PDA

View Full Version : TEMPLES - Wishlist

Ram11
30 August 2014, 07:18 AM
Namaste,

All of us want to visit certain places,especially temples.In this post I request members to share the names of the temples they would like to visit in the future.

I want to visit Puri Sri Jagannatha temple.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-no9bkturEWg/UgIk_tdym3I/AAAAAAAAAA4/n1c3NLTE0Zs/w800-h800/2.jpg

Viraja
30 August 2014, 04:07 PM
Namaste,

Even with Sri Rama as Ishta-devata, it is not Ayodhya (or any other Sri Rama temple) that I want to see, but it is that of my father 'Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Deva' in holy AHOBILAM that I want to visit.

Ahobilam is considered the most sacred of Sri Narasimha Deva's sthalas and contains 9 holy shrines of Sri Narasimha Deva's 9 different forms! It also contains the sacred 'Ugra Sthamba' or the pillar through which Sri Narasimha Deva emerged, in response to the prayers of bhakta Prahlada!

I have heard that visiting this holy place is very tough, as conveyances such as buses, etc aren't there or are very scanty and one has to climb steep mountains up and down to visit all the 9 shrines! But, it is said, this place is most energy-packed and a gem among those sthalas one wishes to visit!

Sri Rama is more of a friend to me, but Sri Narasimha Deva is 'my father'. I had bonded with him right away after reading some devotional works on him and he forever has a very stronghold on my psyche.

I so wish Sri Narasimha Deva would grant me darshan of himself at AHOBILAM!

Hail to Narasimha Prana Devaru!

http://temple-of-secrets.blogspot.com/2013/09/ahobilam-nava-narasimha-temples.html

Thanks.

Eastern Mind
30 August 2014, 06:06 PM
Vannakkam: Where so I start? :)

To be clear, I'm not attached to this stuff, it usually just comes up as whims... hey, it's be nice to go there some time.

I'm probably already well over 50, maybe over 100. A Kannada friend of mine who has been traveling steady since he retired is now at 144 countries. He keeps track, and each time I see him, my first question is, "So how many countries is it now?"

But here goes ..

Himalayas ... Badrinath, Kedarnath, Amarnath Cave, and Muktinath

India .. 12 Jyothirlingams, and 5 elemental lingams, especially Tiruvannamalai, and Kasi

Malaysia ... Batu caves, Penang Hill

America .. Nashville Ganesha, Toronto Varasiddhi Vinayagar, Hindu temple of Atlanta

That's a good start.

Aum Namasivaya

Ram11
30 August 2014, 09:35 PM
Namaste,

It also contains the sacred 'Ugra Sthamba' or the pillar through which Sri Narasimha Deva emerged, in response to the prayers of bhakta Prahlada!

I have heard that visiting this holy place is very tough, as conveyances such as buses, etc aren't there or are very scanty and one has to climb steep mountains up and down to visit all the 9 shrines! But, it is said, this place is most energy-packed and a gem among those sthalas one wishes to visit!

I so wish Sri Narasimha Deva would grant me darshan of himself at AHOBILAM!

Hail to Narasimha Prana Devaru!

http://temple-of-secrets.blogspot.com/2013/09/ahobilam-nava-narasimha-temples.html

Thanks.

Namaste Ji,

When I was in school our Samskrutam acharya Ji told us about the Ugra Sthamba,I was amazed to know that it existed really.When I used to watch it in devotional movies I used to think where is the pillar now?
I too hope I will visit Sri Ahobalam someday.

I think the facilities are improved now.A few months ago I came across a detailed book published by the Sri Ahobalam Mutt about the history behind each form and the amenities and the procedure to visit the nine Kshetras in one go.They also mentioned that guides are available.

It would be good if you will contact Sri Matham before visting as they will help you Ji.

P.S. Do you know Kannada?

Ram11
30 August 2014, 10:06 PM
Vannakkam: Where so I start?

To be clear, I'm not attached to this stuff, it usually just comes up as whims... hey, it's be nice to go there some time.

I'm probably already well over 50, maybe over 100. A Kannada friend of mine who has been traveling steady since he retired is now at 144 countries. He keeps track, and each time I see him, my first question is, "So how many countries is it now?"

But here goes ..

Himalayas ... Badrinath, Kedarnath, Amarnath Cave, and Muktinath

India .. 12 Jyothirlingams, and 5 elemental lingams, especially Tiruvannamalai, and Kasi

Malaysia ... Batu caves, Penang Hill

America .. Nashville Ganesha, Toronto Varasiddhi Vinayagar, Hindu temple of Atlanta

That's a good start.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Ji,

Yes,there are so many destinations to visit.

Oh I forgot about the Himalayas!

I've been to Sri Chidambaram Akasha Lingam.It is a big temple with stunning murals on the ceiling.There is a shrine of Sri Govindaraja Perumal beside Sri Nataraja Swamy.

I've seen Sri Grishneshwara Jyotirlingam.The temple has a very small red door and the tour guide said that if a persons head hits the door frame red milk will ooze out from the head.:eek:I was scared when I heard that but now I realize that the red milk might be blood.:D:Roll:

I saw the Batu caves temple in a Tamil movie,it is very beautiful.Wherever Hindus go they build wonderful structures,Sri Batu Murugan is a good example.

