PDA

View Full Version : Precautions for converting to vegetarian?

Ravenwolf
30 June 2014, 05:29 PM
Hare Krsna,

As noted elsewhere I am a recent convert very isolated from any other Krishna's. I was reading that vegetarians need to be careful about their diet and include things to replace things lost not found in vegetables or not proper amounts of some other things ect. All these just plain confused me. I believe the articles talked about certain vitamins, zinc, and protiens. Are there any hard fast rules Anyone could share with me to help clarify this most confusing topic? I am not sure how to begin safely now, and not sure how best to proceed. Please advise me if anyone can help.

yajvan
02 July 2014, 12:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Hare Krsna,

As noted elsewhere I am a recent convert very isolated from any other Krishna's. I was reading that vegetarians need to be careful about their diet and include things to replace things lost not found in vegetables or not proper amounts of some other things ect. All these just plain confused me. I believe the articles talked about certain vitamins, zinc, and protiens. Are there any hard fast rules Anyone could share with me to help clarify this most confusing topic? I am not sure how to begin safely now, and not sure how best to proceed. Please advise me if anyone can help.

To make your life simple, consider reading some information on āyurved¹ ( ved = knowledge + āyu=āyus = life, health).

Consider these posts: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=57095#post57095

iti śivaṁ

āyurved - contains eight departments:
śalya or (removal of) any substance which has entered the body
śālākya or cure of diseases of the eye or ear by śalākās or sharp instruments ;
kāya-cikitsā or cure of diseases affecting the whole body ;
bhūtavidyā or treatment of mental diseases supposed to be produced by demoniacal influence ;
kaumāra-bhṛtya or treatment of children ;
agada-tantra or doctrine of antidotes ;
rāsāyana-tantra or doctrine of elixirs ;
vājī karaṇa tantra or doctrine of aphrodisiacs

Ravenwolf
02 July 2014, 01:26 PM
Thank you for the reply. I am looking at the messages now. I am trying to learn all I can.

Hare KRSNA!

Eastern Mind
02 July 2014, 02:01 PM
Hare Krsna,

Vannakkam: In my view, it is the other way around. Meat-eaters are the ones that need to be careful about their diet. Where do they get vitamins, fibre, and certain minerals? How do they lower their cholesterol? What happens to the large amounts of extra protein?

Aum Namasivaya

markandeya 108 dasa
02 July 2014, 03:05 PM
Hare Krishna Raven,

Check this out

http://harekrishna.com/col/books/VEG/ht/

Eating good prasdam is all you need for good health.

Ys

Md

Ravenwolf
02 July 2014, 06:46 PM
Hare Krsna!

AWESOME Link! Thank you so much!