PDA

View Full Version : How to perform Gayatri pooja

Hiwaunis
20 March 2007, 11:26 PM
Om Shanti,
I came across a cd of the Gayatri mantra about a year ago. I learned it and have since been chanting it. Can someone please tell me about the pooja associated with this mantra. I've read that there are fires involved. I realize that this is a very old practice, but does anyone have any suggestions how I may practice this particular pooja safetly in an apartment?
Hiwaunis

YogSadhak
21 March 2007, 09:37 AM
Namaste Hiwaunis,

Gayatri Mantra , chanting is different than Gayatri Yagna/Gayatri Homam... or a mini version of it which is performed inside apartments using diya or camphor. On a personal note... if performing Yagna by ownself or at home .. one should not forget the ahutis and "daan puniya" done after the Yagna.. however small it may be...

Many people will suggest many different ways to do it..The best way to get started is to invite one of the qualified Gayatri Pariwar volunteer for this and perform it with them.

I have seen and experienced this simple method of Agnihotra performed by Sevaks from Gayatri Pariwar Organisation in apartments where no smoke or other issues arises.

Luckily they have a huge network of volunteers in USA. For contact details please refere this url :- http://www.awgp.org/gamma/ContactsAbroad

For details on Mantra & Yagna please refer to :- http://www.awgp.org/gamma/GayatriAndYagna

Hope it helps

Hari OM !

Jigar
21 March 2007, 10:04 AM
Namaste,
Those that perform the Gayatri mantra have an auspicious day called Gayatri Japa Day upon which malas of 108 beads are chanted upon. The Para Brahma Gayatri Mantra is the most important of all mantras repeated daily. I am not aware of any ritual pooja requiring elements for this. Priests have been asked to chant Om when performing. Also, this puja has come from being a socially classified ritual to one that is performed by everyone so I may suggest switching mantras up to your preference.

Maste Nam,
Jigar

Hiwaunis
22 March 2007, 07:04 PM
Namaste,
Thank you Jigar and Yogsadhak. I will certainly go to the website you referenced. What is the ahutis and "daan puniya" done after the Yagna? Will I be able to find out about Gayatri Japa Day at the website mentioned?

Thank you so very, very much. Getting this kind of information means so much to me. Again thank you.

Om Shanti,
Hiwaunis