PDA

View Full Version : Mantra and karmic effects?

SeekingPeaceOfMind
14 September 2013, 10:05 AM
Namaste all,

I recently completed a forty day mantra discipline which is an accomplishment as I felt as though there was a block in finding a suitable mantra. However about a week before completing the discipline I noticed small things occurring in life, such as finding less time being able to relax, feeling fatigued, difficulty sleeping, feeling feverish, things not running smoothly in general. I went over the forty days and continued to chant as I enjoyed it but have recently stopped as I feel burnt out and in some ways I feel as though I am in a dark place, I don't feel right, slightly depressed if I am honest.

Is this Karmic? If so what would cause this effect? The first few weeks I felt as though I was covering some ground but nowI don't know so much.

I have heard people say that mantra improves ones life, spiritually, materially, mentally but I don't feel as though this was the case for me.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Necromancer
15 September 2013, 10:20 PM
Namaste.

When one chants a Mantra, they must do it with Bhava - you gotta be in the right mindspace for it.

So many times, I have been chanting, thinking 'what shall I make for dinner?' or 'how am I going to make my car repayments this week'? That isn't good.

I mean, chanting the Mantra is still a good thing - better than singing a popular radio song - but the feeling isn't there. It isn't the same.

Even if you chant a mantra like Mahamrityunjaya Mantra (notices you are Shaiva) only once with all your heart - with love - with full awareness it's better than chanting one lakh with apathy or ambivalence.

If you have been chanting for 40 days and see little difference, maybe you should just stop it for a while - especially if it leads you into a dark, lonely place.

Pray to Lord Shiva and ask Him to help you. Tell Him your problems. Trust only Him.

You'll find you are chanting His Mantras which comes automatically and effortlessly then.

All the best with this and may the Lord guide and bless you.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
16 September 2013, 06:57 AM
Namaste all,

I recently completed a forty day mantra discipline which is an accomplishment as I felt as though there was a block in finding a suitable mantra. However about a week before completing the discipline I noticed small things occurring in life, such as finding less time being able to relax, feeling fatigued, difficulty sleeping, feeling feverish, things not running smoothly in general. I went over the forty days and continued to chant as I enjoyed it but have recently stopped as I feel burnt out and in some ways I feel as though I am in a dark place, I don't feel right, slightly depressed if I am honest.

Is this Karmic? If so what would cause this effect? The first few weeks I felt as though I was covering some ground but nowI don't know so much.

I have heard people say that mantra improves ones life, spiritually, materially, mentally but I don't feel as though this was the case for me.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Vannakkam: To me this sounds like a classic case of too much, too quick. Just an athlete can do further damage to a sprained muscle by trying to rehab it too quickly, our religion can be like that from intensity. So I don't see anything in the experience other than it's a lesson to slow down. Hindus have patience.

Aum Namasivaya

Ajeet
25 April 2014, 06:00 AM
Jai Shree Maa

Please you must note that chanting mantra has an effect since it contains energy. You must know how to handle the energy when it starts flowing. If you can't handle it in the right way, you trouble youself. For example, the electric current is a boon if handled n managed correctly i mean in the prescribed way however if you make mistakes it flow get un chanalised & it causes trouble / destruction.

So the million dollar question is What is the right mantra & the right way for YOU??????

Only Guru ( A siddha Guru who has got the realisation) can tell what mantra is good for you.

You must get it from your GURU. Only after initiation from the Guru( I am lucky that way to have my GURUJI) & getting the prescribed way (meaning pronunciation the central part of chanting mantras) you should do it.

Wish you all the best.

Jai Shri Maa

Ajeet

saswathy
28 April 2014, 10:07 PM
Dear friends ,
It all depends on the purpose for which a manthra is chanted . If it is for mundane interests , it does not give any positive effect immediately because every thing is subject to the theory of karma . It would reduce the impacts of agami and sanchitha karmas and purifies the mind . But prarabda karma is like an arrow let out and it will definitely give the aimed result . But a manthra recited with all sincerity and with love for the sake love of the intended deity , it gives utmost serenity and positive energy .Karma like matter can never be destroyed though it can be transferred from one form to another , that also with the blessings of personal deity .Intense devotion makes the sadhaka to take everything in his stride nonchalantly . A pebble placed in the eye makes the entire world gets covered where as the same at a distance does not affect the vision at all.Thus a true devotion makes every problem insignificant .This is the difference between manthra chanting done with purpose and done with out any expectation and purpose.

c.smith
30 April 2014, 06:50 AM
Hari Om!

