PDA

View Full Version : Good News meant for christians not Hindus!

satay
17 April 2007, 03:27 PM
"The SBC mission board later issued an apology which stated, in part: "The purpose of the Divali prayer guide was to help Southern Baptists understand and identify with Hindu people as we express our love for them in prayer...The language in the prayer guide was chosen to communicate to Southern Baptists, not Hindus, and the truths in it, as we understand them, are rooted in the Bible, the book we believe to be god's revealed word...It is distressing to us that elements of the guide may have offended our Hindu neighbours and for that we are profoundly sorry...We understand that the good news of God's saving love in Jesus, the Savior, may be offensive to some, but it never was our intention to express that love in an offensive way.''

http://www.religioustolerance.org/sbc_pray2.htm

satay
17 April 2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=8775

SBC Life Editor John Revell provided the following statement in response to the report:

"Southern Baptists have historically viewed biblical evangelism as a true act of love, not hatred. Paul said that God's love 'compelled' him to preach the Gospel (2 Corinthians 5:14). The articles by the International Mission Board referenced on our Web site reflect the Lord's love for the lost and Southern Baptists' desire, driven by love, to take the Good News of Jesus Christ to all people, including Hindus.

"The Bible also says that the Gospel is offensive to some. It has been our experience that no matter how loving we are in our presentation of the Gospel, some will be offended.

"Southern Baptists showed the depth of their love for the Hindu people following the tsunami that devastated portions of South and Southeast Asia in December 2004, contributing more than $17 million and countless volunteer man hours to relief efforts among them. The love that produced such a response is the same love that compels us to proclaim the Gospel."

satay
17 April 2007, 04:01 PM
I was just about to leave my driveway the other day when a couple of guys entered my property wearing black suits and a badge with the title 'jesus the saviour' and their names under the text.

"excuse me sir, how are you today"

"good, what's up?"

"sir, my name is xxxx (I forget...I am bad with names) We are from the xxx baptist church. we would like to sit down with you and share some good news"

"good news?" (a thought came to my mind...a good news would be if someone buys my house this evening) "hmmm...I am just about to leave..." "what is this about?"

"we are in your neighbourhood today and sharing the news of jesus our saviour"

I looked around and yes, he was right, there were about tweleve of them going house to house, knocking on doors...I thought to myself...this seems like a scene from a movie...then I recalled a bunch of people doing the same last year...but as I recall they were with a competing Gas company and wanted me to sign with their company.

"sir?"

"ah...yes, I know a bit about jesus, my wife is a christian so..."

"oh? she is? is she in the house? could we talk to her? do you know which church she attends?"

"hmm...not really, we are about to leave to go somewhere...we are expecting some buyers right now that will be visiting our house...so we have to leave...
ahh...she attends the church by the next corner there...something peter something...saint peter something...she is catholic...but is not really a regular church goer."

second person jumps in, "hi, my name is xxxx (I forget again...), do you mind me asking what you religion or belief you yourself practice?"

"no, I don't mind at all...I am a hindu!"

the second person looks away while answering..."oh"...I noticed that he was looking at the other men in black walking up and down the street...probably checking to see if anyone of them is talking to 'new customers'

first person, "sir do you know anyone in this neighbourhood that would be interested in talking to us"

"not really...most of the people living here are already christians...you might have better luck in another area of the city...hey look, I gotta go okay...good luck with the news..."

Then both men walked off my driveaway with a similar disappointment that the other Gas company salesmen had walked away with.

In the meantime, my wife was ready and was locking the house...my daughter ran to our car and the dog followed her...my wife saw the men in black on the street and asked..."what is this all about?"

"oh nothing...just people selling jesus"

I drove off and noticed a couple of vans parked on the main street obviously belonging to the salesmen in suits while the mp3 of my car played 'shiva strotram'

At the stop light, I wondered about what jesus must be thinking of his salesmen...then thought to myself...damn it...I was too passive...I should have said something like, "get the $!@% off my property"...then a thought came to my mind...."you are a hindu, moron!"

satay
17 April 2007, 04:05 PM
I am a Hindu and I choose to live in Darkness...

