PDA

View Full Version : Really Giving Thanks

Webimpulse
02 December 2014, 07:32 PM
Namaste HDF,

I have a question that I hope is simple to answer: how does one give thanks to the God(s) of Sanatana Dharma?

I finally have a new job, one I'm actually enjoying so far, and I feel I have to at least give Shri Ganesha some credit. :) Please keep in mind I don't have any puja materials, and my shrine to Ganesha is exceedingly simple. But I'm sure there's some way to get Shri Ganesha to hear my gratitude to Him...

Anyone have any input on how to do this?

Amrut
03 December 2014, 02:06 AM
Namaste HDF,

I have a question that I hope is simple to answer: how does one give thanks to the God(s) of Sanatana Dharma?

I finally have a new job, one I'm actually enjoying so far, and I feel I have to at least give Shri Ganesha some credit. :) Please keep in mind I don't have any puja materials, and my shrine to Ganesha is exceedingly simple. But I'm sure there's some way to get Shri Ganesha to hear my gratitude to Him...

Anyone have any input on how to do this?

Namaste WI ji,

'Thanks' does not have to be in a particular format. There is no fixed procedure, as it is a matter of the heart and heart knows no step-by-step procedure.

The joy and satisfaction of getting a job, a smile on your face is what matters to Shri Ganesha. Pray in your mother tongue to Shri Ganesha whatever comes from your heart. 'Thank' him like you thank any person that has helped you.

If you wish to offer some durva grass or any fruit(s) to the Lord, please do it with enthusiasm. Serve him happily with contentment. It is the emotion that matters.

If there is a nearby temple, you may visit it and offer some fruits.

Mentally offering fruits and flowers is very effective. All you need to do is to gaze at Ganesha for some time. Imprint his image in your mind. Mentally visualize him at a close distance like you see in your home shrine. Visualize fruits or even flowers like rose, mogra, whatever you may like coming from your heart (centre of chest) and into your hands. Offer them to Lord Ganesha.

If you cannot visualize them originating in your heart, simply visualize them in your hand or coming out of your body from top of head, and are being offered to Lord Ganesha.

If you may wish, please chant his mantra a few times, 9 or 51 or 108 times. Pray to him, plead to him, request him to accept them.

Mentally prostate in front of him and offer your whole body to him, your mind and your ego. Repeat prostrations a few times with offering your mind, body and ego.

You will immediately feel light if you do it sincerely.

Hint for those who can sense chakra-s: Chakra is also a flower :), but you cant pluck them out of you and offer them ;) :D

(If you do not feel chakra-s, please do not try anything weird. It is not good to play with them)

OM

Viraja
03 December 2014, 01:18 PM
Namaste Web,

You could offer an archana on god's name at the temple, to Sri Ganesha.

If you were in India, I would have told you to pay people who can prepare modak for you, and then to distribute at the temple. Alternatively, you can prepare some simple dish such as the 'Black chickpea Sundal' and keep those and some bananas as prasad at the temple.

At home, whenever time permits, you can prepare 'Panchamirta (http://www.awesomecuisine.com/recipes/9783/panchamirtam.html)' (made of a mix of bananas, honey, ghee, dates, jaggery, grapes, apples) and offer it to Sri Ganesha at home (along with some betal leaves if those are available in the Indian grocery stores next to you)!

Just a few ideas I could think of!

Regards.

Eastern Mind
03 December 2014, 01:21 PM
Vannakkam: One of the easiest ways is to make a donation, ... to a temple, to a charity, to an educational institution that brought you the knowledge of Hinduism. That with a mental heart-felt thank you. In personal life, a card, a heart to heart thank you but with specifics does a lot.

Aum Namasivaya

markandeya 108 dasa
03 December 2014, 01:55 PM
Pranams,

All of the above answers are good and are in shastra, but the main offering is yourself and the commitment to keep practicing with the sincerity you already have.

Ys

Md

Ram11
03 December 2014, 08:36 PM
Namaste HDF,

I finally have a new job, one I'm actually enjoying so far.

Namaste Webimpulse Ji,

Congratulations!!:)

Anima Deorum
17 December 2014, 05:07 PM
Namaste Webimpulse,

I'm happy things are going well.

Your love is the best gift to give the Lord.

Hari Om