I think one of my relatives got married in the Atlanta temple you mentioned.

I would like to add SriRangam temple.

SriRangam Namperumal

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00884/VBK-NAMPERUMAL_1_884657e.jpg

ShivaFan
31 August 2014, 02:03 PM
Namaste

I have been to Jagannath Puri and the temple, it is very wonderful however even though I could prove without a doubt that I am a Hindu, I was not allowed into the sanctum. Because of this discrimination against me, essentially based on race ("Caucasian") I have no desire to return there. However, many Hindus who like me were discriminated against are building very large and wonderful Jagannath Temples of which I can visit, which now many are visiting for darshan, and yes I would like to visit those.

In Vrindavan I visited many temples and had many wonderful communions and spiritual events, and my favorite is Kashi which was the same.

The list for Kashi and Vrindavan is a long list, and especially Kashi there is no question I will return since even if I die tomorrow all the paperwork and will is in order along with money reserved for the expenses, that my ashes be thrown in Ganga at Manikarnika.

And that is the one "temple", the one tirtha, I always love to see again, the sun rising or setting over Ganga at the City Never Forsaken by Shiva (Kashi).

One temple I have not yet been to that is on my dream list is the Chidambaram Nataraja Temple which absolutely will allow me in since I have already been invited to it for darshan. So I must. Also, I would like to visit and have darshan at the Meenakshi Temple at Madurai because I have devotion for Her, however I am not sure if I will face the same discrimination as in Puri despite the fact I can prove I am a Hindu.

http://www.vedicodyssey.com/images/adventures/1204_south_india/chidambaram/chidambaram_temple_grounds.jpg
(Chidambaram)

Om Namah Sivaya

Eastern Mind
31 August 2014, 07:52 PM
Vannakkam: SF, Chidambaram will be no problem, (I can hook you up with a friend there if you'd like) but Madurai is hit and miss. Somebody might stop you, and maybe not. Of the 5 0r 6 times I've entered it, I got stopped once, and had to show documents. Of course they recognised it right away and I got in. The other times were no problem, no stares, nothing ... and pleasant conversations just relaxing after taking darshan.

So I'd just go if I were you. Just walk right past the sign.

Aum Namasivaya

Ram11
01 September 2014, 12:25 AM
Namaste

I have been to Jagannath Puri and the temple, it is very wonderful however even though I could prove without a doubt that I am a Hindu, I was not allowed into the sanctum. Because of this discrimination against me, essentially based on race ("Caucasian") I have no desire to return there.

Namaste Ji,

This is awful.So sorry to hear that.Please try to visit during the Maha Ratha Yatra when Sri Jagannatha himself comes out of the temple to give darshan to all devotees.

Did you visit Kashi Sri Vishwanatha Jyotirlingam?

One temple I have not yet been to that is on my dream list is the Chidambaram Nataraja Temple which absolutely will allow me in since I have already been invited to it for darshan. So I must.

It is a very beautiful temple Ji.I suggest you read as much as possible about the temple and have a look at the temple map before going.The temple was quite big and as I did not know the entire complex I probably missed seeing some places.It is also special for both Shaivas and Vaishnavas as the temple also houses Sri Govindaraja Perumal near Sri Nataraja Swamy.What an awe inspiring temple!

Oh!I miss the sweet prasada from this place,it was so good!:D

Also, I would like to visit and have darshan at the Meenakshi Temple at Madurai because I have devotion for Her,however I am not sure if I will face the same discrimination as in Puri despite the fact I can prove I am a HinduAs EM ji said I hope you will not face any obstacles and have a happy Darshan of the Devi.

This practice seems so bad.Even I saw boards in many temples but I thought they would never implement such things.:(

Eastern Mind
01 September 2014, 06:34 AM
This practice seems so bad.Even I saw boards in many temples but I thought they would never implement such things.:(

Vannakkam: I agree with the practice of not allowing non-Hindus to enter. Non Catholics can't take communion. Non Mormons can't enter Mormon temples, and there are probably tons of other examples. A Hindu temple is not a public place like a city park. It's a privately owned institution, and the management has every right to make the rules like dress codes, and who can enter which parts. We don't need gawkers, cameras, and tightened security everywhere. At Madurai now there is tight security (airport style metal detectors) at each gopuram entrance. This practice was instituted to guard against terrorist attacks.

Non-Hindus without the proper attitude will dilute the temple sannidhya. But it's only the temples that are also tourist attractions that are affected. Off the road temples like Palani have no such problems.

The problem is that race is a general indicator for being a non-Hindu and works 90% of the time. It's the other 10% like myself and ShivaFan who have to deal with it. Of course Indian Christians and Muslims also can get in because of this indicator but they wouldn't want to anyway.

If I was ever turned away from a Hindu temple, I'd just chalk it up to karma, and move on to the next one. Like a place of business, if they don't want me, I'll find another store that will.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
01 September 2014, 06:44 PM
Namaste,

Completely off topic now but I personally do not know what's behind this practice of discrimination against Hindus of non indian origin entering the temple. Tradition aside the practice doesn't seem to be working well as if I were an Indian Muslim or Christian I would not be stopped from entering. Surely if this discriminatory practice must continue for some reason perhaps tradition, not sure, temple authorities can put a bit of thinking behind it and come up with a better process for admission? What happens to interracial families, are only the indian looking folk allowed in and the rest must stand outside like idiots? :cool1:

On the surface it seems to be an odd practice and completely discriminatory.

