PDA

View Full Version : Hinduism... Ambition and Vocation

mblova
10 April 2007, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm back on the forums but i need a little help this time with an ethics essay.

How does hinduism dictate our values and morals when the issue is Ambition and Vocation? Is there any guidence in the texts that helps us reach toward certain professions, lifestyles and vocations..... and also how does culture influence us to look down upon certain jobs/callings.

Im merely asking because i am not very familiar with the texts and would appreciate any help.

mblova
10 April 2007, 10:00 PM
No takers?

sm78
11 April 2007, 01:17 AM
I'm merely asking because i am not very familiar with the texts and would appreciate any help.

Since Hinduism is not one book ~ most of us r in the same page as far as direct knowledge of texts ~ specially those governing right vocation etc are concerned.

In general most of hindu sects and teachers believe in family vocation and that a son should take up his father's job. While this is formalized by the Varnasharm system ~ those who traditionally don't believe in the orthodoxy of the varnashram also say the same. This is because Hindu philosophy wants us to struggle lesser part of the life in finding and defining a new vocation for oneself and spend more time on self development.

In present day world, making a living has become a struggle.

mblova
11 April 2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for a prompt reply. Just another quick question.

How does Hinduism dictate our self development. Or a better question is, What is self development according to hinduism?

atanu
12 April 2007, 12:44 PM

How does Hinduism dictate our self development. Or a better question is, What is self development according to hinduism?

Self needs no development. Manas or mind (some say soul) needs to join to self. That is bliss of perfect marriage.

Regarding, vocation, Shri Krishna says: do your work without desiring any outcome, submitting all fruits to me. It would actually mean: give up sankalpa (personal ambition) and work for the Lord only.

Tough for us, till one understands that the particular ambition that one may have is Lord alone -- as desire (or sankalpa) in mind. Who plants a particular ambition in me? What is the nature of a desire? -- it is a distortion or a modification of the awareness alone.

Awareness is Lord.

yajvan
12 April 2007, 09:26 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste mblova,

A very reasonable question. Self development for Sanatana Dharma ( I am not a big fan of this Hinduism word) is Self Unfoldment.
This Self ( there is only one SELF) is universal in nature. It is the realization of this experience that is called enlightenment. Just as the sun shines all places the same, the clouds have the tendency to 'hide' its brilliance, and they do not diminish the brilliance of the sun. Like that, when we remove the clouds from our consciousness, the sun is there in full brilliance, the SELF. the Backdrop for all life, existence, rests on this SELF.

Now, there are lots of posts on this on this forum.. the clouds are like vasana's, mental impressions, you can read of this. There are lots of posts on Moksha, some call Kaivalya or liberation.

hope this helps...