PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Religion?

Netz
25 July 2013, 03:28 AM
As we all know, hinduism allows everyone to admire other faiths as well.

So what are your favorite religions after hinduism.

As for me, i like Buddhism, Taoism a lot.

ShivaFan
31 July 2013, 08:11 PM
Namaste

Well, I don't know if I would use the term "favorite religions"...

But I do know I like as friends Jains, Sikhs and Hinayana Buddhists (from India)....

I sometimes go to a Gurdwara or Jain Temple when the opportunity arises, for example when travelling and there is no Hindu Temple in the foreign or out of town, but there happens to be a Jain or Sikh center, I will go.

It is very rare I would go to a Buddhist Temple, but when such an infrequent event would happen I prefer Hinayana.

I have pretty much never been to a Protestant Church, my parents were not Christian nor Jewish. But I have been to old Spanish Missions which are Catholic, and like that but that is more touristy.

I will have nothing to do with Mosques, I am a typical American who would be VERY unconfortable there and would probably end up arrested.

Om Namah Sivaya

JaiMaaDurga
31 July 2013, 09:15 PM
Namaste,

I have respect for various tenets and sincere adherents of some other
religions I have come across, but I cannot say there is another religion in
its entirety that I admire, as it were. To invite even positive comparisions
becomes problematic, in a philosophic and spiritual sense- but, most of all,
in a practical sense. What may be one's intended compliment may be
another's condescension, it is easily seen how even well-intentioned dis-
cussions may descend quickly into misunderstanding and hard feelings...
so, I will refrain from further discussion as to this.

JAI MATA DI

Necromancer
31 July 2013, 09:27 PM

So what are your favorite religions after hinduism.

As for me, i like Buddhism, Taoism a lot.
Namaste.

Keeping close to my roots in both Hinduism and Buddhism, that would be Shinto Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism.

I like the Animist approach of Shinto and Tribal Buddhism.

If I were to venture out of my 'comfort zone' into a 'yeah, I could so do that' it would be those Jewish Tribes of Ethiopia.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Believer
01 August 2013, 11:32 PM
Namaste,

Good topic and good survey.
Besides Hinduism, I like pizza-ism as pizza is my second favorite food.

Pranam.

Viraja
02 August 2013, 07:46 AM
I should say 'Buddism' - not that I know much about the religion itself, but when I view the massive architecture of Buddist shrines, with a peaceful Buddha sitting in yoga, I feel the power of divine that may vibe with my nature and calm me down to a meditation. I feel the peace resonating with me. So it would be Buddism.

ps: I am immensely attracted to Buddhist shrines elsewhere in SriLanka, or Malaysia.

Eastern Mind
02 August 2013, 08:24 AM
Vannakkam: The only other places I've ever felt radiating energy besides in Hindu temples were at ancient North American first nations places, like Sundial Hill (medicine wheel) in southern Alberta. I imagine Ayers Rock in central Australia has an energy to it too. Ayers Rock reminds me of Tiruparankandram Hill ... ancient.

The other ones generally give me the creeps, so I would have to choose 'tribal religions' from all over, but only some would qualify.

Aum Namasivaya

Jeffery D. Long
02 August 2013, 09:30 AM
Definitely Buddhism and Jainism. Hindu Dharma won out for me because of its strong theistic element. But I feel almost as much at home with Buddhism and Jainism, and the particular tradition I practice is very similar to Buddhism. Swami Vivekananda's ishta devata was the Buddha avatar.

Jeff08
02 August 2013, 11:39 AM
I will choose Sikhism or Islam after Hinduism. I like the concept of the God in Skihism and I think Islam has good principle and commandment to practice. I could say I can touch feeling of "God" and try to know what is God because of Islam at first. But after that, I found Hinduism and I become to Sanatana Dharma path.

Sudas Paijavana
02 August 2013, 12:00 PM
Namaste,

I thought we weren't allowed to speak about non-Hindu religions on HDF.

