PDA

View Full Version : Sound Dislocation

Webimpulse
11 November 2013, 09:00 PM
Namaste HDF,

A quick question about something that happened to me during meditation today.

There was a fan running in my bedroom before I was meditating, I had left it on. However, as I was meditating, the sound of the fan...moved. It was behind me before I started, but eventually I could hear the fan running sound coming from in front of me as I was meditating. When I stopped, the sound was behind me again.

What does this signify? Anything I should be worried about?

Friend from the West
11 November 2013, 09:33 PM
Hari Om

Namaste to all,

Webimpulse, my opinion only, think the only thing to be concerned about, is why you are meditating and the meditation. This is focus. In hindsight, this may be a, hmmm moment. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep focus to why you felt compelled to start in first place. One pointedness on this discipline, think answers the hmmm moments.

Take good care,

Om Namah Shivaya

FFTW

ShivaFan
12 November 2013, 12:08 AM
You can actually reach levels in meditation that develop siddha powers, I am not saying that is what happened here, but yes you can shift the sound wave to an alternate location. Perhaps there was something behind you that wanted your attention,you sensed this and the sound shifted so you could more readily hear it. It wasn't ready to be directly in front of you, because it was perhaps worried you might be taken aback. Also be mindful, to invite only friends.

Om Namah Sivaya

Believer
12 November 2013, 10:20 AM
Namaste,

How does sound travel? - by using air as the medium. And the sound waves reflect when they hit an object. When the meditation process started, the stronger waves from behind were the dominant ones that your hearing perceived. After some time when the meditation got a little deeper and your system shut out some of the external stimuli, you could hear only the reflection of the sound waves from the wall in front of you, giving the illusion that the source of the sound waves was in front of you. Does that explanation satisfy your curiosity?

I am not the one to think that the Divine has nothing better to do than to orchestrate things 24/7 to my perceptions/comfort/liking. With deeper meditation, perhaps the system would shut itself completely to the external stimuli and one would not hear the fan at all.

Pranam.

Webimpulse
12 November 2013, 11:19 AM
I am not the one to think that the Divine has nothing better to do than to orchestrate things 24/7 to my perceptions/comfort/liking.

Namaste Believer,

I am sorry if I came across that way, that wasn't my intent at all to imply that I was expecting the Divine to do that. The reason I brought this up in the first place was because I was genuinely curious and I was also asking if it was a sign of something bad, like a medical condition or something. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't suffering some kind of medical malady involving hearing.

I know better than to think the Divine has to pay special attention to me in any way. I hope I'm not that arrogant, and I'm sorry if I came across as such. :(

Eastern Mind
12 November 2013, 12:39 PM
Namaste HDF,

Vannakkam Webimpulse:

Personally, I think such events are quite commonplace in meditation, so I don't think you should worry about it. But I can also understand why you asked the question. Rest assured it's pretty 'normal'.

Aum Namasivaya

Amrut
14 November 2013, 02:15 AM
Namaste HDF,

There was a fan running in my bedroom before I was meditating, I had left it on. However, as I was meditating, the sound of the fan...moved. It was behind me before I started, but eventually I could hear the fan running sound coming from in front of me as I was meditating. When I stopped, the sound was behind me again.

What does this signify? Anything I should be worried about?

Namaste,

There is nothing to worry about. It is not a bad omen. Whatever you experience is due to mind. It is possible that you may have given some importance to the sound for some moments and it must have made some impact on your mind. Sound could move within your mind (not in literal sense), but when you enter a little deep in meditation in realm of mind i.e. you are aware of thoughts and feel a little blank, this is where the sound might be playing itself.

It is difficult to explain. The mind is where the thoughts are and so is the sound. People chant mantra in mind. Mantra may continue on itself. When you are fully conscious of sound, at that moment, you may not be aware of your body (that's why I said you experience something like blank state). It is here that you may feel that a sound is coming from somewhere.

Even if you have not understood what I have tried to convey, please be assured that there is nothing wrong in it, nor is your mind becoming weak. In other other I concur with what EM ji has said.

Aum