PDA

View Full Version : Kali Yuga (Tamil) New Year Greetings

saidevo
13 April 2007, 08:45 PM
Namaste One and All.

I and my family members wish you all a very happy and prosperous Kali Yuga (Tamil) New Year 5108 that is known as the Sarvajit year! We do prArtanA that Bhagavan may give you his anugrahA for remaining in His grace and prosperity in this new year and the years to follow.

Incidentally, let us remember that the Kali Yuga date on this New Year Day is 01-01-5108 or Chi 01, 5108 KE (Kali Era) and use this date along with the date of the Comman Era in our day to day routine. The Bharatiya ItihAsA since the start of this Sveta VarAha Kalpa is 1,971,961,609 years old!

praNAmaH,
saidevo

Agnideva
13 April 2007, 10:34 PM
I and my family members wish you all a very happy and prosperous Kali Yuga (Tamil) New Year 5108 that is known as the Sarvajit year! We do prArtanA that Bhagavan may give you his anugrahA for remaining in His grace and prosperity in this new year and the years to follow.

Thank you Saidevo, wish you the same.

The Solar New Year day goes by many regional names: Mesha Sankranti, Vaishakhi (North India), Baisakhi (Punjab, Nepal, Pakistan), Poila Baisakh (Bengal, Bangladesh), Vishu (Kerala), Puthandu Pirappu (Tamilnadu, Malaysia), Bishuba Sankranti (Orissa), Cheiraoba (Manipur), Saura Yugadi (South India), Bohag/Rongali Bihu (Assam), Avuruddha (Sri Lanka), Thingyan (Myanmar), Pi Mai (Laos), Songkran (Thailand).

By whatever name you observe it, Happy Solar New Year.

OM Shanti,
A.

yajvan
14 April 2007, 11:30 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Thank you Saidevo, wish you the same.

The Solar New Year day goes by many regional names: Mesha Sankranti, Vaishakhi (North India), Baisakhi (Punjab, Nepal, Pakistan), Poila Baisakh (Bengal, Bangladesh), Vishu (Kerala), Puthandu Pirappu (Tamilnadu, Malaysia), Bishuba Sankranti (Orissa), Cheiraoba (Manipur), Saura Yugadi (South India), Bohag/Rongali Bihu (Assam), Avuruddha (Sri Lanka), Thingyan (Myanmar), Pi Mai (Laos), Songkran (Thailand).

Namaste AD,
What makes the solar new year ( that I susbscibe to) is Mesha ( sign of Aries) Sankranti , or solar transit. So , the new year is when Surya ( some call Ravi) enter's Mesha or the sign of Aries which is the 1st rasi or house of the Zodiac. It then journeys though the 12 signs owned by Aditi.

During the first 10 degrees of Aries, Surya is exalted... He most enjoys this postion in space/akasha. Surya is the karaka for Atman ( some call jiva or individual soul which is the spark of Atman or the Supreme Soul). This is a most excellent time for ones sadhana and spiritual pursuits as one gains favor from Surya, the one sung to in the Gayatri.

pranams,

Agnideva
14 April 2007, 09:19 PM
Namaskar Yajvan,

What makes the solar new year ( that I susbscibe to) is Mesha ( sign of Aries) Sankranti , or solar transit. So , the new year is when Surya ( some call Ravi) enter's Mesha or the sign of Aries which is the 1st rasi or house of the Zodiac. It then journeys though the 12 signs owned by Aditi.
Yes. All of the above names I listed are celebrations of Mesha Sankranti - Sun's entry into Mesha (Aries). Depending on what part one is from, the celebration is called by different names.

During the first 10 degrees of Aries, Surya is exalted... He most enjoys this postion in space/akasha. Surya is the karaka for Atman ( some call jiva or individual soul which is the spark of Atman or the Supreme Soul). This is a most excellent time for ones sadhana and spiritual pursuits as one gains favor from Surya, the one sung to in the Gayatri.Yes, I have heard this as well. Sun's entry into Mesha is considered very auspicious. Mesha is, of course, Aries, the ram. Another word for Mesha or ram is Aja. Interestingly, aja also means 'unborn'. Symbolically, after going through all 12 signs of the zodiac, the sun returns to his unborn state upon entry into Mesha. This is likely why this time is considered especially good for us to think about moksha (liberation), and for spiritual disciplines.

Regards,
A.