PDA

View Full Version : Identify this "Shiva Mask"

ShivaFan
14 April 2014, 01:13 AM
Namaste

Can anyone help me identify this "Shiva Mask"? I purchased it in a temple store at a Hindu temple here in the Bay Area. It was shown to me among many murti items by the gentleman running the temple store, he was taking out items for me to see from a special compartment of murti items which were not on display visibly in the store.

He said it is a "Shiva Mask", and it indeed resembles what I have seen as a Shiva Mask on a BBC documentary. But that one was about 3 inches tall, while this is about only just over 1 inch and one half. I payed $21 dollars donation.

I think this is 19th Century or earler, any ideas?

http://imageshack.com/a/img691/7138/xsmf.jpg

Kalicharan Tuvij
14 April 2014, 04:11 AM
Namaste SF

It looks more as the face of a Shaiva King - who is also a ShivaBhakta par excellence - and could be a real depiction from probably down South of India, probably Kannada (guess, hehe).

The artist probably meant it to be "your Shaiva friend", as the Shaivas are no doubt great friend types- they are very simple, almost to the point of gullible, yet possess a hidden greatness of a Shaiva that surpasses everything else in depth and width.

So the divinity aspect is there, but has been intentionally, as it were, put in the background lurking from there instead of shining fully up the forefront. The features are clearly corporeal, but the archetypical Shaiva "the friend" is indeed depicted successfully.

The control exerted by the artist is remarkable, but could be a skill acquired traditionally. So there is a lot behind the mask.

ShivaFan
14 April 2014, 12:16 PM
Very interesting KT. Thank you for this.
I have decided not to place the "Saiva" on an altar, but I will keep in a special respectable display.

I wonder how old.

Om Namah Sivaya and Happy Hanuman Jayanti

Kalicharan Tuvij
14 April 2014, 12:41 PM
Happy Hanuman Jayanti, SF

pranam.