PDA

View Full Version : MahaVidyas and Vishnu Incarnations

Who am i
02 May 2014, 06:30 AM
Dear Learned members,

It is said that each of Mahavidyas denotes a avatar of Lord Vishnu.

In that case, Sakthi and Vishnu are 2 sides of same coin.

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2010/10/ten-incarnations-of-vishnu-and-ten.html

Want to know if there are any historical scriptures/puranas describing this.

Thanks

Ram11
02 May 2014, 10:19 PM
Namaste,

I do not have the answer for your query but I will share what I know.

Devi is often a addressed as Narayana Sahodari i.e. sister of Narayana. Some sages have seen that power as a male deity and glorified it as Sri Vishnu and to other sages 'it' appeared as a female deity(Devi).Devi and Sri Narayana are said to be siblings in many Puranas.
Therefore they are two sides of the same coin.

I have not read about any relation between the Dashavataras and Dasha Maha Vidyas.Actually,avatars of Sri Vishnu are more than 10.

If you observe the marriage image of Sri Devi and Sri Shiva below,you will see Lord Vishnu offering his sister Devi Parvati to Lord Shiva.http://www.madurai360.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Meenakshi-Thirukalyanam.jpg

Who am i
03 May 2014, 08:35 PM
Ram,Thanks for reply.

Hi Yajvanji/Amrut/Others

We could see Mahavidyas grouped under 2 cateogries.Ugra roopa (kali,tara..etc) and non-ugra ones( TripuraSundari,Matangi..etc).
Since it is said that Ambal is coiled as Kundalini in our Muladhara,is there any difference in Kundalini Behaviour when one does upasana on Ugra Devata and non-ugra one.I read somewhere that if one does proper sadhana of Kali,Tara..etc she may raise as kundalini with full potent but sadhaka's health should be strong enough to bear it.

Hence it is advised to do sadhana on non-ugra roopas in mahavidyas as she is more gentle,softer.But it is also said that in Kali Yuga,worship of ugra roopas bring quick results.

Not sure if above statement is true or not.Request learned members to post their feedback.

Kalicharan Tuvij
04 May 2014, 12:08 PM
For instance,

From experiential point of view- that too, more along the Advaitic kind of tools and means- in my view I have found Kali and Ram to be of same essence, or as another example, Sarasvati and Krishna as of same essence. But what I mean by "Advaitic tools", Sarasvati is not of same essence as Kali, that is very much clear. But worshipping either Sarasvati or Krishna give the same ananda, to my belief and observations.

On Kali,
She is wrongly connected by many to kundalini. I see Her sitting pretty above and beyond sahasradhara.

Who am i
05 May 2014, 06:07 AM
Hi

Thanks for reply.Just want to know story behind formation of dasa mahavidya.Can anyone tell me that?

Ram11
06 May 2014, 01:28 AM
Namaste,

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=112915&postcount=17

kriyarameeshh
08 May 2014, 04:42 AM
Namaste,

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=112915&postcount=17

Sri Matre Namaha,

I recall reading somewhere that it was in Todala Tantra, an attempt was made to link Dasa Mahavidyas and 10 incarnations of Vishnu. Similarly, there is also a procedure for worshiping a specific mahavidya to appease a Planet. But I find this explanation baseless and useless.

Each Mahavidya is wholesome and independent. Any one Mahavidya is more than sufficient to fulfill our worldly and spiritual desires. There is no need to master all the Vidyas, then why other incarnations and planets etc...

Don't get me wrong, stick to a Mahavidya or Vishnu, but do not mix both.

ganeshamylord
17 May 2014, 11:17 PM
Aum gam ganapataye namaha
Om shree mahaganapataye namaha
Om vakratundaaya hum

Mahavidyas and Lord Vishnus incarnations are interrelated in the sense the qualities of consciousness they bring about,
Example Kali is equated with Krishna. Krishna in the sense is the ultimate destination or the supreme abode and Kali is the means by which we go to Him.
That is she gives us the true knowledge through which we. Hence beej mantra of both krishna and kali is KLEEEM.

Please get over the illusion of names and forms. Every power/incarnation/avatar is a part of the same Parabrahman,
The intention of worship is what makes a pooja satvic or rajasic or tamasic not the deity who is worshipped.
Also you can offer flowers and fruits to Kali and just because she is Kali she wouldnt expect blood and meat as offerings.

Stories are given just so you can relate to the deity with a particular fervor and not because you should delude yourself into believing in the form per se.

The same Krishna appeared as Gauri to Radha. The same Kali becomes the benevolent and beautiful bhuvaneshwari or sundari.,

Hence there are mantras like OM OR HREEM which can be used for any god or goddess which remind us that all forms and names are aspects of the same supreme incomprehensible truth