PDA

View Full Version : How does one find a guru

Hiwaunis
19 March 2007, 11:02 PM
I am looking for a guru. I would like to learn the vedanta, some of the Sri pujas and a few mantras; Vishnu sahasrama, and the mantra associated with the Sri chakra. I would also like to learn sanskrit and kriya yoga. I would like to dedicate every morning (4am to 8am) and night (7pm to 9pm) chanting, but I am not strong enough to do this alone.

How does one go about finding a guru? I would prefer a female, being female myself.
Hiwaunis

sm78
20 March 2007, 12:16 AM
As sri yajvan often points out ~ "No effort goes to waste". I have been (less now) in same guru looking stage as you suggest. It is said that it is Guru that finds the disciple and not vice-a-versa. It may sound very hard to believe, but I'm now firmly convinced of the truth behind this statement. Depending upon what is our quest Guru may appear easily or with difficulty.

I suggest that one should spend time in exploring Sanatana Dharma at all levels ~ soon you will know where in the broad spectrum of possible paths withingthe dharma, is most suitable for you. Once you have the goal and a steadfast effort to achieve it, the means (including Guru) will soon be made available as per your needs ~ Nature has infinite resources.

Goal is the most important. There are many teachers and pseudo-teachers with large fan followings in the business of selling dharma. It is futile to blame them, they exist because there is a demand for them in this Yuga. Decide what you want to demand and work for it ~ the true guru must appear, even if he takes more time than you might have liked.

Agnideva
20 March 2007, 10:13 AM
Namaste Hiwaunis,

Singhi (SM78) has given you good advice, and I agree fully what he has said. The way to find a true Guru (or rather have the Guru find you) is by following and living the Dharma, finding your focus and niche, and then getting educated in it. In the process, you can always choose to learn from an established guru's writings or organizations. We are taught that Divine Beings are always guiding us in the path of Dharma. As has been said already, every little effort you make counts.

OM Shanti,
A.

Hiwaunis
20 March 2007, 11:18 PM
Om Shanti,
Thanks you two. I've always known it is said when the student is ready the teacher will appear. I'm starting to think that by that time my body will be too old and diseased to do any thing.

On the bright side, at least I know a guru is coming.
Hiwaunis

YogSadhak
21 March 2007, 10:14 AM
I'm starting to think that by that time my body will be too old and diseased to do any thing.
Namaste !

My 2 cents... from the above sentence I see you are very eager and impatient to find a GURU right now.. which is a very good positivity...instead about time and body and old etc...think other way around.. the GURU has got your message.. he is already coming to find you... you are in the phase of his testing you... prove your worth..determination.... remove all negative thinking as it gives negative marks in this test... right ?

An interesting quote I had read sometime back... if you let your intellect or mind something to make calculations on terms of time , money , distance , language etc for a guru... you lose your guru even before finding it.. it maybe your intellect to search but you heart , your atma has to find it.. realise it... you get or need only 1 guru in life.. so while your intellect is finding it.. always keep your heart / atma / soul aware to recognise it... now how this awareness or state comes.. maybe someone who has already found a GURU and experienced it might be able to tell us...

Hari OM !

Hiwaunis
22 March 2007, 07:18 PM
Namaste YogSadhak,
Thank you for your kind and uplifting words. I definitely needed an injection of positivity. You are so right, I should know better. Do you remember where you might have heard that quote? I'd like to frame it.

Om shanti,
Hiwaunis

Eastern Mind
08 September 2007, 02:20 PM
Another two bits although this thread is old now... Yes, Guru finds you, which unfortunately is not how some see it. Having said that, it is not harmful to do some searching. Check things out. Decide how you are leaning within Hinduism. Hang out in that area of mind. Perhaps then the Guru will find you easier.

Aum Namashivaya

c.smith
04 November 2007, 10:17 PM
Lord Murugan is most merciful to those that approach him in search of guidance. IMHO, Lord Ganesha much be approached first, followed by Lord Murugan who will lead you and guru to each other.

Om Namah Sivaya!

bhargavsai
07 January 2008, 10:44 AM
Revered Mother I can understand your question.

I have heard that when the student is ready then the Guru appears. One need not find a Guru but Guru will find the disciple when the disciple is ready. Mother. An Ignorant person like me knows very less about a Guru. Mother please do not believe in any one until you have tested and are sure that a Guru is a real God-realized person.

I pray to Lord that you may find the guru very soon and your life float with bliss forever.

orlando
14 August 2010, 06:03 PM
How does one go about finding a guru? I would prefer a female, being female myself.

I suggest you to not care about the guru's gender.

Visvamitra
30 August 2010, 03:52 PM
I suggest you to not care about the guru's gender.

Is this applicable to both sexes that the guru's gender does not matter?

