PDA

View Full Version : What's Natural?

yajvan
18 March 2007, 08:20 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

This post was inspired from another post: Canines of Interest
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11221&postcount=1 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11221&postcount=1)

Jigar asks " So why would one say that eating another animal is not natural for us or shouldn't be allowed?"

What's natural or un-natural ?
My definition of Natural is the " play, display and expression" of the 3 gunas interacting. All (manifest) creation is a display of this.

So, now you have to say what part is "natural" - many times we are really saying what is sattvic and within the laws of nature? When a Lion attacks and eats a deer , that's quite natural. Or a Tornado that destroys cities - what could be more natural then the re-distribution of energy? How about bacteria destroying ones health -quite natural for the bacteria! Or the fusion of atoms - happens by the ton per second in the sun, but when we blow up people ( atomic bomb) its no longer natural?

I think what Jigar is inferrng is, "natural" carries with it "better" or more aligned connotation. For me, the natural part is alignment with Dharma, or that which upholds. Some think this means duty - well yes, but the duty to that which "upholds". Upholds what ? the natural progression of life and the unfoldment of a person and society.

So, Nature or Prakrti (from kr= to make or to do + pra= forth) is the material part of Brahman - the Absolute part is Purusha. The more I ponder and understand this, I see prana as the agent and life-force that gets this done, but this is for another post.

From this prakrti we, and the rest of the universe, manifests. From this comes the 3 guna which then combines to give us touch, taste, etc the 5 tattvas ( fire, earth, space, air, water). When we talk of "natural" it’s the thought of the essence... and being closer to this original design and the elements ( fire, earth, space, air, water).
So, lets look at something that is obtuse and a ridiculous example, but makes the point:
Is laser hair removal "Natural" - well it uses the fire part ( agni) within space ( akasha) and it touches the skin (earth and water element) and the fumes from the laser are carried via the air element ( vayu) - SURE seems like its natural to me! The question is , is it part of Dharma ? That's the question for me. Does it uphold ones evolution and progression ? You may want to answer as you see fit and give other examples.

Let me end with this:
Lets tie-in someone who has a clue... Vasistha muni. [My humble opinion and recommendation- if you care to advance your thinking, then reading Vasistha's Yoga is worth the time invested. It is a brilliant work from one of the most respected brahmarishi's this planet has been able to house]
He says,
'there is no power greater than right action in the present. Hence, one should take recourse to self-effort, grinding one's teeth, and one should overcome evil by good and fate by present effort'
What is he sayinig? Right action = dharma, and this dharma has at its root the power to overcome evil. One should make the resolve ( my favorite as you folks know) to do so. We can banter all day on what is evil, yet for me , it's those influences, forces, and impulses that impedes ones progress to Moksha.

pranams,