PDA

View Full Version : "Sri Gayatri Mantra" for Meditation.

charles
11 January 2015, 06:17 AM
Dear all,

I am new to Hindu meditation and mantra chanting. I am chanting since three months.

Recently while i chanting "Sri Gayatri Mantra" morning at 5.00 clock with Rudraksha japa mala wore and another in hand to count, after 20 minutes of chanting i start feel pain in left and right extreme side of my forehead.

I count only 54 times. I sit erect calm after my bath for chanting.

Am I mistaking in procedure for chanting or
is there any best procedure for it or
this sort of pain is normal and usual during chanting?

May I know if there is such. Advance thanks for your kind help and advise.

Regards,
Charles

Kalicharan Tuvij
15 January 2015, 11:08 AM
Dear all,

I am new to Hindu meditation and mantra chanting. I am chanting since three months.

Recently while i chanting "Sri Gayatri Mantra" morning at 5.00 clock with Rudraksha japa mala wore and another in hand to count, after 20 minutes of chanting i start feel pain in left and right extreme side of my forehead.

Regards,
Charles
Namaste Charles,

Lack of guidance is a bit of problem, but as we know we lack the support system - that is the case even in India what to speak of outside.

As a simple and effective solution, before the start of the Japa do one round of Hanuman Chalisa and repeat it again after the end of the Japa of Gayatri Mantra.

As you see, Gayatri Mantra is arguably the loftiest mantra in Hinduism. Its significance and discovery in all layers still seems centuries behind. All in all, this mantra sits right there at the top.

Without guidance, even with strong will, it is still near impossible to continue due to karmic load. Inadvertent shake-ups cause problems.

However, with Hanuman Chalisa one can make the base stronger to receive the "communication" from the "above" without any "overload". Reciting the Chalisa again at the end is also recommended here, so that what is gained is also retained.

You may even find yourself on multiple occasions dropping the Gayatri Mantra itself from the routine and continuing with the Hanuman Chalisa alone. (Btw, consider Hanuman as the "All in All").

Best of luck on your journey.

c.smith
17 January 2015, 04:25 PM
Hari Om!

So delighted that the Hanuman Chalisa was mentioned above and I second from personal experience that it is a powerful aid. Please don't overlook this.

Also something to consider is taking some time before japa to do some light yoga asanas, perhaps for only 10 minutes or so, followed by pranayam for a short while. This is not to complicate your practices but rather to ease you into them and help center the mind and body for a successful japa session.

All the best my friend.

Om

Amrut
29 January 2015, 01:35 AM
Dear all,

Regards,
Charles

Namaste,

There should not be any pain while you are chanting a mantra. When thoughts distract you, do you use force to get rid of them?

Please decrease the time period.

Also do some breathing exercises like equal inhalation, equal exhalation for 3-5 minutes before you begin meditation.

If your pain is shifting from one side of head to another, it is because of negative energy shifting it's place. It is a temporary phase. Pray to God to take away all negativity and cleanse your head.

Always start meditation with prayer to God to guide you throughout the meditation. Always end meditation (japa) with a 'Thank you' to God for guiding you and pray to keep guiding you through meditation. This should help you a lot.

Some prefer to do physical exercises for 15-20 minutes before sitting in meditation or listen to the Gayatri mantra or any devotional song for 10-15 minutes and then sit in meditation.

Another question is do you rush in meditation i.e. chant mantra very fast. Chant a little slowly with gap (silence) between two mantras. Feel the silence. Relax the body. If you cant sit with erect spine, take support of a pillow or rest your back to the wall.

Hari OM

silence_speaks
29 January 2015, 06:04 AM
Dear Charles ji,
:) One should "Relax" during meditation ... and naturally resolve into Silence .... one should not be trying too hard.

Do you see the difference between concentration and relaxation ? Relax into the moment. Here and now. That is meditation. In that, there is no trying .... mind is automatically with the mantra, because it has no where else to go and if it goes elsewhere, you are not so much bothered :) --- simply bring it back.

Love!
Silence

Kalicharan Tuvij
02 February 2015, 06:15 AM
Namaste.

I couldn't agree more with what Amrut and C.Smith have said in addition.

AFAIK, the full range of any sAdhana - be it a Puja or a Yagya or Sankirtan and so on - is exemplified by the system of [Mantra-Yantra-Tantra] something that I suspect very few people in this age possess total grasp at.

I too can only just show the direction here. For example, the Gayatri belongs to the Mantra domain. One still needs to bring it to the Tantra level. The connecting link between the two is Yantra.

Hanuman Chalisa takes both Yantra and Tantra into account. What other posters have suggested here - from prANAyAma to exercise etc - contain the apt suggestion.

P.S.:
BTW, [Mantra-Yantra-Tantra] has a much larger application. For example, "mantri" (minister in a government) word comes directly from "Mantra" word.

Ashish_Marathe
04 September 2015, 08:23 PM
Namaste Charles,

Why do you need to count? Instead, sit comfortably, close your eyes, forget the world, chant the mantra mentally and enjoy the process. Set an alarm if you are too concerned about time.

Try it. I'm sure, you'll love it.

Suhita
08 September 2015, 07:59 AM
Namastey Charles,

Good to see your Bhakti for chanting Gayatri Mantra. Gayatri Mantra combines the effects of mantric sound with effect of deep prayer. See to it that if you are using Japa mala for chanting mantras then check if your mala has Gauri Shankar Rudraksha.
Let it be any mantra the proper method for chanting is: very first:
1. repetition of mantra must be slow. Soft recitation is more effective.
2. The Japa or Rudraksha Mala must be handled only by the forepart of the fingers.
3. while counting mantras the mala should not touch the ground.
4. See to it that the thumb and index finger is used.
5. revolve the rosary with thumb, middle and ring finger for peace.
6. sit erect in any yogic posture preferably Padmasana.
To know more on Method Of Japa refer: http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/method-of-japa_477.html5Namastey Charles,