PDA

View Full Version : If Buddhism is distinct, what constitutes Hinduism?

redifflal
14 October 2013, 03:34 PM
In Indian subcontinent, I understand there was a time when a major portion of the population was Buddhists. What was the name of the religion of the non-Buddhists? Were they called Hindus? As I understand, Hindu was an ethnic term used by Persians, so I am sure they called Buddhists of Bharat as Hindus as well. Was it Sanatana Dharma? What is the common thread that ties Sanatana Dharma? Is it Vedas?

Jetavan
15 October 2013, 05:53 PM
In Indian subcontinent, I understand there was a time when a major portion of the population was Buddhists. What was the name of the religion of the non-Buddhists? Were they called Hindus? As I understand, Hindu was an ethnic term used by Persians, so I am sure they called Buddhists of Bharat as Hindus as well. Was it Sanatana Dharma? What is the common thread that ties Sanatana Dharma? Is it Vedas?Many scholars call the Vedic-based religio-culture of the Buddha's time Brahmanism or Vedicism.

hinduism♥krishna
16 October 2013, 08:38 PM
Namaste,

At that time ,Dharma was being called as Sanatana vedic dharma and today also hindus prefer sanatana dharma to define hinduism accurately . But many outsiders call us as hindus.

Sanatana dharma is nothing but a hinduism . Sanatana dharma is based on vedas and it's offshoots.