PDA

View Full Version : HDF - Maintenance

satay
07 October 2013, 01:02 PM
Admin Note
namaste everyone,

Maintenance is not complete yet and I request members to not post any new threads or posts yet. I am opening the forum for browsing for now. You are able to post but I request that you do not until my next message.

Thanks for your patience.

satay
07 October 2013, 01:41 PM
namaste,
You can start posting. There is no point holding off. I have to redo the whole process another day.

hinduism♥krishna
08 October 2013, 08:17 AM
Namaste, admin.
For what purpose maintainance of forums is done ?

Thank you.

satay
08 October 2013, 08:54 AM
namaste,
For backing up the database.

satay
08 October 2013, 10:05 PM
Namaste,
We are back online. Thank you very much for your patience.

brahman
09 October 2013, 12:09 AM
Dear Sri. Satay,

Thank you for taking time out of your day and doing all these services for the sake of humanity.

Love and blessings:)

satay
09 October 2013, 12:13 AM
namaste brahman,

Unfortunately, it took much longer than I had anticipated. The forum backend has grown quite large in size and it is only headed upwards as we don't delete old posts. That said, the new setup should make it a bit quicker for years to come.

Anirudh
09 October 2013, 01:32 AM
Namaste Satay,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you, your team of moderators and all other behind the scene people for giving us a free platform to share and learn. For illiterates like me this forum is nothing less than a Bhothi Tat.

I am kind of allergic to the word Hindu due its etymological origin. It reminds me the innumerable invasion and the atrocities leveled on our present and past generation. At the same, the word Hindu has become an inseparable part and parcel of our religious identity :( . You have indeed relieved me from this catch 22 situation at least at the blogging level :D .

This is my first post using the new url (http://www.vedicdharmaforums.org/)and I am loving it.

When I access the old (http://hindudharmaforums.com/) url, a om bitmap will be associated with title which is not seen in the new url. I know it is a trivial thing but that bitmap definitely acts like a tilak / bindi for this forum...

Thanks again...

satay
09 October 2013, 10:37 AM
Namaste,

Yes, indeed the OM icon. I had forgotten about that and I will fix that later today.

Thanks for the catch.

When I access the old (http://hindudharmaforums.com/) url, a om bitmap will be associated with title which is not seen in the new url. I know it is a trivial thing but that bitmap definitely acts like a tilak / bindi for this forum...

Thanks again...

Sudas Paijavana
09 October 2013, 10:43 AM
Namaste, Satay-ji:

Thank you for your undying care in maintaining this forum. Much appreciated.

Jaskaran Singh
09 October 2013, 02:56 PM
Namaste,

Yes, indeed the OM icon. I had forgotten about that and I will fix that later today.

Thanks for the catch.

I noticed that the n with a tilde (i.e. "ñ") appears as � when in Century-Gothic font. As far as I could tell, it was not like this a couple days ago. Is this intentional? It doesn't really matter (and it's a largely superficial complaint anyway), it's just that it's a bit of a pain to change fonts for a single character when writing in IAST.

Edit: Perhaps it has to do with how you edit? When I click on "go advanced" it seems to work. Weird...

fem_phoenix1109
10 October 2013, 05:04 AM
Namaste,

I noticed that now, unread posts stay unread until I actually read them, even after the forum itself updates. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This makes a huge difference in the experience for me, and I really appreciate it.

Thank you for all that you do here. It truly is a gift.

hinduism♥krishna
10 October 2013, 07:29 AM
Namaste, Admin.
Thanks for giving such wonderful forum to discuss Hindu dharma.

As you are backing up database, are you upgrading Hdf to higher bulletin version ?

Thank you

satay
10 October 2013, 09:32 AM
Namaste hk,
Yes, definitely. That is the plan.

In fact, this maintenance outage was actually a lot more than just backing up the database. It was to lay down the ground work for an upgrade. I have also moved the forum to another hosting provider where I have almost full control over the server that is runs on.

Not sure if anyone has noticed any difference in speed of page loads.

Namaste, Admin.
Thanks for giving such wonderful forum to discuss Hindu dharma.

As you are backing up database, are you upgrading Hdf to higher bulletin version ?

Thank you

Anirudh
10 October 2013, 11:21 AM
I noticed that now, unread posts stay unread until I actually read them, even after the forum itself updates. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This makes a huge difference in the experience for me, and I really appreciate it.

+1

User experience has improved tremendously especially the "New Posts" search results.

Sudas Paijavana
10 October 2013, 12:24 PM
Not sure if anyone has noticed any difference in speed of page loads.

Highest Pranam-s, Satay-ji:

The pages load extremely faster than ever before. Also, the New Posts and Today's Posts will not take me to an inaccessible link if I click on them too much - like how, before, after a few clicks, I would not be able to access those pages unless I waited for a few hours. Thank you for the upgrades. Much obliged.

satay
10 October 2013, 01:19 PM
Namaste Sudas,
Just to clarify, HDF has not been upgraded yet. Only we moved to a new infrastructure. The next steps are to upgrade the software.