The problem is that race is a general indicator for being a non-Hindu and works 90% of the time. It's the other 10% like myself and ShivaFan who have to deal with it. Of course Indian Christians and Muslims also can get in because of this indicator but they wouldn't want to anyway.

If I was ever turned away from a Hindu temple, I'd just chalk it up to karma, and move on to the next one. Like a place of business, if they don't want me, I'll find another store that will.

Aum Namasivaya

Aanandinii
04 September 2014, 08:37 PM
Namaskar ji,

A tough question indeed! I hardly know where to start... "all"? I hope to be able to see all of the Jyotirlinga one day, and of course there are the famous Shiva temples. But on the practical side of where I am almost certain to visit again: Chennakeshava Swamy Temple, Karmanghat Hanuman Temple, Sri Subrahmanya Swami Temple, and Balkampet Yellamma Temple are among the first of my list for around Hyderabad.

in Jaipur I was immediately drawn to Sri Jagat Siromani Temple and Sanghi Jhumtharama Mandir but never got to visit. When we go back I am definitely going to them:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm120/SisterOfKarn/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/IMG_2064_zps05d7c33c.jpg (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/media/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/IMG_2064_zps05d7c33c.jpg.html)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm120/SisterOfKarn/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/IMG_2069_zps01e83e95.jpg (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/media/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/IMG_2069_zps01e83e95.jpg.html)

While researching these temples to find out which they were I learned of a few more I would like to visit: The Jain Sun Temple, Sri Laxmi Narain Temple and Ambikeshwar Mahadev Mandir, all in Amber Town and also the Kund near Ambikeshwar. And then there is Moti Dungri Temple in Jaipur.

There are also a few more temples I would like to see in Mysore and Indore, but I am not sure how likely we would go to either again.

I do want to see all of the Jyotirlingas, but I most definitely feel like i need to go back to Ujain. I think we missed the Shaktipeetham there, which I would very much like to visit as well as Mahakaal again, and there are so many more in that city that sound nice. And I want to go back and find the temple I had such an experience in, it was in the same gated area and open quad area as Mahakaaleshwar Mandir, across the square from the Omkareshwar Mahadev shrine entrance, if I remember corrcetly. Nandi sat outside the entrance to the ante-chamber on a high pedestal, with a carved stone roof over him. I just realized it was a separate temple/shrine the other day. If anyone has been and might know it, I would be very grateful.

In the US, I would love to see the Mahakaaleshwar in Baja, the Saiva Siddhanta Church temple in Kauai as well as the Ganesha shrines in the Rudraksha forest there, The Shiva Vishnu Temple of South Florida in Southwest Ranches - though I intend to visit the South Florida Hindu Temple again, which I went to last year, and they are both a long drive that I may have trouble talking my rides into. And the Hindu Temple of Cincinnati, though it may be some time before I get back out to Cinci again - unless I can get my other half interesting in some cave hikes. :) Here in MA, I plan to visit Sri Lalitha Peetham next, and want to go back to Ashland's Sri Laxmi Temple sometime. There is another further out west that I would like to visit sometime, and a Hindu Temple of NH not so far away.

I have to say, though I agree with EMji on his point about non-hindus, I also don't know if I would have had the same experiences if I had been kept out of the Mahakaaleshwar complex on basis of my skin and hair color. In fact at the time, I would not have said I was Hindu in faith, and that would have been a fair assessment, I didn't know what I was then and it had long been a source of pain for me. Being allowed to make offerings and receive Darshan... well, maybe I might have had that experience if I had to stand outside the temple and look in, but somehow I doubt it. That's not to say all tourists should have carte blanche in very sacred spaces, but not every tourist is irreverant and crude either. And a lot of assumption appears to be placed on physical appearance which leads to a double standard - even here in this country. Again, not without some kind of reason, but I still don't like it any more than I like any other kind of discrimination. Do ends justify means ever, really?

Also, a person of any religion can go into any Christian church and receive sermon, benediction, confession and blessing. Some people may wonder at it if it were someone who "looked like" they "should be" a different religion, but that person will still be allowed and accepted. I've even known people who are not catholic receive catholic communion - and protestants do no restrict communion to those who have received doctrine and first communion at all, anyone can partake. I've never been in a church that practiced otherwise. Just don't bring in a camera, and be respectful is all. This feels like the beginnings of exclusionist or isolationist movements in a faith that purports to be for everyone and welcoming of all, and so these measures seem counter to the point. In the end it might hurt more than help, such movements rarely seem to be beneficial to a majority. But then again, I am speaking from ignorance, so please forgive me if I'm wrong in my thinking and if you have a moment, teach me better.

How does one "prove" one's faith anyway? It seems I am already at enough of a disadvantage in being female. Perhaps traveling with my best friend and sister to places this might be questioned would help, or no? I like the idea that if I'm meant to go there it will work out and if not no bother, but I know there are a few places I would like to go that I will most likely face this.

