PDA

View Full Version : Sinus problems

IcyCosmic
11 January 2014, 11:01 AM
Namaste.

For the past almost year, I have not been able to breathe through both my nostrils. Ocassionally one. I used steroid nasal sprays for a while, but I don't want to use these. It helps me breathe normally. I think I have [perennial rhinitis] which I found out after self-diagnosis because doctors these days can be so useless. This is a condition where allergens cause the vessels in my nose to swell up; due to a weak immune system. [ayurvedic explanation]

I looked up some Ayurveda treatments and have started using them, only a few days ago, so I don't know if they work yet.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything else that can help, any meditation, yoga positions, ayurvedic treatments or even anything else, because not being able to breathe and having a heavy forehead is really detrimental to quality of life. It has also made it difficult for me to do pineal gland based meditation as its hard to breathe through my nose and chant sometimes.

I have tried

- Jal Neti (water doesn't come out through other nose, just comes out of mouth)
- Steroid Sprays (very strong prescrption)
- Normal over the counter sinus sprays
- Strips
- Tablets

The steroid sprays work well, but I don't want to use them if I can avoid side effects!

Eastern Mind
11 January 2014, 05:22 PM
- Jal Neti (water doesn't come out through other nose, just comes out of mouth)

Vannakkam Icy: The neti pot takes some while to get used to. Keep trying! Unless you're built totally differently, it should work. Maybe try it once after the nasal spray. Then you know those passages are open.

Good luck.

Aum Namasivaya

Aanandinii
10 May 2014, 07:58 PM
Namaskar Icy,

I hope you have found some relief from the inflammation and are breathing a bit better? This comes late and is perhaps no longer useful - I'm not sure if it will work either but it's worth a try if you'd like.

I can't remember where I read it, but having had stuffy-nose problems while meditating this winter I found myself reading that an old trick is to put direct, prolonged pressure in the middle of the armpit of the opposite side of the nostril you need to clear. Apparently it's one of the uses for those japa armrests, if you have one, but anything will work.

I have no idea why this works, but it did for me. Pressure points and reflexology has usually been useful to me though.

~Pranam

parteeksharma
10 May 2014, 10:47 PM
namaste icy :)

i have a solution for you i myself have been suffering from sinusitis for a long time(8 years now) when i was 16 years old my all 8 sinuses were filled with mucous due to allergies doctors said i had to be operated immediately to drain the mucous otherwise my skull will start deforming and melting,i had some important exams coming up so i couldn't undergo the procedure so they gave me steroids to relieve me from pain ,in the meantime i happened to see a homeopathic doctor which gave me instant relief.
but one thing which has kept me sinus healthy since then is 'steam'

i'll suggest you following

* this is a permanent condition,try finding out what causes you allergy and be extra careful around that time mine is whenever there is a change in season it flares up ,everybody has something like dust, season when they cut the crops or anything .

*buy a vaporizer steamer inhale steam through it two times everyday (morning evening)

*just use plain water no need to add anything in it .

* inhale through your mouth and exhale from your nose.

i can be a little difficult in the starting but eventually you get used to it, it also helps cleaning your face and making it look radiant;)
you will start feeling its effects immediately if you do it properly you will feel light instantly :)

stay tough i know it can be really difficult when you cant breathe,you can't even sleep and your head feels like it is made of the heaviest element in the world and is constantly in pain ,,..

may god bless you :)

Believer
11 May 2014, 10:01 AM
Namaste,

Try to do this for a few days,
http://www.yogawiz.com/pranayama/anulom-vilom.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgs4YosrVe4

Additionally, putting few drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water and breathing in the rising steam helps relieve the swelling of nostrils. Don't know if that oil is available at the Indian stores in the West.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
11 May 2014, 10:08 AM
Vannakkam: Another possibility that came to me because of personal experience is that it's not a sinus problem at all, but a tooth problem. If the upper molars extend into the sinus cavity, and those molars get infected, some of the infection can leak out the bottom end of the root and cause sinusitis symptoms. The solution is a root canal. However, this is more common in ages 50+.

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
11 May 2014, 10:54 AM
Namaste Icy,

The immune system and allergic reactions are intrinsically linked to the endocrine system which links our mind to our body; this is why steroids work, they are hormones; You are right, they are best avoided.

Pay attention to which nostril is blocked as this will speak to you of your current state of mind,. Left blocked, you are probably being active, right blocked more rested. There is a perfectly normal osculation between the two during the day, taking an hour and a half or so to swing when we are well balanced. They should congest very slightly one after the other but not totally block.

Do you daydream icy? If yes, this is when your left nostril should predominate, whilst projecting your mind out upon the world it will be your right. If you are experiencing blockages then you need to work on how your energy is flowing two and from the world about you; your breathing mirrors this.

Think of this perhaps as inward or outward thought. If you are being overly corrective, or assertive, in either direction; congestion will likely occur; learn to relax. All the wise suggestions given will help to clear the problem, but remaining clear is the goal, thus avoiding congestion in the first place.

If you smoke, forget it ...

As Aanandinii has suggested, work upon your body's energy flow by way of the pressure points may well help you to balance your prana. You could look to find a practitioner who has mastered their own flow, to help assist you with yours.

Kind regards.

Amrut
11 May 2014, 12:12 PM
Namaste,

I agree with Anandini.

When I used to practice yoga, before meditation I had to make sure that my both nostrils are open.

I used to tight my fists and put it under my armpits and press armpit little tight.

Put right fist under left arm pit. After few breaths, nostrils would become free.

Repeat for other nostril.

After meditation, I used to instruct myself (auto suggestion) that divine energy is going in my nostrils and in my forehead. Negative energy is cleaned. Nostrils and forehead are strong and healthy.

If your head gets heavy, then please be aware of heart chakra (anahat chakra) and not pineal gland or 3rd eye (AGYA chakra, ajna chakra)

OM

Eastern Mind
11 May 2014, 12:17 PM
Vannakkam: For the tooth problem I mentioned earlier, another key to it's discovery is the 'one side only' circumstance.

Aum Namasivaya

Aanandinii
11 May 2014, 12:22 PM
Namaste,

...putting few drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water and breathing in the rising steam helps relieve the swelling of nostrils. Don't know if that oil is available at the Indian stores in the West.

I haven't seen essential oils in our local Indian shops, though that's not to say they don't have them. However, essential oils are available everywhere here in many forms. The key is to find a brand that doesn't cut them with a carrier oil, which reduces their potency and if ingested can sometimes be dangerous. Eucalyptus is one that usually doesn't get cut though. You also want to make sure it hasn't been sitting around on a shelf for years.

Whole Foods carries a decent brand, some of the Trader Joe's locations do, if you have any co-op grocers near you, you may find an Ayurvedic and homeopathic section there as well. New Age and Wiccan stores usually carry good brands and keep them fresh too, if you have those near you. You can definitely find them online, if none of the above.

I have a Tea I cook up for when I have a cold and can't breathe through my nose. Part of the recipee is Eucalyptus Essential Oil, and breathing the steam. =) This is a great suggestion.

I hadn't considered pressure points working on energy flow, but that does make a lot of sense, thank you Mana ji.

~Pranam-s

Mana
11 May 2014, 12:41 PM
Namaste Aanandinii

The 4th house is the chest area the 3rd the arms, so, armpits I presume (I am speculating here) are between the two, the 4th house is also the nose the 3rd the ears ... Between them the sinuses.

The nadi relate all these within us; I believe modern science calls them nanotubes ...

Kind regards.