PDA

View Full Version : why arent Sihks Hindu?

the sadhu
02 November 2013, 03:57 PM
Sihks in my mind are the monotheist hindus.
they seem like its should be a hindu sect like vaishnava, shivite, shakta, smarta, & Sihk.

the japaji is a wonderful prayer for any hindu is recited each morning by sihks

"There is One God
He is the supreme truth.
He, The Creator,
Is without fear and without hate,
He, The Omnipresent,
Pervades the universe.
He is not born,
Nor does He die to be born again,
By His grace shalt thou worship Him.
Before time itself
There was truth,
When time began to run its course
He was the truth.
Even now, He is the truth
And Evermore shall truth prevail. "

so why werent Sihks embraced as a part of sanatana dharma.
from study i gather that guru Nanak was essentially teaching Advaita-Bhakti.

Believer
04 November 2013, 02:21 PM
Namaste,

they seem like its should be a hindu sect like vaishnava, shivite, shakta, smarta, & Sihk.
Answers are already there, One just needs to do a search on what has already been discussed and posted before. An example,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6283

Pranam.

Alter ego
30 December 2013, 11:17 PM
Namaste,

Answers are already there, One just needs to do a search on what has already been discussed and posted before. An example,

Pranam.

Sikhism had a lot of Vaishnavic influence .The tat khalsa inspired neo Sikhism emerged only after the British rule of Punjab

Believer
31 December 2013, 10:37 AM
Namaste,

Sikhism had a lot of Vaishnavic influence .The tat khalsa inspired neo Sikhism emerged only after the British rule of Punjab
Isn't that what the link (provided above) documents?
Did you care to read that post? Do you have anything new to add?

Pranam.

Alter ego
31 December 2013, 11:30 AM
Namaste,

Isn't that what the link (provided above) documents?
Did you care to read that post? Do you have anything new to add?

Pranam.

Namaste,

To that post I have a lot to add.

but I am a new member .My posts get moderated and it will be possible for me to write a full fledged post only after this phase is over

Pranam

Believer
31 December 2013, 03:58 PM
Namaste,

but I am a new member .My posts get moderated and it will be possible for me to write a full fledged post only after this phase is over
Moderation means that your posts are read for quality control and there is a delay in them appearing in the forum. It does not mean that you cannot articulate your POV in a full fledged fashion and submit it.

Pranam.

isavasya
01 January 2014, 04:45 AM
No need to give quotes. It is better to let the follower of Sikhism describe themselves what they want themselves to be refereed as. Citing quotes to twist a point is what charlatans like Zakhir Naik do. Sikhs do not want themselves to be called Hindus, so why should we call them so ? Many Hindus try to remind Sikhs of their roots. But Sikhs have launched many statements that they are not Hindus. I don't give a damn about what is the overall population of Hindus, but I do not count Sikhs as Hindus. They call us rat worshipers and other such terms then why the hell we should call them Hindus. I personally do not count Sikhism as a dharm, but see it as an organized religion like Christianity and Islam.

jasdir
16 January 2014, 04:06 AM
Like the term "सीखना" means "Learning"
Similarly, the term "Sikh" means "A learner", or the one who learns from Guru.

In fact, anyone who learns from any Guru can be called as "Sikh", Indeed. :)

Avyaydya
16 January 2014, 01:26 PM
Namaste,

Pranam.
Seems Sikhs have been divided: Sanatan Hindu Sikhism: Neo-Sikhs stop Brahmin Bashing! (http://sanatansikhi.blogspot.nl/2011/04/sikhs-stop-brahmin-bashing.html)

Nirvaasit
27 February 2014, 09:53 AM
Vaishnava, Shakta, etc etc aren't really "sects" per se. That is just what the Britishers ingrained into the new education system they put in place, after sacking the Indian Educational Systems as it facilitates their rather successful "Divide and Rule" policy.

As for the question on Sikhs, here is another interesting link which gives a summary of what has happened.http://www.shastarvidiya.org/articles/misunderstandings.html

I think this thread is pretty much concluded that Sikhs "are" Hindus.

Manifest
29 September 2014, 09:30 AM

"There is One God
He is the supreme truth.
He, The Creator,
He, The Omnipresent,
Pervades the universe.
He is not born,
Before time itself
There was truth,
He was the truth.

They are hindus but Sikhs EGO is stopping them from seeing it, until and unless, every Sikh learn to read Guru Granth Sahib, then they would see that Sikh are NOT different than Hindus because GGS has references to Hinduism, Vedas, Stories.

manish
11 August 2016, 07:23 AM
In most of the contemporary literature, Sikhism is treated as a separate religion.

Sikhism explicitly calls for a strict no-no to idol worship. And Hindus do follow idol worship.

Sikhism also talks about "akal murat" in the mool-mantra(the root verse of sikhism) which means that God is formless.
Hindus on the other hand worship the Shiva, Krishna and other deities.

"There is One God
He is the supreme truth.
He, The Creator,
He, The Omnipresent,
Pervades the universe.
He is not born,
Before time itself
There was truth,
He was the truth.

Believer
22 August 2016, 07:58 AM
Namaste,

Sikhism explicitly calls for a strict no-no to idol worship. And Hindus do follow idol worship.

Sikhism also talks about "akal murat" in the mool-mantra(the root verse of sikhism) which means that God is formless.
Hindus on the other hand worship the Shiva, Krishna and other deities.

There have been endless discussions about all that you say. Sikhs consider a book, mere paper with some printing on it to be 'God', put it on a special small platform, put the whole thing on their head and walk around with another person fanning the book. What is all that, if not another form of idol worship? Everybody tries to denigrate Hinduism by linking it to idol worship without realizing that every religion has some symbolism. Then they say that everyone is equal, but by adding the word Kaur, every sikh woman is elevated to be a princess/queen. This means that all non-sikh women are "dasis". Is that treating all humans as equals? In Sikhism, there are so many different sects depending on where the people converted from. There are different sikh communities from different types of "dalits" and professions. All this superiority talk is hogwash.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?6283-Sikh-Sabhas-Demystified

Pranam.

srmn
25 November 2016, 01:30 AM
Namaskār, Sat Sri Akāl,

Well, a big gap has been created between Hindus and Sikhs by the politics of hate in the last century. This politics has created some Hindus

who see Guru as just some printed papers and some Sikhs who see Avatars as just some stone idols.

Now to answer the question Are Sikhs Hindu ? For me if there is mutual respect for each other then there is no difference between the term Sikh and Hindu. A Sikh is a Keshdhari Hindu when he respects the Rama Avatar, Krishna Avatar or Durga Devi and Hindu is a Sahajdhari Sikh when he respects Sikh Gurus.

However, if the question is coming from political hatred, then you have already created a wall my answer would be NO, as I cannot lose my identity to fit in someone else's frame. I cannot reject my Guru as my consciousness is not allowing me to do so.