Am sad. :(

Paijavana

Jeffery D. Long
02 August 2013, 12:12 PM
Namaste,

Paijavana

It is kind of an odd topic. I hesitated before posting a reply here.

Sudas Paijavana
02 August 2013, 12:18 PM

Viraja
02 August 2013, 12:23 PM
Namaste,

Paijavana

Sudas ji,

I think it is simply that our moderators want us to exercise sound judgement before quoting other religions. Even members of other religions participate in HDF. The aim is not to expect Hindus to revere their gods. At a personal level, anyone can hold any belief - actually, I love Christ - that doesn't mean I should expect other Hindus to vibe with my sentiments and I should also not advocate it as a 'right practice' guideline of sorts. I think this is what our moderator expects.

philosoraptor
02 August 2013, 06:52 PM

I can't understand wanting to admire another religion. Nor do I understand the basis for the view that "Hinduism allows everyone to admire other faiths as well."

Mana
03 August 2013, 02:40 AM
om gurave namaḥ

Namaste,

Indeed, an interesting choice of placement for this thread; a scientific comparison involving somewhat more Manas than Buddhi.

I dislike the word "Religion" and find the incessant categorising of such delicate a thing, to be generally demonstrative of a deep bondage of the soul. But with that said, knowledge is guarded amidst rather peculiar human traits, and we do not all have the same functionality nor the same faculty ...

1.02. jñānaṁ bandhaḥ
Knowing differentiatedly is bondage and not knowing undifferentiatedly is bondage.

śiva sutras, translation by Swami Lakshman Jū.

That's a lot of very heavy bindings!

Kind regards.

Avyaydya
03 August 2013, 06:00 AM
Namaste,

Paijavana
Í agree.

Really? Is that in the Veda's? You can have one religion and admire a few on the side? Do you mind substantiating that?

I do not like the question at all. Something like:

What women do you fancy besides the one you are married to?

So, I would say try it with you wife. Honey, I am married to you, but I also like ... See how she reacts. Does she have the same kind of "open-mindedness"?

Besides Hinduism I like Hinduism

I do not want to imply negative intentions, but Lets be vigilant about this. It is the kind of subject that helps converters targeting people and get them to know who to watch out for. Another line of attack is to invite them to talk about personal problems, often by talking very explicitly about their own problems, like diseases, family death, uncertainties. Valuable information if you want to get close to people and manipulate them.

People that feel the need to talk about other religions or personal stuff, often are converters, attention seekers, or they are people for whom Hinduism is their latest infatuation. Yes they are so in Love with it, but they said that before. Next thing may be Kabbalism if they grow tired of doing Puja. A Hindu forum should be a forum for people fully committed to Hinduism.

Most Hindu's do not even feel the need to discuss their religion with others. Which is the wisest you can learn you children, as it is a very personal matter and not subject for discussion. If we do we should do it in a non-personal way that benefits not only us, but Hinduism too.

It is different if people of the same community interact. Lets get rid of the ideas that all Hindu's should behave like saints, and that saints befriend with all. They surely do not. There is a difference between seeing God in all and loving them for there divine essence and befriending with all. Like Ramakrisna said: God is in the tiger too, but do not go dancing with the tiger.

I am not accusing anyone of having wrong intentions, but I like to raise awareness. Lets concentrate on doing right to Hinduism and not on the bonding with strangers. On the Internet you never know who you are embracing. Converters are very much like paedophiles grooming their victims. Never underestimate them.

If you feel the strong urge to express your love for non-Hindu religions or Gods, than go to a their forums. They will appreciate that there. Who knows something new will grow out of that. I don't care. That is your personal choice. The same with making compliments to other women... Who knows what new love will spring from that? But be kind, do not do it in front of your wife.

