PDA

View Full Version : philosoraptor's rAgam watch: nILAmbari

philosoraptor
19 June 2013, 10:34 AM
rAgam nILAmbari is a beautiful rAgam in South Indian Carnatic music. This is a janya rAgam (child rAgam) of the 29th melakarta rAgam shankarAbharaNam.

Two of my favorite carnatic compositions are set in this rAgam.

The first is "tolliyunu" composed by the great Annamaachaarya, in which he visualizes the Lord of Sri Rangam lying on a banyan leaf like baby Krishna. It makes for a beautiful lullaby and nILAmbari rAgam works perfectly to create this mood of parental love. The lyrics and translation of this beautiful composition from the Sangeet Sudha website are given below, along with a Youtube link for M.S. Subbulakshmi's rendition, which is still the undisputed standard for singing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak8-f6Ey6lU

You have to fast forward to the 4:47 mark to get to the beginning of "tolliyunu," although you may want to listen from the beginning to MS's beautiful rendition of "bhAvayAmi gopALabALam" in rAgam yamuna kalyAni!

P
tolli yunu marrAku toTTelane yoogegana
chellu baDi noogeeni Sree ranga SiSuvu ||

Long ago child Sri Ranga floated on the ocean, lying on a banyan leaf (Vatapatra Sayee).

C1
kaliki kAvEri taragala bAhu latalanE
talaga kiTu ranga madhyapu toTTelan
palu mAru danu noochi pADagA noogeeni
chilu pAla nelavi tO Sree ranga SiSuvu ||

Beautiful waves of the river Kaveri are like delicate arms, constantly swinging the banyan leaf like a cradle. The child Sri Ranga is pretty with his lips smeared with sweet milk. He is comforted by swing and song.

C2
adivO kamalajuni tiru vArAdhanam banaga
adana kamala bhavAnDamanu toTTelan
udadhula tarangamulu noochagA noogeeni
chedarani sirula tODa Sree ranga SiSuvu ||

See the holy worship of Vishnu, the lotus born. The cradle is the universe. The child Sri Ranga is swinging on the waves, in all splendor.

C3
vEdamule chErulai velayanga sEshuDE
pAdu konu toTTelai paraga gAnu
Sree dEvi tO gooDi Sree vEnkaTESuDai
sEda dEreDi vADe Sree ranga SiSuvu ||

The Vedas are his garlands. Adi Sesha is his swing. Sri Venkatesa is relaxing with his consort Sridevi. That child Sri Ranga is Venkatesa himself.

philosoraptor
19 June 2013, 10:44 AM
The second favorite from my music collection in this wonderful rAgam is "mAdhava mAmava" in Sanskrit by the great nArAyaNa tIrtha. This song is part of his signature composition "Shree Krishna Lila Tarangini" which is basically Sri Krishna Lila from the Bhaagavata Puraana set to music. Again, here are the lyrics and translation from the Sangeeta Sudha website along with a Youtube link. I am partial to the rendition done by the Malladi Brothers, but sadly could not find their version on YouTube. Almost as good, here is the rendition of P. Unnikrishnan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYDrqpHGow).

P
mAdhava mAmava dEva
yAdava krishNa yadukula krishNa ||
Oh Madhava, you are Krishna of Yadu dynasty, protect me.

AP
sAdhu janA dhAra sarva bhAva mAdhava mAmava dEva ||
You are the prop for all saints. Oh Madhava the source of all thoughts, please protect me.

C 1
ambuja lOchana kambu Subha greeva
bimbAdhara chandra bimbAnana
chAmpEya nasAgra lagna sumouktika
Sarada chandra janita madana ||
Your eyes are like lotus petals and your neck is like a conch. Your lips are red like ripe bimba fruits and your face is beautiful like the moon. Your nose is sharp like champeya flower adorned with shining pearls. The pleasant moon of Saratrutu (the autumn) is arousing amorous feelings.

