PDA

View Full Version : Yoga types

Who am i
30 July 2013, 10:17 PM
All

How many yoga types are there ? I see lot of them like hatha,kriya,raja,iyenger and many more.

How can i know which is suitable for me? Any detailed response on types of yogas will be really helpful.

Necromancer
31 July 2013, 07:43 PM
All

How many yoga types are there ? I see lot of them like hatha,kriya,raja,iyenger and many more.

How can i know which is suitable for me? Any detailed response on types of yogas will be really helpful.
Namaste.

There are as many types of Yoga as those who seem to create them now. :/

Any Hindu doctrine that has a practice attached to it is Yoga.

Yoga means 'to Yoke' or 'Union'. It's that which gets you from point A to point B and unites Lower and Higher self.

Any practice with the goal of uniting us with God is called Yoga.

How you do that is entirely up to you. It's personal preference.

As much as I dislike 'labels', if one had to be put on what I do, it's a combination of Raja Yoga (Yoga of mind and meditation), Jnana Yoga (Yoga of knowledge pertaining to the Divine) and Bhakti Yoga (Yoga of Love)....I also do Hatha Yoga.

Iyengar Yoga is a Yoga System created by B.K.S. Iyengar and it really isn't a branch of traditional Yoga.

I don't know all the branches of Yoga: Hatha, Raja, Kriya, Laya, Karma, Jnana, Bhakti...that's about it from me.

Aum Namah Shivaya

realdemigod
31 July 2013, 09:53 PM
All

If you are interested to know more about the roots and types of traditional sytems of Yoga..you can check out this DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Unveiled-Evolution-Spiritual-Tradition/dp/B002B8YORE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375325476&sr=8-1&keywords=yoga+unveiled

I watch it once every fortnight.

pettar
30 October 2013, 12:11 AM
Yoga is very benefcial for health and helps in reducing mental stress and physical fitness.
Bikram yoga
Vinyasa Yoga
Kundalini Yoga
Ashtanga Yoga
Anusara Yoga

geetha.suresh
20 November 2013, 04:36 AM
Babaji

You have told in nice way so that people like us can unserstand.

Jai Sri Krishna

Namaste.

There are as many types of Yoga as those who seem to create them now. :/

Any Hindu doctrine that has a practice attached to it is Yoga.

Yoga means 'to Yoke' or 'Union'. It's that which gets you from point A to point B and unites Lower and Higher self.

Any practice with the goal of uniting us with God is called Yoga.

How you do that is entirely up to you. It's personal preference.

As much as I dislike 'labels', if one had to be put on what I do, it's a combination of Raja Yoga (Yoga of mind and meditation), Jnana Yoga (Yoga of knowledge pertaining to the Divine) and Bhakti Yoga (Yoga of Love)....I also do Hatha Yoga.

Iyengar Yoga is a Yoga System created by B.K.S. Iyengar and it really isn't a branch of traditional Yoga.

I don't know all the branches of Yoga: Hatha, Raja, Kriya, Laya, Karma, Jnana, Bhakti...that's about it from me.

Aum Namah Shivaya