~Pranam-s

Viraja
05 September 2014, 06:11 AM
Dear Aanandinii,

You write so beautifully. Since you are in the NE USA, I would also love to recommend to you the 'Ranganatha Temple' of Pomona, NY - it is a very beautiful temple dedicated to Sri Vishnu. And then, I hear from my husband that 10 yrs ago we visited another great Shiva Vishnu temple in Maryland, USA. I forgot the temple altogether but my husband says it is a very beautiful temple. I believe it would be this http://www.ssvt.org/.

Just thought of mentioning these to you!

Regards,

Viraja

Eastern Mind
05 September 2014, 07:16 AM
And then, I hear from my husband that 10 yrs ago we visited another great Shiva Vishnu temple in Maryland, USA. I forgot the temple altogether but my husband says it is a very beautiful temple. I believe it would be this http://www.ssvt.org/.

Regards,

Viraja

Vannakkam: I've been to that one, and it is beautiful. There is also a Murugan temple about 5 blocks away.

Aum Namasivaya

Aanandinii
05 September 2014, 09:30 AM
Dear Aanandinii,

You write so beautifully. Since you are in the NE USA, I would also love to recommend to you the 'Ranganatha Temple' of Pomona, NY - it is a very beautiful temple dedicated to Sri Vishnu. And then, I hear from my husband that 10 yrs ago we visited another great Shiva Vishnu temple in Maryland, USA. I forgot the temple altogether but my husband says it is a very beautiful temple. I believe it would be this http://www.ssvt.org/.

Regards,

Viraja
Namaste Virajaji,

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I will definitely add both to my list. NY is not so far, it would make a nice weekend trip. The one in MD is actually not very far from a dear Uncle who has been asking us to come visit for years now, too. I love synchronicity. ^_^

Thank you as well for you kind words. :)

~Pranam

ShivaFan
05 September 2014, 10:33 PM
Namaste Satay

I have documentation that proves I am a Hindu. I also have Indian Hindu relatives. So I have be able to enter temples where others have not, such as in Bhubaneshwar. Only Jagannath Temple was the exception, and a temple in Nepal.

Actually I agree that non-Hindts should not be allowed in if that is the policy of the temple, and I am extremely embarrased when non Hindu Western tourists with cameras come and start "gawking", they should be thrown out in cases and I myself have given them a bit of my mind.

I am not making a big deal over this, just I do dream of going to have darshan with Meenakshi. But I also think we can build our "own" temples just like the ones whicg might not let me in for example.

Just f.y.i. however, the Jagannath Temple in Puri is very special to some Western Hindus such as from ISKCON, I know for a fact that Prabhupad wrote a petition that requested his initiated pujaris should be allowed in if "Western" so they could observe proper puja methods but it was denied.

Ram11
27 September 2014, 01:29 AM
Namaste Aanandinii Ji,Viraja Ji,EM Ji,ShivaFan Ji and Satay Ji.

I was a bit busy and could not reply.I thank you all for telling about various shrines.

I think I will have to add many more shrines to my wishlist from the ones expressed above,especially from Aanandinii Ji's list.:)

anucarh
03 October 2014, 04:53 AM
Namaste,

Good choices, everyone.

I've made a friend from Tumkur, Karnataka and some friends from Chennai, Tamil Nadu. For my first trip to India (September of next year in time for Janmāṣṭamī would be nice), I hope to visit the Parthasarathy Temple in Chennai (see the photo immediately below). It was built in the 8th century. It is primarily a temple to Śrī Kṛṣṇa, but also to four other forms of Śrī Viṣṇu. It has a shrine to the Āļvār Āṇḍāḷ. It is actually praised in the Nālāyira Divya-prabandham. Both traditions of Śrī Vaiṣṇavas worship there. It is like stepping into ancient history. It's apparently larger and more wonderful than the photo suggests.

In Tumkur I hope to visit the 12th century Chennakesava Temple primarily dedicated to Śrī Viṣṇu (see the second photo below).

praṇām

Terms defined

Āļvār ("deeply immersed" in the experience of the divine) or Āzhvār-any of the twelve Vaiṣṇava poet saints of South India who lived between the 6th and 8th centuries C.E.

Nālāyira Divya-prabandham-the collection of "Four Thousand Divine Hymns" composed by the Āļvārs.

Śrī Vaiṣṇavas-Viṣṇu devotees in the tradition of the Āļvārs and the spiritual genius, philosopher, and saint Śrī Rāmānujācārya.

http://bharatdiscovery.org/w/images/5/56/Parthasarathy-Temple-Chennai.jpg

http://www.journeymart.com/de/AttrationImages/chennakesava-temple-belur.jpg

Aanandinii
12 October 2014, 02:13 PM
I've made a friend from Tumkur, Karnataka and some friends from Chennai, Tamil Nadu. For my first trip to India (September of next year in time for Janmāṣṭamī would be nice), I hope to visit the Parthasarathy Temple in Chennai (see the photo immediately below). It was built in the 8th century. It is primarily a temple to Śrī Kṛṣṇa, but also to four other forms of Śrī Viṣṇu. It has a shrine to the Āļvār Āṇḍāḷ. It is actually praised in the Nālāyira Divya-prabandham. Both traditions of Śrī Vaiṣṇavas worship there. It is like stepping into ancient history. It's apparently larger and more wonderful than the photo suggests.

In Tumkur I hope to visit the 12th century Chennakesava Temple primarily dedicated to Śrī Viṣṇu (see the second photo below).

