PDA

View Full Version : Brahmacharya, Kundalini

Loser name
17 June 2013, 01:03 AM
Hi, I am quite new to forums so I do'nt really know what I am doing. I attempted to practice Brahmacharya a while back (unsuccessfully might I add) and I could feel my kundalini flowing upwards along my spine and when it reached my heart area and I felt happier than I had ever felt before
in my life and my whole attitude and outlook on life changed and I
began to feel more generous and considerate and started doing more for
others around me. All was going well and I was enjoying this new state
of being for some time until I suddenly felt as if some entity or
persons from outside of myself where attacking me with negative
energy. I began having frightening dreams and visions which I felt
where the effects of some kind of psychic attack (I know this all
might sound slightly crazy to you but I am sure that you are open
minded) and hearing voices talking to me (some of the words which I
could not understand or I had never heard before) and visions of a
person coming in through some kind of gateway.
I felt as if my energy was now infected with some kind of negativity so
I decided that it would be best to let it go and I voluntarily
released my sexual energy (I hope that you are comfortable me
discussing this, I just really need someone to talk to about
this) and I felt it rush downwards rapidly through my heart and lower
chakra points. When I was meditating and rising up into my higher
energy centres I was not having erections while I was sleeping and it felt as though I was beginning to transcend the thought realm and my mind was clearer but now I have been feeling a bit scattered and I have been having strange and scary dreams and have not been feeling 100% myself as of late. I know that it will get better again but it is rather uncomfortable and disconcerting to say the least. What is going on? Any advice is much appreciated.
:confused:

Kalicharan Tuvij
17 June 2013, 12:13 PM
namaste Loser

Take this just as a friendly. I will speak from my pov, so I could be wrong here or there.
I think at least one cycle of rewiring is completed, that is good. When one chooses certain options, one has chosen certain versions of oneself! Kind of taking destiny in one's own hand-- from a layman pov.

No one can be a "convert" into Hinduism, one just "evolves" into it. The God who makes you choose (options) can be, therefore, Jesus, if you are still close to him. Or it could be Hanuman.

So, first of all, it is okay if we falter: that is what humans are supposed to do, isn't it? So in case fear shows its face, just let Hanuman in your heart, or let yourself in his. In my earlier post today here (http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=104729#post104729) I have given some useful links, very soothing and strengthening.

As I said the process of "choosing" is a constant one, so you will be tested again and again, probably. You may also have to take the battle to the sixth cakra, a rewiring, even more fundamental or subtle, may be required. Keep Hanuman with you, if need be, I am sure others such as Ganesha and/ kAli will also help you.

And don't be shy to think of yourself as someone evolved into Hinduism.

Again, don't take anything written here as authoritative. :o

NayaSurya
17 June 2013, 01:36 PM
Hello <3

Recently i was hearing things. It happened quite suddenly out of the blue...first time in my life and it scared me so badly. It turned out i was going to die from a severe deficiency of B12. It causes both visual and auditory hallucinations.

I was having them.

I would sing Mantra, and i could hear the most amazing beautiful singing...which was going on right along with me. I saw halos around bodies and heads....saw shining in the temple....saw beautiful things.

The darker aspects were I felt as if i were being attacked, i wasn't ...it was my condition which caused every single thing which happened to me. Only when i began treatment did i find out that every symptom, the voices, the visions, the tingling, pain and night terrors/panic attacks....even the dark dreams and then later not being able to eat or sleep...all of this was the final stage of my illness.

I am not saying that this is 100% physical. But please, before thinking it is supernatural/spiritual...please see a physician. Just rule out a critical condition as the cause.

Only once i was treated with high doses of B12 did the singing subside.

Now, was this spiritual voices that i heard because i was dying, or was this my own mind creating them as a hallucination?

I will never know. Because the B12 fixed the problem, saved my life...and I will never seek to find the answer for the origin.

Please, if you have never heard voices before prior to this episode...please visit a doctor.

People who are older 30-40 who have never heard voices should be especially aware that this does not indicate mental illness, but a critical organic problem.

Take care of yourself, and i will be praying for you. Hari Om <3

Ra K Sankar
19 June 2013, 10:18 PM
Namaste

First of all, do "not brood" over these "attacks".
For, such brooding engenders and fosters "guilt".
Guilt afflicts the root or memory chakra.
This further aggravates the impact of the attack.

