PDA

View Full Version : Tulsi Neck Bead Questions

SonAnthony
20 November 2013, 03:00 PM
Hello!

I was highly interested in getting these specific neck beads to show my devotion and love for Krishna

http://krishnastore.com/images/cache/Tulsi_NeckBead_Fancy-200x129.jpg

I understand the rules before wearing them, but I wanted some reassurance.

First is, I still eat meat. I am only 19, a college student, very skinny and come from a struggling family, so I still eat meat, though I plan on stopping eating meat when I move out on my own. I have not eaten beef or beef products in a year. I am a very conscious meat eater and I know that it is wrong, should I wait to wear the beads?

Next question is can I have sex still? And I only smoke cigars on occasion, should I stop that too?

I know I am sinning but I want to please Krishna in any way that I can :)

Thank you!

Araloka
23 November 2013, 06:01 PM
To wear Tulsi you should follow the four regulative principles:

1. No illicit sex.
2. No meat.
3. No intoxication.
4. No gambling.

Devi Dasi
24 November 2013, 09:06 PM
Haribol!

Srimati Tulasi Devi is a living entity very dear to Lord Krsna, you should not offend Her by disregarding the reality of Her purity and presence in kunthi mala. It's acceptable for an aspiring Vaishnava to wear Tulasi neck beads in order to help purify and conform to the 4 regulative principles. But if one disregards those principles entirely and continues in a manner of life contrary to them, then the wearing of the kunthi mala is pretense only and considered an offense to Srimati Tulasi Devi and Lord Krsna.

"to show my devotion and love for Krishna"

There is no greater way to show love and devotion than to accept the spiritual principles given for our upliftment from material condition of life.

"One need not be in undue anxiety about minor slips in details. Deliberately avoiding or minimizing the details, for the sake of convenience, or due to personal attachment / aversion is what leads to offenses. But if your attitude is one of humility and enthusiasm to learn and be corrected, that attitude is very pleasing to Krishna. What attracts Krishna is a devotee's sincerity of purpose -- which indicates the effort to closely follow all the scriptural principles, not just for the sake of rules but only for the purpose of pleasing the Lord. It is this sincerity of purpose which attracts Krishna's mercy." http://www.romapadaswami.com/node/9391

smaranam
25 November 2013, 08:25 PM
Hare KRshNa

Also, Tulasi Devi is an expansion of Shri (Lakshmi) and hence Shri Hari's antaranga shakti (internal potency) and not a living entity as in jiva-tattva.

Devi Dasi
26 November 2013, 05:05 AM
My humble obeisances to Smaranam for the clarification. I meant to say that Srimati Tulasi Devi is a real Personality which can be pleased with us or offended by our actions and intended to mean "living entity" in sense of actual personhood which we interact with on this plane of duality, and not that She is subject to laws of life, death and karma as a "living entity" or jiv-atma.

Haribol.

smaranam
27 November 2013, 04:06 AM
praNAm Devi Dasi,

Did sense that you meant "living entity" as in "A Person/Personality". That is why added the extra FYI with the phrase "as in" just in case someone reads this and goes home with

"Oh, Tulsasi Devi is a living entity, i see" :)

considering Shrila PrabhupAd used that term distinctly for jIva-tattva.

Hari bol ~