Highest Pranam-s, Satay-ji:

The pages load extremely faster than ever before. Also, the New Posts and Today's Posts will not take me to an inaccessible link if I click on them too much - like how, before, after a few clicks, I would not be able to access those pages unless I waited for a few hours. Thank you for the upgrades. Much obliged.

Sudas Paijavana
10 October 2013, 01:37 PM
Namaste Sudas,
Just to clarify, HDF has not been upgraded yet. Only we moved to a new infrastructure. The next steps are to upgrade the software.

Pranam-s, Satay-ji:

Sure. No problem. Take your time. I am not tech savvy at all; so when I was clicking through pages in a mere matter of half-seconds, I seriously thought it was upgraded, haha. But, I now understand that it is the new infrastructure that has made traveling through these forums much faster. Cool!!

brahma jijnasa
10 October 2013, 04:14 PM
Namaste satay

some strange characters "�" appear in some old posts

see this: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=103170#post103170

why? Can it be corrected?

regards

Sudas Paijavana
10 October 2013, 04:43 PM
Namaste satay

some strange characters "�" appear in some old posts

see this: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=103170#post103170

why? Can it be corrected?

regards

Namaste, Brahma-Jijnasa:

Can you please permit me to help you, if I may? Jijnasa, it seems that certain fonts that have dialectical markings/accent markings were not "transferred" over, so that emblem of a question mark will happen.

For example, my signature has tons of dialectical/accent markings - and, when Satay-ji put in a new infrastructure, some of the dialectal/accent markings were lost in my signature. So, what I did was, I went and edited my signature once again.

Can you, perhaps by any chance, edit your post in that link? Is there a button for "edit" next to "quote" when you click on it? If there is, you surely can edit those question emblems ("�"), as far as I know, because I edited them in my signature...I hope this was helpful.

brahma jijnasa
10 October 2013, 05:25 PM
Namaste

Namaste, Brahma-Jijnasa:

Can you please permit me to help you, if I may? Jijnasa, it seems that certain fonts that have dialectical markings/accent markings were not "transferred" over, so that emblem of a question mark will happen.

For example, my signature has tons of dialectical/accent markings - and, when Satay-ji put in a new infrastructure, some of the dialectal/accent markings were lost in my signature. So, what I did was, I went and edited my signature once again.

Can you, perhaps by any chance, edit your post in that link? Is there a button for "edit" next to "quote" when you click on it? If there is, you surely can edit those question emblems ("�"), as far as I know, because I edited them in my signature...I hope this was helpful.

Yes I know that it can be edited, but the problem is that I have more than 230 posts! You know that some of our members have more than 1000 posts.
I'm not willing to go through all of my posts and edit them. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

regards

Anirudh
13 October 2013, 08:43 AM
Namaste Satay,

I just found that, the following links "past 24 hours" "past 48 hours" "past 7 days" when accessed from the new link (http://www.vedicdharmaforums.org/) still redirects to the older URL while the "New Post" retains the vedicdharmaforums URL.

This is not an inconvenience and hope you wond mind. Just thought of bringing it to your notice.

P.S : Was a pain in developer's neck during my short stint as QA guy, habits die hard. :gotcha: :)

satay
13 October 2013, 09:18 AM
Namaste,
That's a piece of code I wrote seven years ago. Guess I wasn't thinking that one day we will have multiple domains! I will fix it in the days to come.

Namaste Satay,

I just found that, the following links "past 24 hours" "past 48 hours" "past 7 days" when accessed from the new link (http://www.vedicdharmaforums.org/) still redirects to the older URL while the "New Post" retains the vedicdharmaforums URL.

This is not an inconvenience and hope you wond mind. Just thought of bringing it to your notice.

P.S : Was a pain in developer's neck during my short stint as QA guy, habits die hard. :gotcha: :)

Amrut
14 October 2013, 10:06 AM
Namaste Satay ji,

Sorry for chiming late. Too busy these days.

There is certainly an improvement in speed. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for providing HDF.

Hari OM

Amrut
18 October 2013, 01:41 AM
Namaste,

Sometimes the speed is not constant. It may be due to my server problem, ISP problem or due to heavy load.

hinduism♥krishna
22 October 2013, 11:17 PM
Namste, satay.

When you are upgrading HDF and to which vbulletin version ?

Hari krishna !

kallol
23 October 2013, 11:41 PM
Dear Satay,

With this service you have guranteed yourself the next level to moksha ;) .

Bringing all these great minds together on this forum can lead to creating a enviable wiki on Hinduism - with open ends to exotic thoughts to connect the newer times with the scriptures.

Who knows the coming times may find this foum content a hugh source of updated age old wisdom which can be source of the advancement of science of those days.

Thanks for creating and maintaining this great forum. My wishes from the bottom of my heart.

Happy Dusshera and advance happy Dewali.

satay
29 October 2013, 12:40 PM
Namaste,

I will announce it when I am close to doing that.

Namste, satay.

When you are upgrading HDF and to which vbulletin version ?

Hari krishna !