Do not observe outwardly the movements of these attacks,
for such observation strengthens the weakening sense-impressions.

Do not hold on to any "ideal" or "should-be" as to celibacy, etc.
For, such imposition strengthens the weakening sense-impressions.

Observe "inwardly" whatever happens during these attacks,
by looking at
a) "wherefrom these attacks originate, and
b) "wherefrom their impacts flow".
That quells the flow of these weakening sense-impressions.

Just observe, without criticizing, without criticizing at all.
For, such criticism strengthens the weakening sense-impressions.

If you can practise "Self-Inquiry" taught by Sage Ramana,
the problem will be resolved permanently.

You may also "fling away" the "sense-impressions"
as they enter through your aura above your head.
Sri Aurobindo says in His text "On Himself"
that He practised this technique for just 3 days
and attained the Realization of Passive Brahman (Self).

You may read "Letters on Yoga" by Sri Aurobindo.
These are available free for download from the web.

Best wishes
Ra K Sankar

Amrut
20 June 2013, 04:25 AM
Hi, I am quite new to forums so I do'nt really know what I am doing. I attempted to practice Brahmacharya a while back (unsuccessfully might I add) and I could feel my kundalini flowing upwards along my spine and when it reached my heart area and I felt happier than I had ever felt before
in my life and my whole attitude and outlook on life changed and I
began to feel more generous and considerate and started doing more for
others around me. All was going well and I was enjoying this new state
of being for some time until I suddenly felt as if some entity or
persons from outside of myself where attacking me with negative
energy. I began having frightening dreams and visions which I felt
where the effects of some kind of psychic attack (I know this all
might sound slightly crazy to you but I am sure that you are open
minded) and hearing voices talking to me (some of the words which I
could not understand or I had never heard before) and visions of a
person coming in through some kind of gateway.
I felt as if my energy was now infected with some kind of negativity so
I decided that it would be best to let it go and I voluntarily
released my sexual energy (I hope that you are comfortable me
discussing this, I just really need someone to talk to about
this) and I felt it rush downwards rapidly through my heart and lower
chakra points. When I was meditating and rising up into my higher
energy centres I was not having erections while I was sleeping and it felt as though I was beginning to transcend the thought realm and my mind was clearer but now I have been feeling a bit scattered and I have been having strange and scary dreams and have not been feeling 100% myself as of late. I know that it will get better again but it is rather uncomfortable and disconcerting to say the least. What is going on? Any advice is much appreciated.
:confused:

Namaste,

I have also experienced rise of kundalini and has similar experience like bliss at the back heart chakra i.e. not on front heart but on back on spine. Even that was the day which changed my life. It is the first experience of divinity according to Sri Ramakrishna.

Regarding sex energy, you will have to pray to higher soul (or God) or mentally bring it to crown chakra i.e. sahastra chakra.

You can bring divine energy into sex chakra and then mix them, clean sex energy and then raise it to crown and spread it into brain.

Regarding the visions, your ajna chakra (3rd eye) is activated. Visualize ajna chakra in front of you and then paint it with light blue colour (which is very light and not dark coloured energy). Pray to God to reduce hyper active chakra of ajna chakra to normal.

When ajna is hyper active, or activated many feel pressure between 2 eye brows. You feel something is there in between eyebrows.

Read any spiritual books before going to sleep.

Do not think sex as negative energy. It is natural. Forget that you are not getting erections at night.

Hope this helps.

Aum

Amrut

Necromancer
23 July 2013, 09:55 AM
Namaste.

Okay, touchy subject but I shall be discreet.

When I first started to meditate and experience 'things'...they weren't just limited to the spiritual.

I faced a huge block in my practices due to guilt and I couldn't move on.

One could say I was stuck in Swadhisthana.

I was forever trying to justify getting horny during meditation with a 'I just don't think about God in that way' and couldn't come to terms with how a woman could worship a male deity...

So, I kept on ignoring it, pushing it further down into my subconscious with a 'and no, the Lingam is not a phallic symbol either, so just get lost now and let me meditate'.

Still, I couldn't meditate and felt uncomfortable until I finally dropped it and 'gave in'. I had no desire to do so, but I was curious.

