PDA

View Full Version : Personal Information

satay
21 July 2014, 04:22 PM
namaste,

Just a reminder to all members that you should be very careful when sharing your personal information on the Internet, especially on forums like HDF. Please do not share personal information on HDF unless it is limited info and in the Jyotish forum.

This includes such things as sharing information on where you live, what you eat, how many kids you have, what you do, what your family does, what diseases you might have etc. etc. Such information adds no value to HDF and exposes you to all sorts of dangerous stuff. When in doubt, just don't do it.

Thanks

yajvan
21 July 2014, 06:50 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

I support satya's views and guidelines on this matter. There are mischief makers in the wings ( perhaps not in today's HDF audience mix) and this information becomes fodder (food) for poor behavior.

I know for some it may feel cathartic (relief through open expression) to do this but it seems reasonable to avoid future grief when at all possible.

iti śivaṁ

Viraja
21 July 2014, 07:01 PM
Namaste,

Perhaps I should keep this sound advice in mind, I have a tendency to narrate my personal data quite often.

On a side note, I even feel that one should keep their religious identity - smarta, Vaishnava, Shaiva, etc undisclosed or maybe, never put to much use. This is just my personal observation.

Thank you.

NayaSurya
21 July 2014, 07:21 PM
I hope it was okay to post about my mind within the mind conversation, if not I will delete my posts. I do understand your reasons and hope mine was okay. If not, please let me know as the last thing I would want to do is make you unhappy or be a bother. :p

satay
22 July 2014, 02:51 PM
Namaste NayaSurya,

I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I wrote the original post. It is just a reminder to everyone.

I hope it was okay to post about my mind within the mind conversation, if not I will delete my posts. I do understand your reasons and hope mine was okay. If not, please let me know as the last thing I would want to do is make you unhappy or be a bother. :p

NayaSurya
22 July 2014, 05:39 PM
Thank you, you do a very hard job and I am grateful.

ShivaFan
22 July 2014, 11:48 PM
My internet activities have become known even though I am "new" to such sites only the last 2 years or so. I am active not just on Hindu sites, but using my same monicker on other sites including political discussion and world affairs. As a result, members of a certain other religion hate me and would love to act on threats. So it is wise to limit exposing too much personal information.

Actually, the only time I was actually identified personally due to my activity specifically on this forum was the initial first couple of weeks as a member when members of another Hindu group figured out who I was from literally decades ago and wanted to get my association for various reasons. Literally, it was that fast they were even calling me up, even though I had not seen or spoken with these good hearted but "clinging" folks for over 20 years. Believe me, if you expose too much you will be found.