In my humble opinion, if you've made a vow to chant the mantra for 40 days, an anusthan, perhaps some clarity or help is needed. See www.ashram.org/Sadhana/MantraAnusthan/MantraAnusthanEnglish/tabid/2025/ArticleId/4080/Rules-for-Anusthan.aspx and verify if any of this will supplement your practice.

In my own practices, the mind can stray at times, difficulties arise etc, but I just chalk it up to the scum coming to the surface of water to be skimmed off the top - thus an effort to purify the water. In my case, the water is very muddy. Lots of dirt and scum. Fight it a day at a time with firm resolve.

All the best and hope this helps.

Om

yajvan
30 April 2014, 11:55 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Karma like matter can never be destroyed though it can be transferred from one form to another , that also with the blessings of personal deity .

I see this a bit differently... there is a general understanding that once karma ( properly karman¹) is exhausted, then one reaches the condition of enlightenment (more apropos is mokṣa). Yet it is the other way around. It is freedom (liberation, mokṣa) that ends karma. If this is true then karma is in fact destroyed and done by the ~burning~ ( so say the wise) of past impressions called vāsanā-s.

More on this can be found here on this HDF post:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8360

Yet net-net: karma occurs in duality. If duality is removed, where then can there be a re-action?

iti śivaṁ

1.karman is action, performance; the result of karman is kṛtá. It means cultivated, done, result, accomplished, made; hence karma leads to kṛtá

saswathy
30 April 2014, 12:23 PM
Dear friends
Yes . karma seeds , once get burnt do not sprout . Since the sprouting is stopped there is no question of repitition of the karma . All this is perfectly correct . But it takes endless , , undaunted , intense effort coupled with the janmanthara merit to burn the seeds of karma in many cases . when the knowledge of self enlightens the soul , entire karma gets destroyed . It is like a big question --- which is first , the seed or the tree .We do come across some great souls who have burnt all vasanas and attained the highest state of bliss . But that is in texts . In real life it is a big questionmark . People who are at that state don't go on conducting sessions and workshops , charging for that at astronomical rates , under the guise of operational expenses . So what all , that is being dished out is theory only .They are all not realised souls .One tonne of theory is not equal to an iota of practice . So it is better to practice and experience that bliss. occassionallty if any doubt raises up getting it cleared from the other sadhakas in the path is helpful.

yajvan
30 April 2014, 12:30 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

But it takes endless , , undaunted , intense effort coupled with the janmanthara merit to burn the seeds of karma in many cases .

Again, I see it differently. It takes:

One pointedness
knowledge
graceiti śivaṁ

saswathy
30 April 2014, 08:59 PM
Both are same expressed in a different way .

Mana
02 May 2014, 05:36 AM
Namaste All,

I should stick with your path and direction, don't worry your self that anything is wrong; try not to crave any instant results.

I find c.smiths analogy to be very good:

... In my own practices, the mind can stray at times, difficulties arise etc, but I just chalk it up to the scum coming to the surface of water to be skimmed off the top - thus an effort to purify the water. In my case, the water is very muddy. Lots of dirt and scum. Fight it a day at a time with firm resolve.

We can also consider the clarification of butter into ghee as an analogy, the sinuous solids must first be removed in the heating process; thus inevitably they float to the top as karma is burned.

Effects may be seen now or in the next life time, who knows?

Perhaps you might consider not questioning your own integrity, by considering the root of these feelings; for an example, are they founded in any sort of form of desire, even if it is simply a desire for peace?
If so; from where does this come?

Kind regards, and all the best in you meditation.

Mana
02 May 2014, 05:41 AM
Oh wow, I just noticed that this is quite an old thread; never the less, there lays another perspective.

yajvan
02 May 2014, 12:25 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Both are same expressed in a different way .

Yet I see the view I offered as different...
you mention the following:

But it takes endless , , undaunted , intense effort coupled with the janmanthara merit to burn the seeds of karma in many cases

If it were 'endless' then there would be no final resolution. I see this as one-pointedness called out in patañjali’s yogadarśana; it does have resolution.

I see 'intense' effort usurped by grace... I take the support of the avadhūta gīta, and its very 1st śloka.

And I take support from the bhāgavad gītā that knowledge is the greatest purifier.

And I take the support of the śiva sutra-s that I am none other then the Supreme in a condensed form to begin with - that I can be none other then this even in ignorance.What burns the seeds of karma is the recognition of what one's real status is, not one's efforts that only builds more impressions to get rid of.

I respect your views, but just see my views as slightly different then yours...

iti śivaṁ