Eastern Mind
31 August 2010, 07:16 AM
Vannakkam Viswamitra: Welcome to HDF, by the way. I think the question of gender shouldn't matter either way, but in reality it does. We still have a few folks who, like it or not, have gender bias well programmed into their systems. Does this mean they shouldn't be eligible to worship God and follow Sanatana dharma. In beginning stages, such things as gender bias, ego, anava,etc. abound. In later stages all of these things fade away from the mind.

Aum Namasivaya

Visvamitra
31 August 2010, 09:06 AM
Okay sounds cool. Do you know any examples in the scriptures where there is no gender bias, specifically some female guru with students of any sex.

Onkara
31 August 2010, 09:25 AM
Namaste visvamitra
No, it doesn't matter as it is your mind which needs to be guided to truth, so ultimately you will find it is your attitude which makes the difference, not the gender of the teacher/guru.

I think this question presents itself as a good thing to bring your/our thoughts back to during the day as you/we interact with others. One of the intial things we are taught is that we are not the body, however we are so accustomed to interact with body and base our behaviour on the body (person) we see before us, be they a child, a retired citizen, attractive or threatening etc, that we don't stop to think further. We can almost use this interaction to remind us of our spritual goal to see the one universal pure spirit beyond the material form (body) at each time we have the opportunity.

Eastern Mind
31 August 2010, 10:48 AM
Okay sounds cool. Do you know any examples in the scriptures where there is no gender bias, specifically some female guru with students of any sex.

Vannakkam: I do not personally know of any female Gurus in long ago history. Saints such as Anandamayi Ma and the hugging Saint Amma are modern examples. Of course just because I don't know of any doesn't mean they didn't exist. There are many village Gurus who speak or spoke without anyone writing anything down. I personally don't see why it matters. There was the Tamil Saint Auviyar (sp?).

I am wondering what brought about this line of questioning.

Aum Namasivaya

Visvamitra
31 August 2010, 11:08 AM
I am wondering what brought about this line of questioning.

Earlier in the thread a poster had a preference for a female guru and I'm familiar with religious practices that tend to be patriarchical, with gender seperation [like some muslims do when they pray].

I personally don't see why it matters.

I was just wondering if it was gender specific [the relationship between guru and student]. What matters, I think, is to know what is correct that's why questions may arise that seem inane.

orlando
02 September 2010, 05:26 PM

Of course.

I am male but I would accept to be disceple of a female guru.
I would respect her not less than a male guru.

I do not personally know of any female Gurus in long ago history.

The following six female Gurus belong to Gaudiya-vaishnava sampradaya:

SITA THAKURANI
JAHNAVA THAKURANI
HEMALATA THAKURANI
GAURANGAPRIYA
KRISHNAPRIYA
GANGA MATA GOSWAMINI

In the line where the gaudiya-vaishnava guru Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura got diksha there are three female Gurus:
1. (Nityananda Prabhu) Jahnava Mata
2. Ramacandra Goswami
3 Rajavallabha Goswami
4. Kesavacandra Goswami
5. Rudresvara Goswami
6. Dayarama Goswami
7. Mahesvari Goswamini
8. Gunamañjari Goswamini
9. Ramamani Goswamini
10. Yajnesvara Goswami
11. Vipina Vihari Goswami (1850-1919)
12. Bhaktivinoda Thakur (1838-1914)

Eastern Mind
02 September 2010, 05:38 PM
Vannakkam Bhakta:

Thanks for this. I suspected as much but didn't know for sure. I'll check the 3 of them out on-line. I wonder how they were accepted socially. Perhaps you have a book on the lineage?

Aum Namasivaya

Visvamitra
02 September 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for those references. It would be interesting to see how they were accepted socially.

ScottMalaysia
03 September 2010, 08:37 AM
Mata Amritanandamayi (Amma), mentioned above by EM, is considered a guru by many. Mother Maya is also a great spiritual leader, but I'm not sure if she's considered a guru or not (I don't know if she gives initiation).

orlando
03 September 2010, 02:39 PM
Vannakkam Bhakta:

Thanks for this. I suspected as much but didn't know for sure. I'll check the 3 of them out on-line. I wonder how they were accepted socially. Perhaps you have a book on the lineage?

Sorry.I don't have such informations.

Ganeshprasad
04 September 2010, 03:46 PM
Pranam all

Our first and foremost Guru is our parents specially our mother all scripture speaks of her glories.

Apart from that, Maitreyi and Gargi two personalties comes to mind, these are very prominent and great Gurus of Vedic times.

Maittreyi the wife of Yajnavalkya actually has some hymns accredited to her in rig Vedas.

Gargi was a eminent participant in the court of king Janak of Mithila, debating with likes of Yajnavalka during 'brahmayajna'

If we study their life style they immediately become our Guru.

Jai Shree Krishna