PDA

View Full Version : On fasting

mirabai
19 March 2007, 10:49 PM
Thank you Satay and others for your thoughtfulness in providing this forum. I can see there is a river of knowledge here at HDF of the combined wisdom and experiences of all of you. I haven't very much wisdom yet, but enough to seize this opportunity ;)

As you can see, my question concerns fasting.

Over the last year or two I have tried fasting on the Ekadasi dates of the moon cycles. Since being introduced to Hinduism and finding Sanatana Dharma I feel that I am going through a kind of butterfly metamorphasis internally but externally my life is still mostly that of the caterpillar. So I strongly desire to begin that change as well and I thought that fasting would be a place to start. It seems to be what is doable for me at this point. I mean, the giving up, breaking the attachments, actually physically taking some type of action to follow what my heart is already embracing. I want to do more than talk about it, you know?

I wondered if anyone fasts and if so, how and why and when? What is it that you feel, physically and emotionally, afterward? How did you prepare for it? Did it make you weak or ill? Should one fast before meditation? I have tried fasting sunrise to sunrise with only water and a small amount of fruit and milk. Also I tried for just half days, taking nothing. To me it feels that I am just playing at it but I want to do it properly. There is a ton of info online and I love the stories I found on the origins of Ekadasi. But I think I need some practical advice that I can apply to my real-life situation.

Does anyone have any advice or experience to share?

om namo bhagavate vasudevaaya janmaadyasya yato
'nvayad itartash charthesv abhijnah svarat tene brahma
hrda ya aadi kavaye

satay
20 March 2007, 10:06 AM
namaste mira!

Thank you for the post. I must say that I started my quest to relearn dharma in a similar fashion as you i.e. by starting to do fasts.

In fact, a christian friend of mine inspired me (nirotu, can you believe this??) as she was fasting each friday for a few months before the good friday arrived. Anyway, Ekadasi fast is supposed to be most auspicious. However, I have only performed it once.

I do fast on two other days of the weeks on a regular basis. This I started about two years ago. I only take water on these two days. One thing I became aware in my last physical exam is that I am low in Vitamin B12. Not sure if fasting or pure vegetarian diet has anything to do with it but I am now on a vitamin supplement.

In India, fasting is a regular act of many hindus. My granmother for example, used to fast on each ekadasi as she was the loving devotee of Lord Krishna.

I rather not talk more on my fasting experience here as that builds the ego so please pm or email me.

talk to you later,

YogSadhak
20 March 2007, 10:18 AM
Namaste !

Let me stick to personal experiences only and away from what all the books and website resources tells us.

When I fast , I feel very light and relaxed. My mind is very calm and serene compare to other days. Maybe this is what is called "Saatvic Dasha" or Saatvic State of mind and body. Though I follow strict saatvic diet on non fasting days still there are times when I feel little bit exhausted with daily routine, commute, etc. which only relaxes me in the later half of the day after my 90 mins of yoga, pranayaam & meditation session. During the fasting days I have found I can focus more , recite prayers more easily without help of books or reference materials, etc. I can meditate more easily with very fewer thoughts.

Another personal experience with fasting is with body cleansing. After fasting for the next few days feel like my digestive power or metabolism has increased like when I was a teenager.

Even though been practising fasting for past few month I havent tried so called ABSOLUTE FASTING where no water or milk or juice goes in for 24 hrs. My best so far is only on juice fasting.

Also according to Ayurveda if you are not regular in fasting or have enough knowledge one should consult or read on atleast "how to break a fast" otherwise it can create some issues.

My question for everyone is "Isn't it high time that use of the term "DE-TOX" for fasting should be of some concerns ? Isnt fasting a collective process of abstaining from constant eating , cleansing , meditating and much much more ???

Hari OM !

YogSadhak
20 March 2007, 10:21 AM
namaste mira!
I rather not talk more on my fasting experience here as that builds the ego so please pm or email me.

My request is you should not worry of other things but should talk right here as it helps other members as well.

About EGO , we all know that everyone is working on THAT....

Agnideva
20 March 2007, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have any advice or experience to share?

Namaste Mirabai,

I rarely observe complete fast, so I’m probably not the best person to give advice, but here goes. There are many ways people observe fasts on holy days like Ekadashi or Pradosh (for Shaivites), etc. Some observe complete fast (no food, no water), others will fast from certain things like grains, and take only fruit and milk, etc. Another common way I’ve known people to fast is to skip breakfast and lunch, and take only dinner after sunset or moonrise. So, you can try doing one of these things first. Try skipping only daytime meals first, then once your body is used to it, then try doing the sunrise to sunrise fast. Do whatever works for your body. I, for example, am not able to fast without water, so when I observe fast, I always drink plenty of water. I find that drinking plenty of water keeps the stomach from churning and making growling noises :).

Something else I would like to share with you about fasting is the term we generally use for fasting – upavāsa – which is derived from upa (near) + vāsa (living). So upavāsa means to live or stay near (to the Divine). Whenever I fast, I remind myself of the meaning of this term, and somehow (it’s psychological, I’m sure), it seems to help me defocus from food and hunger, and focus on the more important things.

OM Shanti,
A.

mirabai
25 March 2007, 11:45 PM
Namaste friends,
Thank you Satay, YogSadhak, and Agnideva for sharing your experiences with fasting. I apologize for the long time since posting last; my schedule is a bit intense lately.
Satay, I will definitely make a point to watch the nutrition aspect and remember to take vitamin supplements. I am always found to be slightly anemic in blood tests already, so I won't neglect the B-12 :)
Very nice of Nirotu to counsel you on this. Fasting seems to be one of those universal practices that all religions observe, doesn't it? A common thread joining us.
Please, only speak that which you are comfortable sharing. I think I know what you mean about talking can build the ego, and I really admire your striving for humility.
YogSadhak I had that sensation once or twice, of clarity of mind during or after fasting, which you mentioned. And since I have not fasted for a few months to speak of, I am feeling like my energy level is low, so maybe it is the toxicity build up. I will do some reading about the proper way to break a fast, because that is also a big area of my confusion. If anyone has found a good method for breaking a fast, perhaps they will post it.
Agnideva you may be right about beginning with a small fast and let my body get used to it gradually. Maybe to have the normal breakfast, then observe a fast throughout the day, then break in the evening with fruit and milk. Do you think that will be appropriate? The problem is my class is out at 8:35 and it may not be good to eat then fall asleep right away. May be better to observe the fast from afternoon on till next morning?
I will focus on upavāsa next time and remind myself of the meaning of fasting. I didn't know the word, but I have experienced many times that in a time of distress or panic, to imagine the Lord is near means survival and is very comforting. So I am certain it will help.

I see God walking in every human form. When I meet different people, I say to myself, "God in the form of the saint, God in the form of the sinner, God in the form of the righteous, God in the form of the unrighteous."
..............................Sri Ramakrishna (1836-1886)

Hari Om