PDA

View Full Version : Three Bodies

ale84
07 September 2014, 12:51 PM
Hello, I'd like you to correct the following information if there's something wrong.

*Karana Sharira (Causal Body): It's not multiple but only one, and the cause of the other two bodies. It's equivalent to Ishvara.
*Sukshma/Linga Sharira (Subtle Body): It exists in the macrocosmic level as well as in the microcosmic level. At the macrocosmic level it's equivalent to Hiranyagharbha/Lord Brahma. At the microcosmic/individual level it carries the ego, mind and intellect which travel from lifetime to lifetime.
*Sthula Sharira (Gross Body): It's the physical body which can be perceived by the senses. It temporarily gets associated with the subtle body in order to work out it's karmas (and generate new ones for the unenlightened).

Thanks

devotee
13 September 2014, 02:06 AM
namaste ale,

Hello, I'd like you to correct the following information if there's something wrong.

*Karana Sharira (Causal Body): It's not multiple but only one, and the cause of the other two bodies. It's equivalent to Ishvara.
*Sukshma/Linga Sharira (Subtle Body): It exists in the macrocosmic level as well as in the microcosmic level. At the macrocosmic level it's equivalent to Hiranyagharbha/Lord Brahma. At the microcosmic/individual level it carries the ego, mind and intellect which travel from lifetime to lifetime.
*Sthula Sharira (Gross Body): It's the physical body which can be perceived by the senses. It temporarily gets associated with the subtle body in order to work out it's karmas (and generate new ones for the unenlightened).

There is a need for correction. :)

When we talk of Shariras (bodies) then we confine ourselves to individual bodies at microcosmic level. Therefore, all these Shariras are within us. Let's see how :

a) The first is "Sthula Sharira" or Gross body : This is the body made of flesh and bones etc. It is said that this is made of five principal elements : Earth, Water, Fire, Sky and Air. These elements are also known as "Panch MahabhUtas".

b) The second Sharira is Shukshma Sharira : This is made up of MAnas (mind which observes and records whatever happens and caries the gathered impressions), Intellect (which analyses a situation and takes decision) and Ahamkaar (the feeling of "i" which gives us a feeling of being different from others. This also owns up doership by the Jeeva). This doesn't die with destruction of body after death. The accumulated samskArs create various new opportunities and Jeeva goes into cycles of deaths and births.

c) KAraNa Sharira : This is not really another body body. This is the original seed which "started" all this prapanch. This is "Ignorance" or Mool Avidya i.e. individualised MAyA. This is the main reason behind arising of all bodies and all cycles. Destruction of this seed is important for getting freedom from the cycles of deaths and births. This is destroyed once Self-realisation takes place.

OM

ale84
13 September 2014, 07:37 AM
Hello, devotee

namaste ale,

There is a need for correction. :)

When we talk of Shariras (bodies) then we confine ourselves to individual bodies at microcosmic level. Therefore, all these Shariras are within us. Let's see how :

a) The first is "Sthula Sharira" or Gross body : This is the body made of flesh and bones etc. It is said that this is made of five principal elements : Earth, Water, Fire, Sky and Air. These elements are also known as "Panch MahabhUtas".

b) The second Sharira is Shukshma Sharira : This is made up of MAnas (mind which observes and records whatever happens and caries the gathered impressions), Intellect (which analyses a situation and takes decision) and Ahamkaar (the feeling of "i" which gives us a feeling of being different from others. This also owns up doership by the Jeeva). This doesn't die with destruction of body after death. The accumulated samskArs create various new opportunities and Jeeva goes into cycles of deaths and births.

c) KAraNa Sharira : This is not really another body body. This is the original seed which "started" all this prapanch. This is "Ignorance" or Mool Avidya i.e. individualised MAyA. This is the main reason behind arising of all bodies and all cycles. Destruction of this seed is important for getting freedom from the cycles of deaths and births. This is destroyed once Self-realisation takes place.

OM

Thanks for the correction. I was watching a series of videos of a vedanta teacher on youtube, and he equates Karana Sharira with Ishvara. Is it right?

devotee
13 September 2014, 09:19 AM
Namaste Ale,

Thanks for the correction. I was watching a series of videos of a vedanta teacher on youtube, and he equates Karana Sharira with Ishvara. Is it right?

See, Ishvara is the origin and end of all beings. But He cannot be called the Seed for the creation. The creation is by Prakriti with Ishvara acting as the Lord of Prakriti. So, in my opinion, even at Cosmic scale, Ishvara is not the cause of the universe. It is another thing that without having the support of Ishvara, Prakriti cannot do anything.

We are here talking of bodies i.e. individual bodies. The existence of Jeeva is due to "ignorance" as the seed. As long as this "avidya" is not destroyed Jeeva keeps going in cycles of births and deaths. So, in this case, it is better to say that "avidya" is the casual body.

However, that said, it depends upon how you view the terms. As Ishvara is the preraNa (providing power to act) behind Prakriti for the creation and also as Ishvara is the Lord of Prakriti, Ishvara is also called the Cause behind all the causes. Therefore, in that sense, Ishvara is the ultimate cause of everything that exists. So, may be, in that sense, Swami ji might have explained Ishvara as the causal body at Cosmic scale.

OM

ale84
13 September 2014, 11:57 AM
Hello, devotee

So, may be, in that sense, Swami ji might have explained Ishvara as the causal body at Cosmic scale.

Do you mean that causal body also exists at the individual level?

I read in some advaita sites that causal body exists only at cosmic level, so it's not that everybody has a causal body, but causal body is where the sense of "I" begins. So causal body is not something that gets reincarnated with the individual but it's the source of the ego.

Is this right?

devotee
13 September 2014, 10:51 PM
Namaste ale,

Do you mean that causal body also exists at the individual level?

MAyA at individual level is called "Avidya". If it is only at cosmic level then on Self-realisation of one person the cosmic MAyA will get destroyed and everyone will get enlightened. I also read some Advaitic students describing MAyA as the Causal body but in my opinion, this is fallacious due to the above reason. That is why I said, it depends upon how a person defines the word.

it's not that everybody has a causal body, but causal body is where the sense of "I" begins. So causal body is not something that gets reincarnated with the individual but it's the source of the ego.

Is this right?

That is perfectly right. Avidya gives rise to "i" which starts differentiating oneself from all others and starts owning the doership of actions, results of actions and starts enjoying the things or suffering from it.

OM