PDA

View Full Version : Book Preview: Voice of God

philosoraptor
13 July 2013, 12:36 PM
http://www.exoticindia.com/book/details/NAE815/?utm_source=Exotic+India&utm_campaign=c947890549-New_Books_at_Exotic_India&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d3cf7070b4-c947890549-224175749&mc_cid=c947890549&mc_eid=67d0bc58f7

There is an interesting new multi-volume book series being sold by Exotic India entitled Voice of God and authored by the Sri Kanchi Mahaswami Peetarohana Shatabdi Mahotsava trust, and apparently representing the teachings of Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Swami.

I realize most people here are not into the traditional Advaita of Sri Adi Shankara and his disciplic descendents like Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati (whose opinions on varNAshrama-dharma I am posting elsewhere). However, the Swami has quite a following in spite of his traditional roots, and his book not only discusses the philosophy of Advaita, but also discusses the importance of religion and of Vedic culture. Other topics covered by the books include government, crime, archana "idol-worship," bhakti, the glories of various festivals and holy places, the importance of having a guru, animal sacrifices, the veda-s and their auxiliary sciences, the purANa-s, samskAra-s, varNAshrama-dharma, family values, and many, many more topics.

The book appears to be written with the goal of explaining these things to a modern audience, which is certainly refereshing in this day and age where people have their own ideas about what Hinduism is and don't want to hear differently from a learned acharya. What strikes me about the Swami's teachings, is that he does not endorse the crassly athestic tendencies that many modern followers of Advaita seem to endorse. He clearly values traditional culture and dharma, and speaks out in favor of upAsana. Though I do not agree with him on philosophical matters, his is an opinion I definitely respect.

I thought that these books would be of interest to those wanting to understand more about Advaitic Hinduism through one of India's most revered acharyas.

Sudas Paijavana
13 July 2013, 08:24 PM
delete

Jetavan
14 July 2013, 10:48 AM
Greetings,

What were Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati's views on shudras' prohibition from "hearing, studying, and acquiring the meaning of the Vedas" (Brahma Sutras 1.3.38)? Does he specifically talk about this issue in Hindu Dharma (http://www.kamakoti.org/newlayout/template/hindudharma.html)?

Ra K Sankar
14 July 2013, 10:22 PM
Namaste

Mahaswami (Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam) lived a Life of total austerity and compliance with innumerable regulations of Vedic shastras and attained Mahasamadhi at a ripe bodily age of 100.

He was a strong subscriber to "Varnashrama Dharma" insisting that each Varna must perform its duties as per Vedas, and so on...

As for atheism, once He commented that a householder who is going round doing his works including going to temples, without even thinking as to whether God exists or not was "inferior", to another householder who thought about the existence or otherwise of God and concluded that there was no God. Thus, atheist was a step "ahead" of the normal householder, at least in the eyes of the Mahaswami.

His speeches compiled under the title "Voice of God", is in Tamil called as "Deivaththin Kural" (the Tamil version being available for free download from the web). To say the least, the Mahaswami was a "very strong" (if I attempt to express the Truth more powerfully through words, my teeth may break :)) orthodox traditional follower of Adi Shankaracharya, both in relation to Vedas and Vedanta. He never even admitted any deviation in anything stated at any time by Adi Shankaracharya. It is "inconceivable" that anyone close to Him in terms of compliance with shastras, can arise at any time in future, except of course, by the Will of Ishwara.

Whether anyone agrees with His philosophy or not, it is a fact that He lived like a VERITABLE GOD, with astounding compassion and dispassion. His body used to fly, as it were, even when His body was in its 90s. Such was His Will even on the material plane. One can stand and watch Him all day from close quarters, and gain insight into the purport of the Vedas and the Vedanta, without even hearing a word from Him.

Regards
Ra K Sankar

Believer
18 July 2013, 01:41 PM
Namaste,

One can stand and watch Him all day from close quarters, and gain insight into the purport of the Vedas and the Vedanta, without even hearing a word from Him.
Wow, that is a miracle. So, there is no need to buy/read the books? Just stand close to him? ;)

Pranam.