PDA

View Full Version : Satay please explain

Singhi Kaya
11 April 2006, 01:03 PM
What is this referral count sticking in my profile?
Also how did I manage to increase my reputation?

Don't get me wrong, I love 'em.
I want to increase them both. (ssh:My secret target is to catch up Sarabhaga.). So want to know if the system automatically does it, or it's in your hands? Do you accept bribe?

Namo Narayana
11 April 2006, 01:41 PM
singhi, if someone thinks your post was informative, they can click on the balance icon and give u reputation. you cannot do it by yourself unless you create another id to give yourself reputation (in which case satay will ban you :p). But we can make a deal ;).

Referral count is someone putting your name as the person who referred this site to you.

catching up sarabhanga in reputation is going to be hard task. i wish you luck on that.

Singhi Kaya
11 April 2006, 02:03 PM
Deal is sealed then.
I will PM you on how we can go about it. Such things must be carried in absolute secrecy. We musn't let Satay get a smell of this. Together we can even take on Sarabhanga.

satay
11 April 2006, 02:24 PM
I accept bribes...A good cup of tea is all I want...

:)

satay

satay
11 April 2006, 02:26 PM
Double Ids are allowed here but of course, most users of the forum will 'know' that you are using double ids since we are all creatures of habbit.

Unless you have a split personality like mine. :D
satay

satay
11 April 2006, 03:07 PM
Reputation points are given if a user clicks on the 'add to reputation' or 'justice' scale on a user's post.

The interesting point, however, is the 'reputation power'. Reputation power is calculated by the program by some sort of equation of number of posts, current reputation and some combination of this. The thing is that your reputation power is only good for others! e.g. I think my reputation power has gone up to 2 meaning that if I 'rep' a post instead of giving 5 points to the user it will give 10! So the trick is get rep points from those who have high reputation power. The more reps someone has the more rep power they have. So it makes sense to impress someone like sarabhanga so that he can rep one of your posts and see how many points you will get!

sarabhanga however doesn't accept bribes like me and is a true dharma adherent. (rep this post please):)

By the way, kaya I gave you reps this is why you see 20 in your count. All users start with 10 and if others like your posts they will rep you. You can see who repped you by clicking on the 'user cp' button link on the nav bar.

satay
ps: but of course, admins control rep points and power behind the scenes and can overwrite any numbers that the system calculates!

satay
11 April 2006, 03:32 PM
A lot of new users have asked 'what are the hot threads here'...

If I may make a suggestion, you can use the 'New Posts' button on the nav bar that shows all the new posts since your last visit to the site. I find this very handy and also you can use the '24 hour', '48 hours' etc. links on the main page to see posts from last couple of days and/or a week.

You can also search for posts by using the 'search' button on the nav bar.

satay

Namo Narayana
11 April 2006, 04:57 PM
I think 24 hour thing shows only the topics that have new posts much like your statistics. if there are many posts in it, it is not shown.

Singhi Kaya
12 April 2006, 11:06 AM
By the way, kaya I gave you reps this is why you see 20 in your count.

I've added you to my buddy list for the above gesture of goodwill.

Now that I have revealed my true identity, you must be wondering how much better that act of good karma is.

Singhi Kaya
12 April 2006, 11:10 AM
yes what's it for btw? I can understand a real use of Ignore list. I can ignore their post. What does a buddy list do? highlight the buddy post in bold? If it doesn nothing, is iit a virtual tool to build a team in this virtual world here? hmmm .... that does make some sense at least

I will soon find out when satay posts.

satay
12 April 2006, 11:22 AM
yes what's it for btw? I can understand a real use of Ignore list. I can ignore their post. What does a buddy list do? highlight the buddy post in bold? If it doesn nothing, is iit a virtual tool to build a team in this virtual world here? hmmm .... that does make some sense at least

I will soon find out when satay posts.

Adding someone to your buddy list shows 'your buddy' with a star (or some other icon) in the users list when browsing a forum. This is very handy if there are let's say 40 people browsing one forum or thread and you can identify right away that your buddies are online on that thread. other than that...I don't think it does anything else except telling other members that you have some buddies!

Bhakti Yoga Seeker
13 April 2006, 01:06 AM
Admin Note:

The purpose of reputation points is to rate a user's post or posts to determine whether or not you personally approve or disapprove of that post. Over time, this gives the user in question a feel for how other community members feel he or she is contributing positively to the forums. A user with a high number will indicate that other users in general approve of his/her contributions to the website. A low reputation (or negative number) will indicate that overall, other users are unhappy with his/her contributions to the forum.

These reputations should be applied to the particular posts that you would like to rate. It is unfair to all users to use deceptive tactics to manipulate other users' ratings or your own just to have a higher score or be at the top of the chain. These should be done with the purpose of providing honest opinions, not to compete over numbers. I am concerned over a couple of posts on here indicating a "conspiracy" to raise or lower these points just to get ahead. If this is simply a joke, I don't mind. If there really is something suspicious going on, however, I can find out about it easily and also find out who is doing it and will take action.

Do you have any questions or comments about the use of the forums? If so, please send a private message to Bhakti Yoga Seeker or contact any of the other administrators on this website. Namaskaar. ~BYS~

Singhi Kaya
13 April 2006, 02:55 AM
Please change your title to "Forum Protector" from "Dharma Protector" - we at least deserve a warning of the danger. This is not fair.

satay
13 April 2006, 09:17 AM
Please change your title to "Forum Protector" from "Dharma Protector" - we at least deserve a warning of the danger. This is not fair.

Please don't make sarcastic remarks at the other mods. This is a warning.

Singhi Kaya
13 April 2006, 09:22 AM
This is a warning.
I thought it comes via PM :(

Singhi Kaya
19 April 2006, 07:50 AM
I demand another referral point. Mr lapis.simon has joined the forum. I recognize the name from E-Sangha (where I shamelessly advertized for this site).

Namo Narayana
19 April 2006, 08:12 AM
singhi, your mind is occupied with greed, pride and all others. so no referral point for u. on the other hand write rig veda 20 times as an imposition.

Singhi Kaya
19 April 2006, 08:21 AM
singhi, your mind is occupied with greed, pride and all others. so no referral point for u.

you are jealous at the possibilty of me bagging another point:rolleyes:

satay
19 April 2006, 10:43 AM
referral points come from the people that sign up. While signing up members have a choice of putting someone's name or handle there. Maybe talk to the member about that. :)