PDA

View Full Version : Lot less traffic these days...

Viraja
09 August 2013, 08:05 AM
Namaste,

Where are all the members? It seems that after many debates here in which members were directly insulting others, many members have disappeared...

It is a great forum in which everything is so organized into relevant topics.

Pranam.

Necromancer
09 August 2013, 08:18 AM
Namaste.

Lately, I have found myself missing my good mate on here, TrikonaBindu.

We seem to be going through 'fits and starts' though.

Some days, there'll be 12-14 new threads and many replies. Other days, current threads for the past 24 hours will just disappear into nothingness.

Sometimes, people just have 'nothing to say'.

Other times, I'll come on here and notice that most topics are in Jyotish, Vaishnava Forums and Politics Forums and all I can think is 'hurry up and talk about Lord Shiva...or Vedanta...or something else'.

I have created threads myself, but I can't think of anything else to say now.

We have about a dozen 'active' members and the only thing that keeps me not worrying about the traffic on here is 'maybe those guys are self-realised now and don't need us anymore'. :Cool:

Aum Namah Shivaya

Viraja
09 August 2013, 08:29 AM
We have about a dozen 'active' members and the only thing that keeps me not worrying about the traffic on here is 'maybe those guys are self-realised now and don't need us anymore'. :Cool:

Aum Namah Shivaya

lol. It seems that from about 30 - 40 active members, suddenly we are down to very few active members, it bothers me, not only there is fun in writing and replying to threads created by oneself, it was equally a pleasure (and a great timepass needless to say) to read other threads (and replying to them) as well!

satay
09 August 2013, 09:39 AM
Namaste,

I used to worry about the same way but I have changed and I recommend you do the same.

HDF has its own pace. Members come and go. Post like crazy then take a break, shout and scream then go and meditate. Some days I log in and there are 30 posts waiting for moderation in the matter of hours, the other days only three after 12 hours. This is how HDF works.

At any given time there are over 100 guests reading posts. More reading is done here than writing which is exactly the purpose of such a forum should be after being in existence for several years.

I rather only see less than five quality posts a day on HDF compared to 30 junk posts which I will have remove anyway. Same goes for the threads and members. I rather see less than five quality members posting than every tom, dick and pappu whose posts I will have to moderate and possibly delete or clean.

Enjoy the peace!

Amrut
09 August 2013, 10:31 AM
Namaste,

Some days we are not much creative. When I joined in, there were many questions in New to Sanatana dharma and in Meditation sections. Then there was a phase when these sections were almost dry.

I have generally marked that less people ask questions about meditation and that they receive still less, convincing answers, maybe because to explain meditation, some personal info is needed, which I cannot ask.

But what you say is true. Less active members, more readers and guests. This is true not only in this forums, but also in forums dedicated to other fields

There are patriots, devoted, random visitors and guests everywhere. Some chime in only in time of difficulty i.e. to solve any problem. Once they receive a solution, they are no active anymore.

Namaste,

HDF has its own pace. Members come and go. Post like crazy then take a break, shout and scream then go and meditate. Some days I log in and there are 30 posts waiting for moderation in the matter of hours, the other days only three after 12 hours. This is how HDF works.

I rather only see less than five quality posts a day on HDF compared to 30 junk posts which I will have remove anyway. Same goes for the threads and members. I rather see less than five quality members posting than every tom, dick and pappu whose posts I will have to moderate and possibly delete or clean.

Enjoy the peace!

Namaste,

Of which type I am :rolleyes:

Hari OM

Eastern Mind
09 August 2013, 12:33 PM
Vannakkam: Partly it's because almost every conceivable concept under the sun of Hinduism has been discussed. So a newcomer can just browse. I'm curious, Satay, is there a way to get the word count (or even post count) for the entire forum? I'm guessing it's well into the millions of words.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
09 August 2013, 10:32 PM
Namaskar,
The post and thread count is at the bottom on the main page of the forum. As of now there are 99,397 posts. I don't know about word count though.

Vannakkam: Partly it's because almost every conceivable concept under the sun of Hinduism has been discussed. So a newcomer can just browse. I'm curious, Satay, is there a way to get the word count (or even post count) for the entire forum? I'm guessing it's well into the millions of words.

Aum Namasivaya

realdemigod
10 August 2013, 12:05 AM
Namaste,

Where are all the members? It seems that after many debates here in which members were directly insulting others, many members have disappeared...

It is a great forum in which everything is so organized into relevant topics.

Pranam.

I guess many including me must have realised no point arguing on many things. We need everything from cults to established religions coz people are different. Several beaten to death topics are quickly taken care of by Satay hence less traffic imo.

Eastern Mind
10 August 2013, 07:29 AM
Namaskar,
The post and thread count is at the bottom on the main page of the forum. As of now there are 99,397 posts. I don't know about word count though.

Vannakkam: So this forum is one very long book. It would take a good reader a year or so to read it.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
10 August 2013, 12:17 PM
Namaste,

.........because almost every conceivable concept under the sun of Hinduism has been discussed.

:) Reminds me of the following incident:

Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office in 1899. Mr. Deull's most famous attributed utterance is that "everything that can be invented has been invented."

Pranam.

Mana
10 August 2013, 01:38 PM
Namaste,

Hello EM, Believer, All,

I believe that Lord Kelvin said similar of science, at the turn of the 20 century ...

Friend from the West
10 August 2013, 09:30 PM
Hari Om

Namaste

This thread and a couple of responses are even reposts, including my response. Think even with questions posed that are the same or appear to be the same, illicit responses from different and newer members, and the responses from those who have responded to same issues before, offer a nuanced glimpse of differences in their newer responses. Of growth perhaps, perspective that has changed? Think there is great value in all of this.

Oh what a book it is! From here, do not post perhaps or even log in, but can peer into many times a day to look up something. What a wealth of interaction and knowledge to tap into. Just a magnificent offering.

Necro, from here as well, miss a number of Jivas who used to offer much. Very much to be honest.

Think frequency of postings will continue to be viewed in cycles, even in a mature forum. Believe this, due to what "subject is".

Om Namah Shivaya

FFTW

Ramakrishna
11 August 2013, 01:11 AM
Sita Ram,

During my first couple of years on HDF, I posted much more frequently. However, over the past year or so I have been posting in a scanty fashion. This has been due to a combination of factors, chiefly stemming from my preoccupations in the "real world", such as university studies and my sadhana. I have been steadily spending more time in japa and meditation, and overtime I have come to see HDF more as a "learning resource" than an actual discussion forum that I take part in. I still visit and browse HDF nearly every day, taking in what I can from the members, and always in some way being positively impacted by the articulations presented here; both by the deeply philosophically-minded learned members as well as the "newbies" who present a beautiful thirst for the purifying nectar of Sanatana Dharma.

In many ways, I see the stylistic composition of HDF as explained by Satay and others on this thread, as a reflection of Hinduism as a whole. I have never been a member of another online forum, but I have come across and browsed several others. Compared to HDF, the vast majority of them seem to be practically inactive or actively filled with irrelevant banter that steers the course of discussion away from the predominant subject of the forum and into the world of the mundane. HDF, with its subordinate in number yet superior in quality posts, shows a steadfast concern and commitment to the subject at hand, which is driven by a genuine seeking for knowledge and communion, and that in my opinion is a genuine reflection of the Hindu consciousness.

Jai Sri Ram