C 2
kapaTa mAnusha dEha kalpita
jagadanDa koTi mOhita bhAratee ramaNa
apagata mOha tadudbhava nija janaka
karuNayA dhruta sEha sulakshaNa ||
You took the eluding human form by your Maya. You amazed Brahma showing your magnificient power of creating the whole cosmos. As father you showered compassion and dispelled his delusion.

C 3
taraLa kunDala ravimandala vikasita
nija jana mAnasa pankEruha
karuNa hAsa sudhA nidhi kiraNa
Samita bhava tApasa jana mOha ||
Your ear rings are shining like the Sun who blossoms the lotuses which are like the hearts of sages. Your compassionate looks soothe us like the rays of the moon. The worldly agonies and delusions of the saints vanish by your grace.

C 4
muraLee gAna rasAmruta poorita
vraja yuvatee mAnasArNava bhO
sarasa guNArNavateerNa bhavArNava
satata geeta keerti manDala bhO ||
The hearts of Gopikas are filled with the nectar like melodies emanating from your divine flute. You are the ocean of auspicious qualities and you are above the worldly things. We sing your glory always.

C 5
Sankha chakra padma SArjna gadA khaDga
vyjayantee koustubhAdi bhoosha
sweekruta budhyAdi tatva samanvita
divya mangaLa gOpabAlaka vEsha ||
The conch,the discus the lotus, the bow, the sword, the Vyjayanti and Koustubha are your ornaments. You have eulogised the philosophic truths in a very comprehensive manner. You are divine and auspicious Gopala.

C 6
Agama giri sikharo dita satya chida
dvaya lakshNa sukha bhAno
bhOgi kulOtama bhOga Sayana
dugdha sAgarAja lakshaNaDhya tanO ||
You are the peak point of the mountain-like scripts. You are the illuminating Sun of all philosophic truths. You are the yogi reclining on the Sesha serpent. Lakshmi who was born in the ocean of milk shines on your chest.

C 7
indirayA saha sundara krushNa
purundarAdi vandya pada kamala
nanda nandana yOgi varya dhurandhara
nArAyaNa teertha mati vihAra ||
Oh Krishna, you look beautiful with your consort. Indra and the other Devatas bow to your lotus feet.You are Nandas dear son. You are Yogi par excellence. You perpetually dwell in the mind of Narayana Teertha.

brahman
20 June 2013, 01:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak8-f6Ey6lU

here is the rendition of P. Unnikrishnan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYDrqpHGow)

Dear Phil,

"You rock!"

Liked both Bhavayaami and tholliyunu maaraku, mAdhava mAmava was also really good. Keep posting.

We should always feel that we are actually in the presence of that celestial Sisu of Sri. Rangam and make prostrations again and again in adoration at his Lotus feet. Love:)

A quote: Sometimes it seems like there's nothing that can lift that shadow weighing on your soul -- until you hear that perfect song.

philosoraptor
20 June 2013, 03:44 PM
Pranams,

Thank you for your kind words.

nILAmbari is just a sweet, wholesome rAgam that it is hard to discuss my appreciation for it in words. My prototype song for this is M.S. Subbulakshmi's rendition of "tolliyunu" which, again, is just unbelievably sweet. It really sounds like a lullaby, the way she sings it. I was always puzzled at the lyric "shrI ranga shishuvu" when I always imagined the Lord of Sri Rangam in great grandeur and opulence (I had the great fortune to have His darshan about 6-7 years ago). Some translators say it is Baby Krishna being referred to by the name of the Lord of Sri Rangam, while others have it as the Sri Ranganath being visualized as the infant crocked in the cradle suspended by four chains which are the four vedas. It finally occurred to me - what mood of vAtsalya the poet-composer-par-excellence Sri Annamaachaarya must have had to sing like this!

Believer
23 June 2013, 01:37 AM
Namaste,

Beautiful compositions with excellent renditions. And the verse translations add so much to the bhajans. Thanks for the links and for the translations provided.

Pranam.

Viraja
23 June 2013, 07:58 AM
Yes, I too enjoyed the ragams very much. Thanks for posting them Philosoraptor, you do have great taste for good music!

Pranam.