PDA

View Full Version : Critical thinking...

yajvan
27 July 2014, 01:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

I thought to just make a note on this notion of critical thinking that may apply to some posts here on HDF.

I am of the opinion that critical thinking is healthy. But one must first ask, what definition are you applying to this notion of critical thinking ?

From my point of view critical thinking engages a (disciplined ) process of actively and perhaps skillfully applying, analyzing, and evaluating information from our śāstra-s , āgama-s¹ and the like for reflection, or communicating one's views. These views can (or may) act as a guide to a belief or action or more importantly the input for change in comprehending one's notion of reality and life that impacts one's world view.

This critical thinking can include comparing and contrasting one's views to another's , but not at the expense of another's belief system.

This boils down to technique... how to do this thinking w/o stepping on others ? It by no means is easy because worlds cause mischief. A benign word to you is a spear to another. So , what does one to ? The best they can.

It has taken HDF some years to evolve out of the notion that 'my Supreme is nobler then your Supreme' . This was a common thorn some years back, so many here are mindful of not returning to yester-year. Therefore the HDF moderators make choices, not always right, but I am of the opinion the right intent is there.

If you feel slighted in any way it informs the 'owner' that the ego is still present ( yes, in me too) and a learning experience is being offered. If you are wide awake you will see this opportunity, if not, then one more vāsanā¹ is being deposited and will ( sooner or later) need to be dealt with.

Every one and every thing is put in front of you for a reason...

this whole universe has come into existence just to carry you to God Consciousness. It is not meant to push you down. This universe is meant for your upliftment....svāmī lakṣmanjū

iti śivaṁ

words

āgama - a traditional doctrine or collection of such doctrines , sacred work; Its deeper meaning is to come near, approach, just like the notion of 'upaniṣad' - come sit close (to the truth)
vāsanā - impression within consciousness, some say within memory.

Believer
28 July 2014, 08:58 AM
Namaste,

Whereas Critical thinking is a desirable common trait among us, it should be used to research and contemplate and get a deeper understanding of the scriptures. It is often observed that, that ability is used in a negative way in either ripping apart the scriptural knowledge or the Hindu traditions. Take for example the recent comments about a marriage ceremony. One reader's observation was that since the priest recited all the relevant verses, it gave the appearance of the priest marrying the bride, rather than the groom. The thinking was used in a negative way to question the marriage ceremony. It was not framed as a question and the deduction had an air of finality to it. When I offered that it was the fault of the priest, and that he was required to prompt the groom or the bride to recite the verses, and that he was just a facilitator, the comments just got glossed over. We have far too many ego driven 'know it all' younger minds who use their logic and critical thinking in negating as much as possible of the traditions, culture and scriptures. Another person wanted to rewrite the scriptures for the current times because he did not agree with certain aspects of it and found many things outdated. I also used to be one of those rebels in my younger days of complete ignorance.

It has taken HDF some years to evolve out of the notion that 'my Supreme is nobler then your Supreme' . This was a common thorn some years back, so many here are mindful of not returning to yester-year. Therefore the HDF moderators make choices, not always right, but I am of the opinion the right intent is there.

I am surprised that such things happened in the forum in the early days because when I came along, the general feeling was that the so called 'senior members' had contributed too much good to the forum and their posts must not be challenged and should be taken as the gospel truth. Of course some of them found the kitchen getting too hot and moved on, while others adjusted to the new reality.

Pranam.

JaiMaaDurga
28 July 2014, 01:32 PM
Namaste,

Not too long ago, I was presented with such a learning experience
as yajvan describes- an acquaintance sent me a link to a page in which
Shaktism is presented as the lowest level of worship, with comparisons
to the smearing of lamb's blood over doors, etc.

This had two lessons for me; one was that there are always those
who willfully ignore or disregard the "not at the expense of another's
belief system" aspect of critical thinking, per yajvan's definition.

The other was, that despite my general awareness of this, the internal
has yet to match the external in the "ruffled feathers" department...
to say a feeling of "righteous indignation" never arose would be
dishonest. At least the wisdom not to feed such a fire is there, allowing
the opportunity to continue learning, and to remember just how wily
and determined an opponent the ego can be.

JAI MATA DI

Amrut
30 July 2014, 05:57 AM
|| Hari OM ||

Namaste,

I agree with all.

Generally my reply is very long, but here I managed to wind up in just one line :D

Our intellect should be directed in such a way that it increases our faith (in God and shastras and Guru .. and us).

OM