PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC Kalibari

redifflal
17 October 2013, 01:17 PM
http://kalitemple-washington.org/

I wanted to mention that this temple's priest has an amazing voice and soul while doing slokapat and other mantras. You don't have to understand Sanskrit to feel the bhakti in his voice. I was moved to tears during intense darshan with Devi Durga last weekend during Maha Ashtami's Pushpanjali while he guided the congregation. It was definitely a different experience from the norm where the purohits sound monotonous like wedding pandits just going through words very fast.

Jeffery D. Long
17 October 2013, 06:35 PM
I love this temple! I attend it every couple of months or so.

Believer
17 October 2013, 08:29 PM
Namaste,

Thank you for the link. It looks like a beautiful mandir and the resident priest sounds like a very spiritual person. Perhaps some day I will get to visit this mandir.

Pranam.

ShivaFan
17 October 2013, 10:11 PM
Namaste

Very nice temple indeed!
Jai Kali Maa!

Om Namah Sivaya

Jeffery D. Long
17 October 2013, 11:47 PM
I can now say a little more. I had to attend to something else suddenly as I was writing my earlier posting.

My wife and I have been involved with this temple a great deal, though the distance from our home (a two hour drive, one way) prevents us from being even more involved.

The deeply spiritual priest with the beautiful voice is Sri Buddhadeb Bhattacharya. He used to serve as a priest at a small Kali mandir in New Delhi and is a friend of my father-in-law. In fact, my wife and I got to meet him in New Delhi just a month before he moved to the US to serve at the Washington DC Kalibari. It's a lovely place, and they do Durga Puja in the full Bengali style. (I will try to share some photos, but I have had trouble uploading pictures from my iPhone onto HDF in the past due to file size restrictions. Their web site is excellent, though.)

Pranams (or as they say in Bengal, Pronams), and best wishes.