Exercising my free will...

pkmandir
13 May 2007, 09:55 PM
Good News Meant for all
Tamso ma jyotirgamaya
Lead me from darkness to light. This has been an ancient prayer written in Hindu Scriptures. Yes, many times, it is obvious that mankind chooses to live in dark nothing wrong with that, excercising the free will. However, I am reminded of a fish that swims under the Caverns of Olentangy, Olentagy caverns are really dark and lit by Electric Lamps. Under these caverns it is all dark. The fishes that live under this waters are blind and cannot see. The tour guide told me, if the fishes see the sunlight, they will die on the spot. There is a great message from this point. Before the incarnation of Lord Jesus Christ: Prophet Isaiah prophecied almost 700 years before His Birth in Isaiah 9:2-7 "People in darkness saw a great light". Now this light is for all. Thomas Edison invented the Electric Bulb. This electric bulb is precious commodity, which sometimes is overlooked. However, a person if he has opportunity to use the bulb and yet sit in the darkness, what a sorry state affairs. Again, life can be meaningfully well lived without an Electric Bulb, but, my life, I have experienced it this Good News is meant for everyone not for a religion but for all who would want to experience.

Unless, one steps out from his or her own circumstances, he or she will never be able to find the path of spiritual enlightenment. Living on dogmas does not illuminate a person.

However, if hinduism teaches that manushya janam is available after millions of cycles of rebirths, one should definitely make use of the existing janam instead of going back into the cycle of life. I

t is better to be unsure and then find out that you are sure, rather, than being sure and find out that the foundation of trust trusted was unsure.

satay
14 May 2007, 12:57 AM
Good News Meant for all

No, Shiysya Dave, your sentence is incomplete. The 'Good News' that is for sale is only 'Good' for the ones that buy it. Do you see the irony of 'Good News' that's for sale?

Tamso ma jyotirgamaya
Lead me from darkness to light. This has been an ancient prayer written in Hindu Scriptures.

Correct. Thousands of years before the peasants of modern day europe learnt how to read and write.

Yes, many times, it is obvious that mankind chooses to live in dark nothing wrong with that, excercising the free will. However, I am reminded of a fish that swims under the Caverns of Olentangy, Olentagy caverns are really dark and lit by Electric Lamps. Under these caverns it is all dark. The fishes that live under this waters are blind and cannot see. The tour guide told me, if the fishes see the sunlight, they will die on the spot. There is a great message from this point. Before the incarnation of Lord Jesus Christ: Prophet Isaiah prophecied almost 700 years before His Birth in Isaiah 9:2-7 "People in darkness saw a great light". Now this light is for all. Thomas Edison invented the Electric Bulb. This electric bulb is precious commodity, which sometimes is overlooked. However, a person if he has opportunity to use the bulb and yet sit in the darkness, what a sorry state affairs. Again, life can be meaningfully well lived without an Electric Bulb, but, my life, I have experienced it this Good News is meant for everyone not for a religion but for all who would want to experience.

Good for you Shisya Dave. Now, please allow us the dignity to experience the 'light' for ourselves, instead of selling us your electric bulb.

You see, I can never understand why the people who are selling us the new electric buld don't see the light that I am sitting in. Open your eyes shisya dave and you will see that others are living in light...the comment about 'I chose to live in darkness' was sarcasm but you are free to believe it if you would like.

What a sorry state that you claim to carry an electric bulb to light my house but you don't see that my house and heart is already lit up.

Unless, one steps out from his or her own circumstances, he or she will never be able to find the path of spiritual enlightenment. Living on dogmas does not illuminate a person.

Correct.

However, if hinduism teaches that manushya janam is available after millions of cycles of rebirths,

There is no if. Drop your dogma and try to use logic. Or at the very least at least try to understand the message of your own Guru.

one should definitely make use of the existing janam instead of going back into the cycle of life. I

t is better to be unsure and then find out that you are sure, rather, than being sure and find out that the foundation of trust trusted was unsure.

You are saying that you are unsure. That means that you have a doubt about the scriptures you believe in and in the teachings of your guru. hmm...fine by me, I am not surprised since your guru was murdered by his own. It is hard for me to understand the dichotomy and guilt that you guys live in.

sm78
14 May 2007, 01:21 AM
The most amazing thing about evangelists is how they self-defeat their own logic through actions. We have some of them speaking of the dangers of giving a "crutch to the Ego", yet all displaying ego and arrogance through this act.

The concept that "Man is free from the consequences of his Action" is a dangerous one indeed...there is no hope for such beings, unless they realize for themselves what folly they have engaged themselves into in the name of God. Realization is not difficult, normal human conscience of person in search of Truth, will not allow the person to hold beliefs about things he never experienced.

saidevo
14 May 2007, 01:48 AM
Now this light is for all. Thomas Edison invented the Electric Bulb. This electric bulb is precious commodity, which sometimes is overlooked.