Namaste Anucarh ji,

How exciting! I hope you have a wonderful trip! Please if you get pictures and are comfortable with sharing, it would be great to see them.

The Chennakeshvara temple in your second pic is not the one in Tumkur though, the one in the picture is Chennakeshvara in Somanathapura, which is closer to Mysore. There are several Chennakeshvara temples it seems, and this is the one in Tumkur I believe:
https://static.panoramio.com.storage.googleapis.com/photos/large/88768128.jpg

Still, from what I can tell, Tumkur is not more than a couple of hours drive from the one in Smanathapura if you have some time to explore and want to go to that one as well.

If you do, I would also highly recommend Ranganathaswamy Temple, it is amazing, gorgeous and first built in the late 8th century as well. There is a stunning shrine with Sri Vishnu reclining on Shesha and Sri Lakshmi attending, and devotees may enter the garbha griha.

If there is interest I have some great pictures from the Samanathapura Chennakeshvara and a few from Ranganathaswami.

~Pranam

anucarh
13 October 2014, 12:34 AM
Namaste Aanandinii ji,

> How exciting! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for your kind wishes. I'm also very excited by the thought of visiting the Holy Land for the first time. :)

> Please if you get pictures and are comfortable with sharing, it would be great to see them.

I will definitely share any photos, if I'm able to make this trip happen.

> The Chennakeshvara temple in your second pic is not the one in Tumkur though, the
> one in the picture is Chennakeshvara in Somanathapura, which is closer to Mysore.
> There are several Chennakeshvara temples it seems, and this is the one in Tumkur I believe:
> Still, from what I can tell, Tumkur is not more than a couple of hours drive from the one in
> Smanathapura if you have some time to explore and want to go to that one as well.

Thank you for the correction. They both seem like good choices.

> If you do, I would also highly recommend Raganathaswamy Temple, it is amazing,
> gorgeous and first built in the late 8th century as well. There is a stunning shrine with
> Sri Vishnu reclining on Shesha and Sri Lakshmi attending, and devotees may enter the garbha griha.

I googled this temple after reading your comments. It looks absolutely incredible! It must be enormous as well, judging from the photos.

> If there is interest I have some great pictures from the Samanathapura Chennakeshvara
> and a few from Raganathaswami.

Yes, thank you. I'm very interested in seeing your photos, if you're willing to share them. Thanks again.

praṇām

markandeya 108 dasa
14 October 2014, 05:55 AM
Pranams,

I am often asked what is my favourite deity and temple, and I can never answer, each has their own charm and purpose. I spent 5 years travelling in India as a Brahmacrai and have done many Parikramas around Vrndavana, Puri and Mayapura and Navadwipa. I did padayatra with bullock carts for 3 months around Gujurata and around 6 months walking and visiting temples from Orrisa down to Tamil Nadu. I forget the name of the temple but we had to walk for about 5 days through jungle roads to a mountain temple of Sri Narasingha.

I have fond memories in South India of walking for many days in very harsh conditions of heat and sore feet on the road and then seeing in the distance some of the Sri Vishnu and Lord Shiva's temples in ancient style vedic city layout and designs.

I also walked with some sadhus from Dev prayag to Badrinatha, but sadly the road was closed because of snow and the army was not letting anyone pass. I stayed for a week in Joshimath which was a very good experience but still the road was closed and I had to go back for my flight, so that is a journey I want to do at some point in the future, this time I want to take my sons. I stayed for a few days with the temple Brahmin of Dev Prayag, he was very kind to me and showed me some really nice places around where different pastimes took place. The temples are amazing, the culture is ancient but the pastimes of each place is what makes these places so sacred and powerful.

Although I am detached now fro many years from main stream ISCKON I do feel they have a very high standard of Deity worship and the temples such as Bhaktivedanta manor in England where I visit a few times a year is very special and has a certain potency of Bhakti, plus I first became a monk at the Soho Street temple in London, so this place will always have a special place in my heart.

I love all temples and I traveled around some Parts of S.E Asia in Thailand and Malaysia visiting Buddhist places, but by far the most impressed I have been is the South Korean Temples, but all Buddhist temples I find are very sophisticated and well looked after. We have some nice ones in England that I visit from time to time.

Although I can understand why some westerners are not allowed in temples I think it needs to be revised, I have not had any real personal problems because my time in India was always auspicious, but I do hope things can change. I have no intent on becoming a Hindu, I feel more like a spiritual scientists who test scientific formulas of sadhana, so hopefully the temples can see all beings beyond the concept of designations.

Ys

Md

Aanandinii
18 October 2014, 09:02 PM
Namaskar Anucarh,

Thank you for the correction. They both seem like good choices.
From what I understand there are several and each is a little different, and I think one might actually still be active. They're all good choices, I agree.

I googled this temple after reading your comments. It looks absolutely incredible! It must be enormous as well, judging from the photos. It is quite large, yes, and busy. :)

Here are a series of slideshows from Somanathapura Chennakeshwara Temple. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get them together, I hadn't really curated the photos I took yet, this was a great chance to do so. This Temple is a ruin after a Muslim invasion, but rather than being completely destroyed, it was mostly buried, so there's a lot intact and it has been slowly been being restored.

Because it's inactive people are allowed to take pictures inside the sanctums as well as outside the Temple.

