PDA

View Full Version : The most favorable time of the year...

yajvan
17 March 2007, 04:18 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~
Namaste Yeshya ( or aspirant)

This post is about Vaisakha masa and Akshaya Tritiya. Let me explain if I may. As Surya , the sun, finishes the year in Pisces (Meena) it soon will transit and enter ( called sankrati) into the rasi (sign) of Aries (Mesha). From a jyotish perspective this is of great import and something for those that follow the graha's and their influence on us may want to take note.

So, this post is of two parts… one of Surya's time in this month of Vaisakha ( the month that starts ~ April 13th) and Akshaya Tritiya - a special position of Surya (some call Ravi) and Chandra, the moon, some call Gauri. This sun-to-moon angle, also called a yoga, falls between 19th and 20th April, 2007. We will discuss both below. The principle for this is the Universe is here to support us on our unfoldment to Moksha and these are some of the favorable times offered to us. If this is of interest to you, please read on.

Part 1 this month of Vaisakha some write it as Vaiúâkha Mâhâtmya.
The month of Vaisakha (Sun’s residence in Aries), is Vishnu’s favorite masa or month. It is said to be the greatest, the most sacred of all months. Vaisakha, or the name of this period, has the capacity to remove the sins of past births and liberate the worshipper from worldly attachments . It is the best month for doing tapasya (disciplined actions, meditation, etc) as it is the most suitable compared to other seasons. Vasanta (some write basant) or spring is most conducive for sadhana for the common man ( that would be me) during this time.

At a more mundane level, it grants ayu (longevity), yash (fame) and pushti (sustenance) and the unending blessings of Vishnu. Vaisakha is the month for doing dana (charity), yajna (sacrifice or another type of giving), vrata (fasting) and snan (bathing). Daana or charity/giving is an important aspect of this time. This can comprise the giving of any item in charity, but the highest among these is the dana of water or jaladana.

As the story goes, those who do not give water to a thirsty passer-by or a guest or a visitor to one’s home, shall be re-born as a bird who had spent its life pining for water.
Morning meditations during this time ( called Brahma muhurta i.e. before sunrise) is most favorable. For me I will make best use of it.

Part 2 Akshaya Tritiya - why is this favorable?
This day is when both Surya, the sun, and the moon, called Chandra, or Gauri ( also called Soma, Durga, Parvati) are exalted. That is, out of all the places they could be in a 365 day year ( and 360 degree placement) this is the place they rejoice being in, out of the whole year.

What is the influence of Surya and Soma (of Siva and Gauri, of Rama and Sita)? The Sun is the natural Atmakaraka or the indicator ( called karaka) of the Atman , the SELF. And Chandra, is that of the mind and of the heart, emotions, fullness of Being all the wholesome things we can think of. The maximum influence of sattiva is at this point of goodness, of spiritual influence… It is said that the very first yajya the rishi's performed on this earth took place on this day. They recognized that is was the most auspicious day for maximum benefit and reciprocity between them and the universe ( the devata).

It’s the third day of the bright half of the month Vaishakha. That is Sukla Paksha, when the moon , Chandra is on its way to becoming full, pournima (the full moon).

Lets take some of these words first to appreciate the wisdom in them… Akshaya means undecaying. It is from a word we use , Aksara, imperishable, indestructible. It is from a= not + ksi= to destroy. Hence not destroyable. A beautiful name for Brahman. Now, Tritiya is the tithi, or the distance in degrees between the sun and the moon. Each tithi = 12 degrees. This tithi is called Tritiya, or the 3rd tithi. It is owned ( some say ruled) my Gauri, the consort of Siva.

This third day, also represents triputi, or triple form. We know 3 comes up regularly ( Sat-Chit-Ananda; Brahma, Visnu, Siva; past, present , future, 3 guna's; tri-loka, etc.). And this is the Fullness of Tritiya .Said in short it's called the day of lasting achievement.
This day without doubt is favorable for the family of man, for the sadhu, for society. It is wise to make best use of this day and of this month, Vaisakha, for good, for progress for helping and ones spiritual unfoldment.

pranams,

yajvan
18 March 2007, 05:57 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Yajvan, can you clarify the dates you discussed?

Namaste MG,
not sure if this is what you are asking, that said:

The Sun enters Aries this year April 13th... that starts the month
of Vaisakha. The Sun is exalted here in the first 10 degrees, but the full month ~ 30 days (ish) Surya is favorable here.
Now, while Surya, the sun, is in Aries, up comes the moon, passes up the sun, then goes into Taurus. In Taurus and in a specifc Nakshatra ( a name for moon house, there are 27 ) the moon now
too is exalted, that day is:
Akshaya Tritiya - a special position of Surya (some call Ravi) and Chandra, the moon, some call Gauri. This sun-to-moon angle, also called a yoga, falls between 19th and 20th April, 2007.This is that special day, tithi and yoga that happens 1X per year. where
BOTH lumiaries as they are called are exaled, this occurs on the 19-20th.

hope that answers your question.

pranams,

yajvan
18 March 2007, 06:25 PM
I don't suppose there is a diagram of this anywhere on the net?

Well it did not work - I inserted a astrological chart and it did not keep its formatting...
so, I came back in and deleted it. Thought it would help...C'est la' vie

Agnideva
18 March 2007, 06:30 PM
Namaskar Yajvan,

Are you familiar with something called 3.5 holy days of the year? Apparently these days are good for beginning anything new without consideration for proper timing:

1. Lunar new year (tomorrow)
2. Akshaya Tritiya (as you mentioned)
3. Vijaya Dashami
4. First 1/2 of Bali Pratipada (day after Diwali).

Would appreciate any insight you can provide.

Regards,
A.

yajvan
18 March 2007, 10:30 PM
Hari Om
~~~~

Are you familiar with something called 3.5 holy days of the year? Apparently these days are good for beginning anything new without consideration for proper timing:

1. Lunar new year (tomorrow)
2. Akshaya Tritiya (as you mentioned)
3. Vijaya Dashami
4. First 1/2 of Bali Pratipada (day after Diwali).

Would appreciate any insight you can provide.
A.

Namaste A,
Thank you for the note... perhaps others can discuss these ( take a stab at them). THe Lunar conjunction (sun-moon) happened today in Pisces, and begins the new Lunar year., the first day tomorrow. A good 'gap' day for meditation.

Other very auspicious days - Bhuddha Jayanti , Ganga Dashara, Bat Savitri, Vasantik Navaratri, and as you have mentioned Ram Navami, one must not forget Krsna Janmashtami, or Maha Shivaratri just to name a few. All here to assist us in our progress to Brahman. ALl have a graha counterpart and postion for these days, as they are not random.
Another that I hope more recognize is Guru Purnima.

pranams,

satay
19 March 2007, 12:32 AM
namaste Yajvan,
Thank you for the post. This gives more details on our side conversation.

Thanks again!