PDA

View Full Version : Learn Sanskrit - Help

Valujira
04 July 2013, 02:23 AM
Hey all, good morning
If this is not the correct place for discussing about Sanskrit and the study process, so sorry, and you can feel free to move to correct Sub-Forum.

I am interested learning Sanskrit a few months, but I can't find a good place to learn vocabulary - books I have enough to teach me ALL grammar, syntax etc I need (I speak 5 languages already, so it's not new to me), but my target is to be able to read and understand 90% from all texts, Bhagavad Gita, Mahabharta, Upnishads etc.

Where can I find all the words I need to learn? I am sure someone checked how many words you need to read our ancient Holy texts.

P.S: I use Anki to learn words - just you to know

With Metta

:)

Omkara
07 August 2013, 07:45 AM
Hey all, good morning
If this is not the correct place for discussing about Sanskrit and the study process, so sorry, and you can feel free to move to correct Sub-Forum.

I am interested learning Sanskrit a few months, but I can't find a good place to learn vocabulary - books I have enough to teach me ALL grammar, syntax etc I need (I speak 5 languages already, so it's not new to me), but my target is to be able to read and understand 90% from all texts, Bhagavad Gita, Mahabharta, Upnishads etc.

Where can I find all the words I need to learn? I am sure someone checked how many words you need to read our ancient Holy texts.

P.S: I use Anki to learn words - just you to know

With Metta

:)

You can start by reading translations which provide word-by-word meanings. That should enhance your vocabulary.

Anima Deorum
07 August 2013, 09:56 AM
Namaste Valujira,

This site has an enormity of free Sanskrit resources available.

http://learnsanskrit.org/resources#dictionaries

The dictionaries provided in the hyperlinks, coupled with a good grammar reference, should prove adequate for your daily study.

I am studying Sanskrit as well (beginner). Feel free to PM me anytime.

Pranam.