PDA

View Full Version : Manav Seva Mandir

Anima Deorum
24 March 2014, 10:09 PM
Namaste :)

I just got back from a spiritual pilgrimage wherein I traveled to Chicago to partake in a three day yoga retreat. But I made sure to visit a temple on the way. My friend and I arrived at the Manav Seva Mandir (http://www.manavsevamandir.org/main.html) on a Friday morning. He had never visited a Hindu temple before, so I gave him a few tips on etiquette. We came inside and took our shoes off. I greeted a few other devotees with "Namaste," which has proven a reliable, if general, greeting in Sanatana Dharma. Anyway, there was a glass wall separating the prayer room from the front entrance/yantra circle (for special occasions?). The priest inside saw us, as we paused briefly before entering the prayer room. I was telling my friend that he didn't have to bow if he didn't want to. The priest opened the door and was about to ask us something, but I greeted him with namaste, and he just sort of understood and walked back in the prayer room. I have to admit, my friend and I didn't quite look the part of pilgrims!

But I made my prayers and sat before our Ishtas. I especially loved the image of Mother Durga. The priest gave us dry prasad. This temple was great. It was smaller than the one I usually go to in Michigan, but also way more laid back. The few people there actually acknowledged me, which was nice. I saw Gujarat on the walls and heard one devotee greet the priest with "Jay Shree Krishna," which I have read is a common Gujarati greeting. So I used it as a farewell before we left. I said it to both priests, who wished the same to me, and a man in the room was also very positive about it. I'm very thankful.

http://www.manavsevamandir.org/main.html

Jay Shree Krishna

Aanandinii
28 March 2014, 10:56 PM
Namaste Anima Deorum ji,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. And thank you too for teaching me something, it may explain why this is a common greeting at the Temple I have been going to. :)

Pranams