing gesture with his hand. Upon their return, within a week's time the boy's elder sister got engaged and then married promptly! Great is Likhita japa written in any language and great in this case, is the elderly man's selfless giving away of his 1 crore Likhita japa! Ofcourse great is the blessing of Sri Kanchi Periyavar!

Jetavan
04 June 2013, 04:38 PM
Should it be in Devanagari? can it be in English letters? what about making pictures with it? can i use line guides? When using a notebook, can multiple mantras be in one notebook? Greetings,

Yes.

Necromancer
05 June 2013, 06:59 AM
Namaste, Catnip.

When I first got married, I was introduced to Likhita Japa as another aspect of devotion.

I had a huge notebook and every day I would write 108 times:

ॐ नमः शिवाय

I saved up all the mantras for a year...then, each year on Diwali, paper boats were made from all the pages and a diya was lit in them and floated on the river.

I did that for about 4-5 years and stopped.

With your throat problems, Likhita Japa is an excellent idea!

It's better to write in Sanskrit/Hindi and if it's a very simple mantra, it shouldn't take much time to learn how to write it down.

Good luck with it.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

catnip
09 June 2013, 06:05 PM
Namaste,

Can someone please provide me with the Diacritical markings for "Om Gam Ganapataye Namah" so i can figure out how to write it in Devanagari? I have a book on how to learn Sanskrit so I can figure it out from there on... I need this for my Likhita Japa

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

EDIT: i actually don't know what mantra i want to use... so i'm going to look around more

ShivaFan
10 June 2013, 01:25 AM
Namaste

oṁ gaṁ gaṇapataye namaḥ

NOTE: The "e" in "ganapataye" is also sometimes spelled gaṇapatayé

Oṁ Gaṁ Gaṇapataye namaḥ

Let anyone know if this is wrong!

ॐ_गं_गणपतये_नमः

Om Namah Sivaya

--------------------------
Notes: Parvati asked Lord Shiva, "Whom are you meditating upon?". Lord Shiva replied to the Great Goddess, "On the One who is Supporter of All the Universe". So Devi asked if She could meditate upon Him. And so Shiva initiated Devi into the power of the bija mantra Gam. And so Parvati performed austerities in the Lenyadri cave for 12 years, upon which Ganapati the Lord of the Ganas manifested before Her. This cave is the site of the Shri Girijatmaka or created by the Daughter of the Mountain near Pune in Maharashtra.

ShivaFan
10 June 2013, 11:47 AM
Namaste

I noticed the markups do not show up on some computers.

So I am adding a graphic file below showing the markups:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/8864/mantra01.jpg

Om Namah Sivaya