Thank God it all stopped after that one time and I was left in peace just to meditate and 'get on with it' after that.

I passed through that stage and that Chakra.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Necromancer
24 July 2013, 04:10 AM
As an addendum to the above.

It was very difficult to love Lord Shiva holistically. I had already given Him my heart, mind and soul but he couldn't have my body?

I was just assuming that was His anyway until I actually realised what the implications of that was and begged Him to stop teasing me because it made me feel hella uncomfortable.

So yeah, I still experience that sensation from time to time. It's nothing new...after all, I love God with everything I am...but even still, I will always bring my focus straight back to my breath, muttering something about veerya conservation under it, then spend the rest of my meditation time wondering how this applies to Yoginis because one already knows how it applies to Yogis.

Aum Namah Shivaya

yajvan
24 July 2013, 01:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

something about veerya conservation under it

One could say I was stuck in Swadhisthana.

Let me ask this politely one additional time - we ask you define your terms. I speak for the new reader. If this is in some way a burden , then perhaps post at a future date when you can fit this in to your writings.

...greatly appreciated.

iti śivaṁ

Necromancer
24 July 2013, 01:12 PM
Namaste.

I apologise for thinking people would automatically know what I was talking about.

Veerya = Spiritual energy that's locked up in seminal discharge. To answer the question, you'll get much further in practising bramacharya than what you would if you don't.

Swadhisthana Chakra = the second of the seven Chakras, associated with carnal desire, misrepresentations of sex and surrounding guilt.

Aum Namah Shivaya

yajvan
24 July 2013, 01:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Within the yama-s¹ that are listed out by patañjali muni, we find that of brahmacarya. When one thinks of brahmacarya it conjures-up celibacy. This is all well and good. Yet far more richer then the retention of semen is the fullness offered in the term brahmā + ācārya.

Many have been taught that brahmacharya is continence, perhaps this is one facet. Yet there are many who believe too much attention has been placed on the word being ONLY celibacy. Let me explain.

Brahmā¹ is the creator, the creative impulse of all + carya is conduct. So , both put together, it is the conduct of brahmā, the source, brahman... The path that leads to brahman.
We can also look at this another way. This carya is also a carriage, a chariot. The notion is then a carriage that brings one to the source of Creation, brahman.

Yet there is more. We look to the word ācārya or a teacher 'knowing or teaching the rules'. The rules then that connect the sadhu to brahman. That is why it (brahmacarya) has been considered 'a student' as one of the āśramas or halting places, stages of life.

These additional dimensions are notions from the chāndogya upaniṣad. Continence (or the practice thereof) brings the fruit of tapas and is equal to yajña (worship). The knower of truth that practices self-control ( another form of brahmacharya) attains the same benefits as vedic rituals (yajña).
This ritual is sattrāyaṇa - sat ( truth) + trāṇa (safety or protection), another form of continence and self control. Some say 'sat' is Being + trāṇa, or the benefits of protection in every way.
So, one is protected by Being-Truth, in every way through this yajña (worship or sacrifice) and can also be accomplished by (and therefore equal to dispensing) self-control.

Here is my point
What is of great interest is the observance of silence or maunam is also = to brahmacharya. Why so? it is the silencing of the senses. Now what is the Supreme silence? Contact with ātman (Self, Being).
And when can this be done? Sitting quietly, transcending during meditation. Hence, meditation is silence and is = to brahmacharya = yajña. Hence, being in and practicing silence is of great value

There are those that try to control the senses outwardly is like holding on to the tail of a run-away horse. A noble effort, yet the horse does not go back to the barn. How is the horse brought back ? Gently , easily, with some coaching and perhaps a carrot.

All this notion of celibacy misses a key point of the knowledge ( and behavior ) of brahma+carya & brahmā + ācārya.

