PDA

View Full Version : mantra and pranayama

justin43
30 August 2014, 09:19 PM
Greetings Hindu Dharma forum goers, I have a question that's been plaguing me for a while now.
I find great joy in chanting mantras, but when I research them I am often told that they are to be chanted with specific breathing patterns. I've had a great feeling mala of Om Namashivaya and of Om Ganapataye Namaha using the pattern of just 1 regular inhale between each repetition. But I'm completely unaware of what the proper pranayama is for any mantra and would like to know where I can find this information. Any help would be greatly appreciated

silence_speaks
05 September 2014, 05:32 AM
Dear justin43 ji,
:)

Mantras are generally taken from a guru , and in that case, the guru should also convey if there is some pranayama that is supposed to be done.

If however you have chosen a mantra of your "Ishta Daivam" [your personal God] ... it would be of the form "OM" Namah sivaya etc. For all those mantras --- if you have chosen it yourself --- you can simply continue repeating it ... just repeating it, the breath would automatically fall in the right rhythm! ITs my practical experience that if you chant a mantra in the right tone, the pranayama happens automatically.

This is so for most practices. A Bhakta experiences khumbaka [retention of breath], but he does not try it - it happens due to the intensity of love. A Jnani also experiences Khumbaka ... as he abides as the Self ! That too is effortless, he does not try for it.

so one way : go to a guru and ask.
second: Just repeat the mantra in the (right intonation if there is one, if it is a simple mantra like om namah sivaya, just repeat)... the breath falls into place by itself.

Love!
Silence

Dilip
11 September 2014, 02:42 AM
Hare Krishna!

Dear Silence Speaks,

Wonderful ! Very nice !

Love,

Dilip.

LightofOm
16 September 2014, 05:32 PM
Namaste OP,

One should learn these techniques from the guru, however if you are wanting to just do it on your own there is an easy way to figure out how to breathe with the mantra. Each mantra has a certain cadence, just like a song or a dance. If you are musically inclined in the least bit you should easily be able to figure out the cadence of each mantra. With Om Namah Shivaya and Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha it is simple because, as you have stated already, it is just one deep breath in through the nose and then one long breath out through the mouth while reciting the mantra. However, for something longer like Gayatri mantra or Mahamritunjaya mantra there are more breaths in between. It is harder to figure out the breathing pattern for these longer mantras, but one can still figure it out with enough practice. The Vedic rishis of antiquity had a formula for breathing with Gayatri and other sacred mantras. I don't know that formula, but I do know that it is very scientific and the full effects of the mantra are felt when it is recited in this way. Still, I would try practicing on your own anyway. As long as the mindset is right and there are no offenses on your part, then the mantras will be effective. When in doubt, consult the guru; I cannot stress the importance of guru enough. Best wishes to you on your spiritual path!

Om Namah Shivaya

LightOfOm