Lets not insult the Hindu Gods, they have enormous pride

Ashcooper
03 August 2013, 09:22 PM
May seem out of place,
But I'm not a fan of organized religion at all, I think it has been sodomized by man for generations, and can barley believe a word written by mans hands, the morals and ideals of most religion feel like an old form of government control, before governments existed.

Excuse me if what I say next offends but:

I was drawn to Hinduism because it feels more like social acceptance, understanding, and growing together under a set of moral principles that apply to the individual. and as long as the indivdual is true to themselves and their own path, the actions can't be wrong.
Hinduism doesn't feel written, crafted, or aimed at converting me, it was just waiting with open arms for me to discover it: even now I'm sure what it is, what I am, I guess that's the beauty in it.
I seek peace. and nothing has made me feel more complete in life than this, I don't feel like I'm afraid of death anymore as i used to, I feel I've died a thousand times already.

So I'm just going to vote for Hinduism right here of course. Ganesha stole my heart.

If we can choose a least favorite, for me its christianity, a religion soaked in lies, blood, and mans scribblings.
I don't for a second believe were made in gods own image. but feel that we are all part of the one divine entity that created all around us.
I feel i am as much a god as you are, as a star is, and as god does.

Do you think a star questions where it's light comes from?

Sudas Paijavana
03 August 2013, 10:44 PM
Í agree.

Really? Is that in the Veda's? You can have one religion and admire a few on the side? Do you mind substantiating that?

I do not like the question at all. Something like:

What women do you fancy besides the one you are married to?

So, I would say try it with you wife. Honey, I am married to you, but I also like ... See how she reacts. Does she have the same kind of "open-mindedness"?

Besides Hinduism I like Hinduism

I do not want to imply negative intentions, but Lets be vigilant about this. It is the kind of subject that helps converters targeting people and get them to know who to watch out for. Another line of attack is to invite them to talk about personal problems, often by talking very explicitly about their own problems, like diseases, family death, uncertainties. Valuable information if you want to get close to people and manipulate them.

People that feel the need to talk about other religions or personal stuff, often are converters, attention seekers, or they are people for whom Hinduism is their latest infatuation. Yes they are so in Love with it, but they said that before. Next thing may be Kabbalism if they grow tired of doing Puja. A Hindu forum should be a forum for people fully committed to Hinduism.

Most Hindu's do not even feel the need to discuss their religion with others. Which is the wisest you can learn you children, as it is a very personal matter and not subject for discussion. If we do we should do it in a non-personal way that benefits not only us, but Hinduism too.

It is different if people of the same community interact. Lets get rid of the ideas that all Hindu's should behave like saints, and that saints befriend with all. They surely do not. There is a difference between seeing God in all and loving them for there divine essence and befriending with all. Like Ramakrisna said: God is in the tiger too, but do not go dancing with the tiger.

I am not accusing anyone of having wrong intentions, but I like to raise awareness. Lets concentrate on doing right to Hinduism and not on the bonding with strangers. On the Internet you never know who you are embracing. Converters are very much like paedophiles grooming their victims. Never underestimate them.

If you feel the strong urge to express your love for non-Hindu religions or Gods, than go to a their forums. They will appreciate that there. Who knows something new will grow out of that. I don't care. That is your personal choice. The same with making compliments to other women... Who knows what new love will spring from that? But be kind, do not do it in front of your wife.

Lets not insult the Hindu Gods, they have enormous pride

Greetings,

Fabulous post! I agree 100%! We cannot admire other religions, especially when we have the most original and best Dharma of them all! Jai Shri Sanatana Dharma! Jai Shri Hindu Devatāo! Long live Hinduism! May only Hinduism be discussed on HDF!!
-------------------------------------------------------

satay
03 August 2013, 10:58 PM
Namaste
What happened to the the original poster? Fell asleep?

satay
03 August 2013, 10:59 PM
Namaste

Sudas ji,

- actually, I love Christ.

No offence but I always suspected that. I will be watching your posts from now on.