iti śivaṁ

brahmā = the the personal devata ; note brahman (brahma) is used for the impersonal or the Absolute ; yet one must note get caught up in this as it only brings confusion.
yama-s & niyama-s listed out:
ahiṁsā non-harm and leads us to the other 4 yama-s:
satya is true , real , actual , genuine , sincere , honest , truthful , faithful , pure , virtuous , Reality. We know there are two levels or experiences of this. One is the spoken word, the truthful word, some call this honesty.
asteya or non-stealing
brahmacarya - the conventional view: state of an unmarried religious student; a state of continence and chastity yet we talked of its components brahma+carya; .
aparigraha is to back-away from and release (from the behavior of, since it is a yama) of grasping, binding and seizing. Therefore apaigraha is a most descriptive term for the absence of hoarding
niyama-s
śauca - cleanliness. Yet in essence, purity. We can consider the purity of the heart and mind ( thinking and emotions)
santoṣa - contentment. The absence of greed and possessing in excess ( hoarding)
tapas - is from tapa , to consume by heat or fire; this tapas blooms as tapasya. Most think austerity; some think religious austerity, penance, even severe restrictions. From a practical perspective , tapasya is self-control. This tapas compliments the yama of aparigraha - see above list.
svadhayāya - is considered study. It is also self-knowing. The study that can assist the individual to become SELF-knowing.
īśvara-praṇidhāna - this is the notion of recognizing and advancing ( some say adoring) Īśvara. Creating that personal relationship with sarvesvara (Lord of All)

Amrut
25 July 2013, 12:30 AM
Namaste Yajvan ji,

Thank you for giving great explanation. I totally agree that Brahma-acharya is not just holding up sensual thoughts or urges.

I realize that as more we go towards north (brahman / God) the south (world and it's objects) automatically distance. Hence sattvik qualities like shat sampatti are automatically induced. On the other hand, our efforts to stay in satva or as you say infusing sattva increases sattva guna and hence reduces effect of non-spiritual urges and cravings.

I will attempt to define as you have pointed out.

Yajvan ji, I was thinking of creating a thread dedicated to terminology and their meaning.

I hope OP is reading it, as thread was activated after a month

Words:

Brahman = Non-dual attributeless supreme reality.

sAdhana CatuShTa varNana (four qualities to practice advaita)

Vivek Chudamani (choodamani) says that four sadhans (qualities) are necessary / required for one to progress in advaita. (sAdhana chatusta varNana).

1. Vivek - discrimination between Real and Unreal. i.e. only Atman, Brahman is real, everything else is unreal

2. Vairagya - dispassion in society (worldly matters)

3. Shatsampatti (6 values)

a. Sham – Control over mind

b. Dam – Control over 5 senses

c. Uprati – Saturation point (control over mins and saturation brings the saturation of slinging or attachment in any worldly attachment)

d. Titiskha – To stay neutral in favourable and unfavourable circumstances

e. Shraddha – Faith in Yourself (I am doing nothing wrong in practicing this path), Guru, God and Shastras.

f. Samadhan – To stay focused on the practice (one-pointedness like that of tiger).

4. Mumukshatva – Burning desire for liberation.

Notes: Though 4 qualities are given by an Advaita acharya, it is equally applicable to Yog. I have seen commentaries and lectures by Paramhansa Prajnanananda of Kriya Yoga.

yajvan
25 July 2013, 11:14 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Yajvan ji, I was thinking of creating a thread dedicated to terminology and their meaning.

Yes, this was the intent of the dharma lexicon
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Yet it is not open to all for posting. We found some tend to ~improvise~ on definition and/or chose brevity over a robust explanation. Hence the posts additions are metered out.

iti śivaṁ

saswathy
14 April 2014, 10:56 PM
Dear friends,
Kundalini awakenig is associated with many strange experiences . Since no two experiences in one person or beween two different persons are same it is rather difficult to give any opininon. Kundalini , the cosmic energy lies two inches above the anus and two inches below the genital organ There is some connection between Kundalini and sexual activity. Kundalini travels from Brahmadwara at the mooladhara chakra to Brahmarandhra at Sahasrara chakra , if the travel is smooth and uninhibited .Brahma randhra is the point of liberation and Brahmadwara is the point of creation . Kundalini lies at brahmadwara in adhomukha and when that energy flows towards world it ieads to creation . When once it turns upwords and reaches Brahmarandhra where it merges with Shival it is liberation .Shiva is consciousness and Shakthi is bliss and the confluence of these two is eternal bliss . In the process of Kundalini awakening the first obstacle is brahmagrandhi which has many nerves and blood vessels which apply pressure on the brahmanadi . Due to this reason , some sadhakas experience intense vibrations in that region , which make them to feel guilty and shamed of that experience if they do not know the exact functioning . It is not any thing wrong or disease. . saswathy