Keshava Yard (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Yard?sort=4)

Main Gate and Entry Area (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Entry%20Hall?sort=4)

Temple Compound (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Temple%20Compound?sort=4)

Main Hall and Antechamber
(http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Main%20Hall%20Antechamber?sort=4)
Sri Chennakeshava Shrine (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Sri%20Keshava%20Shrine?sort=4)

Sri Janadhara Shrine (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Sri%20Janadhara%20Shrine?sort=4)

Sri Venugopala Shrine (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Sri%20Venugopala%20Shrine?sort=4)

Keshava Temple Exterieor (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/SisterOfKarn/slideshow/Various%20Forum%20Stuff/HDF%20pics/India%20Temples/Chennakeshava%20Somanathapura/Chennakeshava%20Temple%20Wall%20Carvings?sort=4)

I still need to organize what I have for Ranganathaswami Temple, but there are far fewer of those as it's an active temple. Will post them when I've got them in order.

~Pranam

Eastern Mind
19 October 2014, 07:45 AM
Vannakkam: I've posted this before, but it seems this might be a good place to do it again. The Tamil Nadi government virtual tour site is a great place to browse many of the ancient Dravidian temples before going.

http://tamilnadutourism.org/virtualtour/

I'm not sure if other states have similar websites.

Aum Namasivaya

anucarh
20 October 2014, 10:44 PM
Here are a series of slideshows from Somanathapura Chennakeshwara Temple. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get them together, I hadn't really curated the photos I took yet, this was a great chance to do so. This Temple is a ruin after a Muslim invasion, but rather than being completely destroyed, it was mostly buried, so there's a lot intact and it has been slowly been being restored.

Because it's inactive people are allowed to take pictures inside the sanctums as well as outside the Temple.

I still need to organize what I have for Ranganathaswami Temple, but there are far fewer of those as it's an active temple. Will post them when I've got them in order.

~Pranam

Namaste Aanandinii,

Thank you for the excellent virtual tour of Somanathapura Chennakeshwara Temple! I finally had a chance to look at it all. I love the ringed pillars and the detail that remains in the beautiful statuary and the high relief. (Also, your Whovian moniker did not escape me. :) ) I'm glad that so much has survived.

I look forward to the shots of the Ranganathaswami Temple.

praṇām

anucarh
20 October 2014, 10:45 PM
Vannakkam: I've posted this before, but it seems this might be a good place to do it again. The Tamil Nadi government virtual tour site is a great place to browse many of the ancient Dravidian temples before going.

http://tamilnadutourism.org/virtualtour/

I'm not sure if other states have similar websites.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM ji,

Thank you for this.

praṇām

Ram11
17 November 2014, 09:44 PM
Namaste Ji,

Did any one visit Sri Kedarnath & Sri Badrinath?

Jaskaran Singh
28 November 2014, 11:41 PM
Namaste Ji,

Did any one visit Sri Kedarnath & Sri Badrinath?

I haven't, but I have visited the Yamunotri Mandir in Uttarakashi this summer (also the Raghunath Mandir in Rishikesh, but I'd rather not talk about that). The walking was slightly tiresome, but it was more than worth it. There's a huge, yellow ghanta in the center and I love the simplicity. If you ever go, make sure to have enough water with you and to keep a rain coat with you if it rains (it can get quite cold, even in the summer, since you're at such a high altitude). If you're willing to walk a bit further, to Saptarshi Kund, you can see Champasar glacier, which is the origin of the Yamuna. However, I don't recommend doing so, since you could get lost easily. I would post pictures, if I can get them uploaded to my computer.

smaranam
29 November 2014, 12:42 AM
Namaste Jaskaran Singh

It is very cool that you have been to Yamunotri (and also Gangotri?)

I have been to BadrinAth -- one way ticket to Badrinath. Ended up living there for 15 days, and traveled to Kedarnath as well (2 day trip from Badrinath). Stayed at Gauri-kund overnight and walked up to Kedarnath.

JahAn BadriNArAyaN rahate hain, us dhAm ko vaikunTh kehete hai

However, most amazing was the VishNu-mandir at VishNu-prayAg - a few km down in the valley -- where all the magic of GhanashyAm began...

smaranam
29 November 2014, 01:02 AM
Just as Yamunotri is the ugam (origin) of river YamunA, and Gangotri is the origin (ugam) of GangA, the Saraswati ugam can be seen at BadrinAth, a little north from the main temple, at the village called MAnA, at the BhArat-China/Tibet border. It is in this area (MAnA, border) that one sees the VyAs GufA (cave where VedaVyAs wrote all purANs and Bramha sUtra), a few yards south of which is GaNesh gufA where Shri GaNesh wrote down as VyAsa dev dictated.

To the left of Saraswati ugam is the waterfall of the 8 Vasus. To the right is the bridge that Bheem built & Pandavas crossed during svarga-rohiNi (final exit) and where Draupadi fell into the waters.

smaranam
29 November 2014, 11:48 AM
However, most amazing was the VishNu-mandir at VishNu-prayAg - a few km down in the valley -- where all the magic of GhanashyAm began...

