PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on Karma in Hinduism

explorer_of_the_mind
22 March 2007, 09:33 PM
I recently saw a travel guide about India, and the narrator attended a Hindu festival (I forget which one). There were devout Hindus bathing in the local river, and the narrator says that they believe that they can wash away their bad karma by bathing in the river.

Is this true about Hinduism? Are certain rituals, like the one described above, believed to wash away bad karma that one has committed? I'd like to learn more about Hindu beliefs regarding karma, because I'm mostly familiar with karma in the Buddhist tradition.

Any information would be much appreciated.

yajvan
23 March 2007, 06:52 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

I recently saw a travel guide about India, and the narrator attended a Hindu festival (I forget which one). There were devout Hindus bathing in the local river, and the narrator says that they believe that they can wash away their bad karma by bathing in the river.

Is this true about Hinduism? Are certain rituals, like the one described above, believed to wash away bad karma that one has committed? I'd like to learn more about Hindu beliefs regarding karma, because I'm mostly familiar with karma in the Buddhist tradition.

Namaste,
you ask reasonable questions. There are rituals intended to relieve one of past actions that were not positive. NOw the question is how far do you wish to conceive of the past?

From a jyotish perspective, these are upayate's or corrective measures. There are also homam's and yajya that are intented to relieve one of their sufferings. These homam's or rituals, require the performer ( the priests or pujari) to be of a level of consciousness that brings success, that is this notion of credentials. How does one know this of the pujari? I am still working this part! Yet liniage and reputation is key.

Bathing has always been a purifer in most religious acts (baptisms, consecrations, ablutions). Water principle is considered a purifer and is used often as a symbol to clean, wash away, etc. It's also a symbol for consciousness. As it is clear, takes the shape of the object being perceived, like water filling a glass, jug or a hole takes the same shape.

One auspicious event that you may wish to reseach is the Kumbha Mela
http://www.kumbhamela.net/ . For me this is astrologically significant , but we will not go into this now. I hope to visit India of the next 'offical' Kumbha mela ( some call Maha kumbha mela)... this is due ~ April 2010.

re: Karma's washed away. There are a few flavors of karma... If someone more knowledgable can take the lead here, it would be good.
- Sancita karma or the sum of all actions
- Prarabdha karma - actions that are coming to fruition in this lifetime
- Kriyamana karma - the actions (seeds) you (we) are planting now for future results ( future can be the next minute, next week, next year, next life, etc etc)

These actions can be seen in ones astrological chart. and a Qualified Jyotisha i.e. well trained, can point out things from the past effecting ones life today. That is, a birth chart as well as a death chart, and a "now" chart, or muhurta, gives indications on the next station in life, or past actions that result in todays conditions. This is why there are multiple charts ( called varga's or divisons) a Jyotisha uses e.g. the Navamasa chart, the dasamsa chart, etc. In western astrology there is one chart , the birth chart and that is it. In Vedic Jyotish there are roughly 20 charts suggested by Parashara muni ( the father of Jyotish and a Rig Veda rishi).
If you go to an astrologer-jyotisha and he uses only one chart to cast and discuss your life, it is best to seek another.

.... hope, in part, this answers some of the question. At the end of the day, the biggest sin ( my teacher informs me) is ignorance of the SELF. When that is corrected , all sins are washed away.

To know the world you forget the SELF, to know the SELF you forget the world.... Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

pranams,

Agnideva
23 March 2007, 10:58 AM
Namaste Explorer,

Many times you will hear that bathing in rivers or confluence of rivers will cleanse one's bad karmas. This is a common belief in Hindu Dharma. There is much symbolism and esoteric meaning to terms rivers and confluence, as Yajvan has touched upon.

I personally do not take this belief in a literal sense. If we were to take this literally, then it would imply one can do anything one wants, and then to counter it, all you'd have to do is perform a ritual ablution in a holy river. My personal belief is that bathing in holy rivers, going on pilgrimage to holy sites etc. does not literally wash away bad karma, but that belief itself prepares or puts you in the state of mind whereby you can work out your karmas. It is truly the fire of jnana (knowledge) that burns through all the karma.

As the heat of fire reduces wood to ashes,
the fire of knowledge burns to ashes all karma.
Nothing in this world purifies like spiritual wisdom.
It is the perfection achieved in time through the path of yoga,
the path which leads to the Self within.
(Bhagavad-Gita IV:37-38)

OM Shanti,
A.

explorer_of_the_mind
23 March 2007, 12:05 PM
Thank you both for the information, it was very helpful.:)

atanu
23 March 2007, 12:52 PM

Namaste,

Both Shri Yajvan and Agnideva have explained nicely.

I once had the opportunity to take a dip myself and I can say that it did make a difference -- for a considerable time after the dip the mind was a different mind, worriless, free, light, full of sweetness.

As Agnideva said, the effect might be on the strength and purity of mind rather that on mitigation of karma itself. Actually karma is the effect of happenings on the mind. A mind detached to happenings around will not be affected to the extent a mind, which broods on happenings (in respect of their impact on one's ego self), will be affected. On the other hand, an unpalatable result (accruing from a bad karma) may result to further bad karma due to a bitter mind.

Water that we see is physical. But everything has a subtle counterpart which again has a counterpart in god's thought in consciousness, which is interlinked and ONE. That is how we feel the burden and pain of close friends and relatives even from a distance.

How God works is inscrutable. But I can say that till one cannot abide solely in the Self (for solace and support), good reading, associating with sadhus, visiting holy places and special occassions like kumbha dip all have their value.

There may be some myth. But beneath the myth truth is there for the pure minded. There is no strength like the strength attained on complete surrender.

Om Namah Shivayya

Arvind Sivaraman
24 April 2007, 02:06 AM

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Explorer of the Mind.
I shall narrate a sloka (verse) from Srimad Valmiki Sundarakandam - the 5th section of Srimad Valmiki Ramaayanam.
Pl Note : Srimad Valmiki Ramaayanam is considered as the Aadi Kavyam meaning the First Poem and is considred equal to the Vedas in importance.
The Vedas are the first scriptures received to mankind from the Great Sages at the meditation.
The Sloka:(Chapter 68 - Sloka 28)
"Nivrittam Vanavaasam cha twaya Saardha Marindamam
Abhishiktam Ayodyaayam Kshipram Drakshyasi Raghavam".

The word Abhishiktam means to Pour Holy Water collected from Holy Rivers by Chanting Holy Mantraas(Verses from Sacred Scriptures).

Meaning of the Sloka(Verse) - Lord Hanuman or Maruthi Says that "I have not only seen you (Goddess Sita) getting released from Asoka Vanam(Asoka Forest now in SriLanka)
but I have seen the coronation of you(Goddess Sita) and your Husband - Lord Ram in Ayodhya by the pouring of Holy Water collected from Different Holy Rivers."

Thus you can surmise that Goddess Sita who was going through a rough patch on account of TIME FACTOR (Which none can overcome) is also being consoled by mentioning the above mentioned verse.

Pl Note : If you are not versed with Sage Valmiki Rammayan I suggest please go through the website.