As a Hindu I am more spiritually interested in the lamp in my puja room and our temples that is burning on sesame oil from time immemorial. Unlike a candle or the Edison's lamp, it does not ensnare poor and ignorant moth and burn them spiritually. The fumes of sesame oil also keeps away Satan, the serpent.

Before the incarnation of Lord Jesus Christ: Prophet Isaiah prophecied almost 700 years before His Birth in Isaiah 9:2-7 "People in darkness saw a great light". Now this light is for all.

The Bhavishya Purana, one of the major 18 Hindu Puranas, is an ancient text authored by Sri Vyasa Muni, the compiler of the Vedic texts. It predicted even before the start of Kali Yuga about the history in the Old Testament of the Bible. The true light will come only at the end of this Kali Yuga when Sri Krishna takes the Kalki avatar. Until such time, humanity is destined to be divided by the deluded hopes of lights that offer no real self-realization.

I am a Hindu and I choose to live in Darkness...

I understand the sarcasm behind your words, but we Hindus don't live in darkness, only close our eyes to the adharma around us either with the resigned thought that it is all Ishvar Lila, or with the hope that He would take care of it.

Closing our eyes, we pray for guidance, from the tamas (darkness) to the jyoti of our Self; from the asat (unreality) of our senses to the sat (the absolute reality); from the mRuta (death) ridden births to the amRuta (nectar) of eternal life, by the death of our mind and realisation of the Self.

satay
14 May 2007, 01:51 AM
"The language in the prayer guide was chosen to communicate to Southern Baptists, not Hindus, and the truths in it, as we understand them, are rooted in the Bible, the book we believe to be god's revealed word...
http://www.religioustolerance.org/sbc_pray2.htm

Okay, let's see what your Bible says about God...

Genesis
6:11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

6:12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.

6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Wow! God was so angry that the earth was filled with violence that he killed
every living thing to make the world less violent!!

What logic and what Good News!!

:D

sm78
14 May 2007, 01:55 AM
Yes, many times, it is obvious that mankind chooses to live in dark nothing wrong with that, excercising the free will. However, I am reminded of a fish that swims under the Caverns of Olentangy, Olentagy caverns are really dark and lit by Electric Lamps. Under these caverns it is all dark. The fishes that live under this waters are blind and cannot see. The tour guide told me, if the fishes see the sunlight, they will die on the spot. ... Thomas Edison invented the Electric Bulb. This electric bulb is precious commodity, which sometimes is overlooked. However, a person if he has opportunity to use the bulb and yet sit in the darkness, what a sorry state affairs.
ahem..True

Again, life can be meaningfully well lived without an Electric Bulb...
ahem...True again!!

Very very True!!!

I just fail to understand, why u fail to see this excellent points in your life.

However, if hinduism teaches that manushya janam is available after millions of cycles of rebirths, one should definitely make use of the existing janam instead of going back into the cycle of life.

Actually, Hinduism wants us to waste no time as manushya janma is so precious.

It is better to be unsure and then find out that you are sure, rather, than being sure and find out that the foundation of trust trusted was unsure.

Exactly...and unlike Christianity, in Hinduism the truth reveals to the qualified seeker in his very earthly life. God has revealed himself in many forms from Ages beyond the pale of History, and he still does!! You don't have to die expecting to taken into a heaven...you can walk beside the Lord in this very life.

So Hinduism does lends itself to valid "proof" for the valid seeker. Why not try and see for yourself rather leading others into what could be a false hope and a wasted manushya janma ??

I don't get why each of your point is correct, but you still don;t get the message...moha, ego and karma perhaps. And per haves actions weigh infinitly more than words.

sm78
14 May 2007, 02:01 AM
Wow! God was so angry that the earth was filled with violence that he killed
every living thing to make the world less violent!!

What logic and what Good News!!

:D

No wonder the Logic of their God found way in as an effective action in their civilization.

Domination and destruction is indeed the "God;s" way whose manifestation we have seen throughout the whole of Christian era untill now.

sm78
14 May 2007, 02:03 AM
Like communism, fascism and all other false beliefs, justice is done by studying the dogma which creates the evangelists. I had some study of the Koranic Dogma, but didn;t study bible much...sounds like it can be as much fun.

If only people were educated enouf, we wouldn't see these dogmas ruling the world...but this yuga is about darkness and we have to live through it.