Hare KRshNa

PrayAg means confluence of rivers. On the way to the most auspicious and holy dhAm of BadrinAth, are several such holy prayAg (confluences).

prayAg <---------> rivers
Nanda-prayAg: alaknandA, nandAkinI
Dev-prayAg: alaknandA, bhAgeerathI
rUdra-prayAg: alaknandA, mandAkinI
vishNu-prayAg: alaknandA, pinDari-gangA

[EDIT] > The river alaknandA is the earthly manifestation of GangA that flows at the Lotuf Feet of Shri VishNu (which is the teertha - holy water with which Lord BramhA washed Shri VishNu's feet).
She remains therefore, at the Lotus Feet of BadrinArAyaN just below the footsteps of the BadrinAth Temple. This is the medium broad section of Ganga before it becomes the huge basin at Rushikesh)

[EDIT]> BhAgeerathI GangA is the portion of the waterfall (narrow) that comes down the mountains. When Bhageerath prayed (for decades) for the celestial GangA (AkAsh GangA that flows at BhagavAn VishNu's feet) to be brought to earth (to absolve sins of his ancestors), his wish was finally granted. The speed of the GangA from VaikunTha would have split the earth so Lord Shiva held her in His jaTA (matts) to reduce her pace.

> Badri is the fruit or tree that grows in the forest at the foothills of Himalayas. When VishNu came as Nar-NArAyaN Rshi and started performing penance here, to show the world the way, Lakshmi devi manifested as the Badri forest to provide shade and comfort.

Therefore, nAth (Lord) of Badri (who is LAkshmi).

> Pancha-ratna worshipped at BadrinAth dhAm (5 gems):
1) BadrinArAyaN -- NArAyaN svayam (Supreme Lord, in yogic bramhachAri mudra, LAkshmi is not with Him)
2) Nar Rshi
3) NArAyaN RshI
4) Uddhav
5) NArad muni (devaRshi, sage of the devas)

(GaruD - Lord's vahan is on the side, and at the entrance)

Lakshmi is svayambhU (self-manifested, not carved and sculpted by humans) and has a seperate little mandir in the same premises. She is not with the Lord in His bramhachAri form.

jai BadrivishAl BadrinArAyaN BadrinAth

Ram11
29 November 2014, 08:04 PM
Namaste Jaskaran Singh Ji,

To be honest,I learnt more about Sri Kedarnath after the previous year disaster.I hope the place returns to its full glory soon.Thanks.:)

Namaste Smaranam Ji,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Can we see the real Saraswati river?What is the Badri fruit?

smaranam
29 November 2014, 11:14 PM
Namaste Smaranam Ji,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Can we see the real Saraswati river?What is the Badri fruit?

Namaste

The Saraswati is visible today at its ugam (origin, source) only, as a narrow waterfall or a rapid. It feels very auspicious in Her sAnidhya (association) with faint fresh water droplets and mist being thrown towards you. There is a little Mandir (temple) of Saraswati Ma among those rocks.

However the actual river bed dried years ago as we know.

The Badri is a wild berry -- jujubee. Lakshmi Devi manifested as the Badri / Badari forest to give shade to Her Lord NArAyaN, hence known as Badri-vishAl (vast tree shade), and Her nAth is BadrinAth i.e. NArAyaN aka BadrinArAyaN in context.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya

Ram11
01 December 2014, 08:20 PM
Namaste Ji,

Thanks for the explanation.
My Vaishnava relatives have BadriNarayana Perumal's photo in their altar although they haven't visited Badri Kshetra.What the signifance of Sri Badrinath based on Vaishnava traditions?

smaranam
01 December 2014, 09:54 PM
What the signifance of Sri Badrinath based on Vaishnava traditions?

Namaste Ram

Significance
BadrinAth is NArAyaN. He lives in Badrivan to show mankind the austere path as Nar-NArAyaN Rshi. TapascharyA. To conquer and be the master of the mind, senses.

"Jahan BadrinArAyaN rahate hain, us dhAm ko vaikunTh kehete hain."
The abode in which BadrinArAyaN lives is called VaikunTh.

It is a moksha-sthAn. Place of liberation.

He calls devotees who have lost attachments with the world. Dhruv, Uddhav are examples. When Dhruv Maharaj performed tapascharyA (penance) at BadrinAth after fulfilling his duties as king, he was given Dhruva-pad -- the unmoving steady state. The pole star is Dhruva tArA, planet of Dhruva. It does not move, other constellations move around it.

At the time of Shri KRshNa's disappearance, Uddhav was 'losing it' when he realized that the Lord is leaving this earth. Therefore, KRshNa consoled him and explained a few things. Then the Lord asked Uddhav to go to BadrinAth and meditate.

It is said that in the winter months, when BadrinAth dhAm is shut down for all people including the temple pujaris (except the Indian army), Uddhavji performs the daily [nitya] pUjA for BadrinArAyaN. Adi ShankarAchArya did a lot to revive the place. Shankaracharya, MadhvAchArya and VallabhAchArya went to pay respects to and take blessings from VedaVyAs in his VyAs gufA (cave) -- each in their times.

You should go there some time. The temple bells start ringing a little before 4 am, and VishNusahasranAma is played. Then the abhishek.
In the evening you hear the melodious Aarati of BadrinArAyaN along with His pancha ratna :

pavana manda sugandha sheetala hema mandira shobhitam
nikat gangA beheta nirmal, shri badrinAtha vishwambaram...

-----
I shall make a seperate thread on BadrinAth-Kedarnath.

