PDA

View Full Version : What role do the Devas play in Advaita Philosophy?

Spirit Seeker
08 August 2013, 07:03 PM
Namaste All.

As the title asks, where do the devas come in according to Advaitan theory? I have seen different approaches from different advaitans across the board, but it still doesnt seem clear to me the consensus on how Advaita itself views the Gods.

Because I'm Curious, if we are all brahman, what would be the point in "Demi-Gods" if we are all equal? Do they really exist for Advaitans or they perceived to be just Ideas in facilitating the process towards Self Realization?

I have seen different approaches such as treating the devas as "Ideas" and abstract concepts to help one connect to their atma(Highest self).

Do Advaitans View the Gods as Mortal Beings with their own lives(Or Limited extended Forms of God), or are they treated as mythological figures to assist one in Self Realization?

Would like more opinions/viewpoints from seasoned advatains.

Thank you.

realdemigod
08 August 2013, 10:06 PM
Namaste All.

As the title asks, where do the devas come in according to Advaitan theory? I have seen different approaches from different advaitans across the board, but it still doesnt seem clear to me the consensus on how Advaita itself views the Gods.

Because I'm Curious, if we are all brahman, what would be the point in "Demi-Gods" if we are all equal? Do they really exist for Advaitans or they perceived to be just Ideas in facilitating the process towards Self Realization?

I have seen different approaches such as treating the devas as "Ideas" and abstract concepts to help one connect to their atma(Highest self).

Do Advaitans View the Gods as Mortal Beings with their own lives(Or Limited extended Forms of God), or are they treated as mythological figures to assist one in Self Realization?

Thank you.

Namaste,
Devas are considered to be manifestations of Ultimate Reality - Brahman. I personally don't believe Devas or Demigods exist but we need them to create ideas or concepts which would be difficult otherwise only with incomprehensible Brahman. And like you said they could be used to improve your spirituality and realise the Ultimate Truth.

brahman
09 August 2013, 01:02 AM
Namaste All.

Thank you.

Dear SS,

The God who is asserted to be real and the God who is denied reality are both only byproducts of the reasoning faculty of man. Read (http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=10858)

Love:)

Necromancer
09 August 2013, 04:24 AM
Namaste All.

Thank you.
Namaste.

How do Advaitins view Gods/Devas? As 'stepping stones' to Paramatman.

When I was a teenager and I was studying Advaita (and worshiping Lord Shiva), I had a boyfriend who wasn't into any of it. He was a proud Atheist and wouldn't tolerate all of my alternating philosophical and devotional rantings.

Anyway, one day, he said 'You do realise that GOD is just DOG spelled backwards, don't you'?

I mean, his Atheism only went to fuel my Non-Dualism. :D

Then, he went on to say something like "I could spend years praying to a piece of dog faeces and get to the same place you do when you pray to your God".

Could this get any better?

If he did Trataka on dog faeces for 30-40 years and made that his goal and passion in life, without any other desires...keeping his full focus on it, sure he can!!! He will finally realise that dog poo is not 'God' anyway....but then what is?

So, the Devas look much nicer than dog do-its and they have physical and esoteric form where we can focus our *short* attention span (at the moment, for me, that is the 3 tines on Lord Shiva's Trishula)....and also on:

Aum Namah Shivaya