PDA

View Full Version : Grande Prairie

Eastern Mind
06 July 2013, 09:44 AM
Vannakkam:

On July 27, 28 the Hindu temple of Grande Prairie will open its own temple. Grande Prairie Temple will be Canada's most northerly Hindu temple. This is a small city of only 55 000 people, and maybe 100 Hindu families, a bit more if you consider the surrounding areas. It's a 5 hour drive from Edmonton, so the devotees won't have to make such a long drive to get to a temple.

Personally, I find it really inspiring that such a small center can build a temple. Hopefully, it will tell other communities of similar size that it can be done. And yes, I will be attending the prana prathistha rites.

The world's most northernly temple, in Anchorage m Alaska is only another 3 (long) days drive up the scenic Alaska Highway. Maybe some other time.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
06 July 2013, 08:45 PM
Namaste,

Thanks for sharing this info. It indeed is a great feat for such a small community to have their own mandir. Please give us a report on your trip for the pran pratishta rites when that happens.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
06 July 2013, 09:01 PM
Namaste,

Thanks for sharing this info. It indeed is a great feat for such a small community to have their own mandir. Please give us a report on your trip for the pran pratishta rites when that happens.

Pranam.

Vannakkam: You know me, I will. Actually we stayed with the main founders last summer upon their invitation, a couple, both dentists, I think. We attended a function in a rental hall. Later they took us out to see the land ... a 9 acre site. Because the main builders were just two people, it went surprisingly quick. That's the beauty of a smaller group too. Less discussing, and more action.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
29 July 2013, 12:31 PM
Vannakkam: The prana prathitha is now done. I attended both days, it was cool weather for the food tent, but the temple is now officially open for Canada's northernmost Hindu temple. I would guess attendance on Sunday to be about 200, Of course a few dignitaries like the local mayor were present. Just amazing what a couple peoples' will can do.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
30 July 2013, 09:43 AM
Namaste,

That must have been an enjoyable, spiritual experience to be at the opening of the northernmost Hindu temple in Canada. Thanks for the update.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
30 July 2013, 04:35 PM
Namaste,

That must have been an enjoyable, spiritual experience to be at the opening of the northernmost Hindu temple in Canada. Thanks for the update.

Pranam.

Vannakkam: Here's the link to the local paper's story.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2013/07/28/gp-hindu-temple-complete

Aum Namasivaya