Ram11
02 December 2014, 05:57 AM
Namaste Smaranam Ji,

Thanks so much.Probably, this is why in this Kshetra we can see Sri Maha Vishnu in Yoga/Meditation posture.Alas,I stay in the south and I've never been to the Northern country.I do hope to visit many holy places.

Do temples in the north follow the Agamas?

smaranam
15 December 2014, 01:07 AM
Do temples in the north follow the Agamas?
Of course. North, South, East or West. The pancharAtriki paddhatI and the vaishNav-Agama pave the ground for building temples of VishNu, installing the Deity (prAN-prathishThA) and conducting worship (archanA, pUjA) of the archa-vigraha (Deity). They are the manuals.

Jai BadrivishAl (who bestowed causeless mercy on the King VishAl)

Ram11
15 December 2014, 05:40 AM
Of course. North, South, East or West. The pancharAtriki paddhatI and the vaishNav-Agama pave the ground for building temples of VishNu, installing the Deity (prAN-prathishThA) and conducting worship (archanA, pUjA) of the archa-vigraha (Deity). They are the manuals.

Jai BadrivishAl (who bestowed causeless mercy on the King VishAl)

Namaste Ji,

I thought that only in Tamil Nadu,Andhra Pradesh & Karnataka where the temples are associated with Sri Vaishnava Sampradaya they follow the Pancaratra Agama.One notable exception is the temple of Sri Venkateshwara in Tirumala Tirupati where the ancient Vaikhanasa Agama is followed.

I did read that Gaudiya Vaishnavas perform worship based on the Pancharatra System but in one place I read that Srila Prabhupada told his disciples to concentrate more on chanting the Maha Mantra rather than involving excessively in Agamic rituals.
Also,I feel that in the Northern country Bhakti and singing bhajans are stressed in contrast to the complex worship system which is the central aspect of religious activities in the south.

Are there any other Agamas for worship of Sriman Narayana?

May I know who is King Vishal?

smaranam
17 December 2014, 12:42 PM
Namaste

Are there any other Agamas for worship of Sriman Narayana?
Agama are classified as
1. Shaiva Agama
2. ShAkta Agama
3. VaishNav Agama
3.1 pancharAtra Agama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancharatra) (five-nights - shAstra explained by Lord VishNu to 5 Beings including NArad in 5 "nights")
3.2 vaikhanasha Agama (Lord Tirupati's worship follows this -- by Vaikhanasha brAmhaNas of the KRshNa Yajurved shAkhA (branch))

Although rooted deep into Ved-VedAnta, the pancharAtra is classified as Agama because of its extensive manual-like nature which explains a vast subject from worship methods, temples, to dharma, karma, philosophy, tattva (spiritual principals), Supreme as VAsudev (from which emerge chaturvyuha -- 4 whorls of Lotus : VAsudev, SankarshaN, Pradyumna, Aniruddha who later in Dwapar became Yadav family.)

The section of conversation between the Lord and DevaRshi NArad is the NArad PancharAtra -- from which GauDiya VaishNav have learned a lot in particular.

PancharAtra says VAsudev is what VedAnta calls Brahman' and jivas are parts-extensions of Shri, Lakshmi, hence in pure state will always reside by,beside and near NArAyaN (VAsudev). Thus, moksha means returning to your purest state in sAnidhya (proximity) of BhagavAn. At His Lotus Feet.

If you click on the title "3.1 PancharAtra Agama" above, the Wikipedia page explains some things and lists the saMhitAs contained in this Agama.

Yes, most VishNu temples, including ones built by GauDiya VaishNav are based on PancharAtra paddhati (Agama).

om namo bhagavae vAsudevAya ~

smaranam
17 December 2014, 12:55 PM
May I know who is King Vishal?

Here is the story from Varaha PurAN

There was a King called VishAl RAjA (king) who lost all kingdom in battle -- the other party cheated and looted him apparently. So he went to Badrivan where Lord BadrinAth was performing tapascharyA (penance) to show this way to the world.

VishAl RAjA started meditating / performing penance and Shri BadrinAth was pleased. Ask him what boon would you like?

VishAl Raja said "I want my kingdom back" to which BadrinAth (NArAyaN) did not encourage much saying "You are on the wrong path in the wrong place. People who come here only desire moksha (liberation from birth-death cycles)."
The king said "No, Lord, I want to rule. If you accept my prayers, please give me my kingdom back."

The Lord , although the Highest hitachintak (well-wisher), being very compassionate and kind-hearted fulfills the wish of whoever takes His shelter or approaches Him. He is so generous that He gives His name, appends the devotee's name to His and makes the devotee well-known.

Radha-KRshNa, Nara-NArAyaN. Similarly, this valley of BadrinAth DhAm came to be known as VishAlpuri , and the Lord adopted the name BadrivishAl.

As we know, anything BhagavAn does is well-thought out and has profound implications beyond the visible mundane. VishAl means large, magnanimous, large-hearted. There is no one more VishAl than the Lord Himself. So His dhAm is rightly called VishAlpuri, the vast land of the magnanimous.

Also, Lakshmi manifesting as the Badri forest gave "VishAl" shade (large ample shade) to Her meditating Lord through the spread-out branches of the Badri trees.

Jai BadrivishAl _/\_
Jai BadrinAth DhAm _/\_