PDA

View Full Version : Siddha Kunjika Stotram

YogSadhak
19 March 2007, 04:38 PM
Namaste !

As we start worshipping for Chaitra Navratri from tomorrow... its time for remembering / gathering prayers related to goddess Durga / Amba / Laxmi.

Was talking to someone yesterday about Durga SaptaShati and was surprise to hear that Siddha Kunjika Stotram itself is as effective as whole Durga Saptashati ...

Is it true ? If yes why ? how , can someone post explanation in common english for the stotram.

Thanks

Hari OM !

yajvan
19 March 2007, 09:19 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

As we start worshipping for Chaitra Navratri from tomorrow... its time for remembering / gathering prayers related to goddess Durga / Amba / Laxmi. Hari OM !

Namaste YogSadhak,
A favorite to remember the Divine Ones is the Sri Suktam. It has fifteen riks , here is one and two:
Śrīm Hiraņya varnám hariņīm suvarna-rajata-srajám
Chandrám hiranmayīm lakshmīm jatavedo ma avaha|(1)
Hrīm Tám ma ávaha játavedo lakśhmīm anapa gáminīm
Yasyám hiraņyam vindeyam gám aśvam puruśhán aham|| (2)
(1-2) Invoke for you O Agni, the Goddess Lakshmi, who shines like gold, yellow in hue, wearing gold and silver garlands, blooming like the moon, the embodiment of wealth. O Agni! Invoke for me that unfailing Lakshmi, blessed by whom, I shall win wealth, cattle, horses and men.

Note the bija mantra's in blue. The total Sri Suktam has 15 verses...
When the great Goddess submits Herself to time, She becomes 15 divisions. We see this as the 15 tithi's of the moon. There is a panchadasai mantra that lives inside of the Sri Suktam, and this is the sound form of Her ( so it's said). And then there is a crowning bija that forms the Mantra of Sundari, we end up with 16... again this 16 comes up...16 parts, and the 16th part in the month is that 'gap'. The time when turiya is more accessible. We discussed sodasi in the post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10660&postcount=1 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10660&postcount=1)

I will not post this mantra as it is not one of open discussion they say. Yet, crowning bija, is owned or represents Sri Kamalatmika.

You were kind to mention worshipping for Chaitra Navratri ... how is this done? If I may let me bring up Sri Tripuradundari, another form of the Goddess. She is the Mother of Love (kameswari), Grace (lalita) and of Beauty (sundari). Being Tri (3) and pura (city) and sundari ( beauty, also red). This triad (3) emerges again... as with vyahtyis or sacred syllables of bhu , buva, savah, of group one. Then jana, tapah and satyam, of group two. Both groups connected by maha ( Brahman). She (Tripuradundari) is found in all triads and presides over them, thus must also be turiya, transcendental in nature.

So, one may worship and win Her favor by harboring beauty, grace. Full of cheer and confidence that She is with you. She is the beauty in this creation, admiring Her as beauty, then your eyes see Her, your nose can smell her in the roses, She is in creation and beyond it at the same time.

pranams,

sm78
20 March 2007, 07:43 AM
Is it true ?

Not sure, I think Siva says at the beginning of this stotram that, that one who chants this stotram need not even chant other stotrams which are invoked while reciting chandi (like Argala stotram , kilak stotram etc.). I don't think reciting Kunjika stotram earns the full merit of reciting the entire durga sapthasathi.

That aside, those uninitiated in chandi mantra should chant the Sapthasathi only as a strotram, kunjika stotram is a nice small stotram to begin the chanting.

When chanting a mantra as a stotram, not much focus need be paid at how much merit chanting provides, as stotra chanting is a act of bhakti and technicalities of japa of a mala mantra should not complicate this simple devotional exercise. My thoughts only.

If yes why ? how , can someone post explanation in common english for the stotram.

Thanks

Hari OM !

Maybe Siva alone or someone equal to him can only explain the why's and how's of our upasana rahasya.

I don't have any english translation ~ one I have also uses bengali script, so would be of limited use of most people in this forum.

YogSadhak
20 March 2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks Yajvan and Sm78 for the quick replies.

Yajvan that was wonderful post on Sri Suktam and Sri Tripuradundari. Am already familiar with Sri Suktam and Devi suktam but tell me more about Sri Tripuranundari... havent heard about it before.

Sm78, I totally agree with you on
When chanting a mantra as a stotram, not much focus need be paid at how much merit chanting provides, as stotra chanting is a act of bhakti and technicalities of japa of a mala mantra should not complicate this simple devotional exercise....

But my interest didnt just aroused just after hearing that this Stortam is as effective as Durga Saptshati but more because I have often seen the text from Siddha Kunjika stotram taken and explain in different ways for different remedies in western magazines and articles on holistic science and life. For example if you ever come across google result for "Om Aim Hrim Klim Chamundaye Vicche Namah" you will find what I am trying to think over here.

Agnideva
20 March 2007, 11:42 AM
Namaste YogSadhak,

I was looking for English translations of this stotram, but I couldn't find one online. I don't know anything about the efficacy and so forth, but more often than not, many sites said that the Siddha Kunjika Stotram was to be recited at the end of the Durga Saptashati.

Anyway, I found the Sanskrit version online (http://www.geocities.com/omshrionline/stotras_durga_kunjika.htm), and if anyone here can translate, that would be great:

http://www.geocities.com/omshrionline/god_goddess_stotras/durga/kunzika_stotram.gif

OM Shanti,
A.

yajvan
21 March 2007, 11:39 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Thanks Yajvan and Sm78 for the quick replies.

...but tell me more about Sri Tripuranundari... havent heard about it before.

Namaste YogSadhak,
Maybe starting here will assist?
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8142&postcount=1

I will add more on Her Sri Tripuranundari, as one of the 10 Maha Vidyas ( dasa Maha vidya's), and the foundation of Sri Vidya.
Her Mantra is the combination of Devi and Siva combined. Most wonderful and most secret. It would be a boon to recieve diksha into this mantra.

pranams,

YogSadhak
22 March 2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks Yajvan

Hari OM !

Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste YogSadhak,
Maybe starting here will assist?
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8142&postcount=1

I will add more on Her Sri Tripuranundari, as one of the 10 Maha Vidyas ( dasa Maha vidya's), and the foundation of Sri Vidya.
Her Mantra is the combination of Devi and Siva combined. Most wonderful and most secret. It would be a boom to recieve diksha into this mantra.

pranams,