PDA

View Full Version : Yoga Paths

Mystical Soul
26 October 2014, 09:10 AM
Hello All
Can someone tell me how or if the yoga paths are linked to the eight limbs? I mean for instance asanas are part of the 8 limbs. So are they also part of the paths? Or is that an entirely different matter? I know what the paths are and the limbs just not sure how they relate or if they do.

I hesitated to ask this because I figured it sounded strange but then if I never ask I'll never learn.

Thank you in advance
Om Namah Shivaya
ஓம் நமசிவாய

brahma jijnasa
30 October 2014, 01:46 AM
Namaste Mystical Soul

There is one type of yoga called eightfold yoga system, the so-called ashtanga yoga. It is called so because it is composed of eight parts (ashta -- eight; anga -- parts). Other types of yoga do not necessarily have anything to do with it. Here I stress "not necessarily". ;)
Some types of yoga that are similar in nature to the ashtanga yoga may have some similarities and correspondence with it in some elements, but there are also such kind of yogas that are not of the same type and have no correlation with ashtanga yoga.

regards

Mystical Soul
01 November 2014, 07:16 AM
Namaste Mystical Soul

There is one type of yoga called eightfold yoga system, the so-called ashtanga yoga. It is called so because it is composed of eight parts (ashta -- eight; anga -- parts). Other types of yoga do not necessarily have anything to do with it. Here I stress "not necessarily". ;)
Some types of yoga that are similar in nature to the ashtanga yoga may have some similarities and correspondence with it in some elements, but there are also such kind of yogas that are not of the same type and have no correlation with ashtanga yoga.
regards
Dear brahma jijnasa,
Thank you for your answer. The 8 limbs to which I refer are: Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharma, Dhyna, and Samadhi. So then these 8 limbs are what compose Ashtanga?
Thank you
AUM and Peace

brahma jijnasa
03 November 2014, 06:35 AM
Namaste

Dear brahma jijnasa,
Thank you for your answer. The 8 limbs to which I refer are: Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharma, Dhyna, and Samadhi. So then these 8 limbs are what compose Ashtanga?
Thank you
AUM and Peace

Yes, that's what compose Ashtanga yoga (Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharana, Dhyana, Samadhi), but there are more than one yoga to be called "Ashtanga".
See at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtanga_vinyasa_yoga and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C4%81ja_yoga

regards