PDA

View Full Version : Wish everyone a very happy Makar Sankaranti 2015

Viraja
13 January 2015, 05:10 PM
Namaste HDF,

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t34.0-12/s480x480/10912586_10153050094919759_1705022132_n.jpg?oh=5bdac8ec0628690d79b556f59e82f9b4&oe=54B7C2AC&__gda__=1421355615_d978b80a585e42b4eff2593cda67fdd4

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
13 January 2015, 05:41 PM
Vannakkam, and thank you,

I too wish everyone a joyous celebration, whatever you call it. :) Here it is Thai Pongal, or just Pongal, and we celebrate it together at the temple. Some years it has been extremely cold, as low as -40 C, but this year its hovering around 0 C, so those of us in veshtis will manage to stay outside to tend or watch the pot a little longer.

Aum Namasivaya

smaranam
13 January 2015, 05:55 PM
Thank You VirajAji and Eastern Mind ji.
May everyone have a wonderful and premamay Makar SankrAntI - full of loving exchanges for the whole year and more.

tiLguL ghyA ANi gode gode bolA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti#mediaviewer/File:Tilgul_kha_god_god_bola.jpg

AmchA tiLguL sAnDu nakA
AmchyAshi bhAnDu nakA

(Please partake of this sweet made of sesame seeds that keep you auspiciously warm this winter. Do not spill any of it, honour it, and do not fight with "us") :)

This tiLguL is a symbol of Love, Universal Love, or at least for everyone we come across.

SankrAnt celebrates Winter Solstice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti#mediaviewer/File:Earth-lighting-winter-solstice_EN.png)
Associated with / celebrated by people getting together as a community (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti#mediaviewer/File:Kite_flying_in_Varanasi.jpg) for kite flying (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti#mediaviewer/File:BangladeshoGhuri.JPG) (typically in GujarAth and North India)

mAkhan doongi re sAwariyA thoDi bansi to bajAy, mAkhan doongi re...
(sorry but I am going to keep singing that for a week whether you like it or not)

Viraja
13 January 2015, 06:57 PM
Some years it has been extremely cold, as low as -40 C, but this year its hovering around 0 C, so those of us in veshtis will manage to stay outside to tend or watch the pot a little longer.

'Warm' wishes for Pongal then, EM ji! ;)

Viraja
13 January 2015, 07:01 PM
tiLguL ghyA ANi gode gode bolA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti#mediaviewer/File:Tilgul_kha_god_god_bola.jpg

AmchA tiLguL sAnDu nakA
AmchyAshi bhAnDu nakA

(Please partake of this sweet made of sesame seeds that keep you auspiciously warm this winter. Do not spill any of it, honour it, and do not fight with "us") :)

This tiLguL is a symbol of Love, Universal Love, or at least for everyone we come across.

Dear Smaranam ji,

As Tamilians, we celebrate by making salt-pongal, sweet-pongal, vada and offer these to Sun god along with coconuts (or its water atleast...). And then on 'Kanu pongal' day (16th Jan 2015), we would offer red colored rice, yellow colored rice, tamarind rice, curd rice to the crows and girls would pray for the well-being of their brothers on this day. The next day would be the 'tourist day' (called 'KaaNum pongal') when everyone would go places with their neighbors.

It is interesting to know sesame laddus are prepared in the North on Makar Sankaranthi!

Ram11
13 January 2015, 07:04 PM
Namaste Viraja Ji,
Thank you :).

I wish all members a very Happy Sankranti.

Believer
13 January 2015, 07:09 PM
Namaste,

Happy Lohri and happy Makkar Sakranti/Pongal.
Gujratis and Punjabis, be safe with flying kites on Sakranti. :)

Pranam.

smaranam
13 January 2015, 11:10 PM
It is interesting to know sesame laddus are prepared in the North on Makar Sankaranthi!

This is tradition in Maharashtra. They are not only prepared but shared and exchanged between extended family, neighbors, friends, visitors, colleagues... (Each home/cook has their own variation of the taste so it gets interesting). Originally it was meant as a blessing given by the elders to the younger ones, but tiLguL (tiL + guL) is also exchanged and shared in general. The flat oval sweet (hard candy) made with sesame and sugar instead of guD (jaggery) is called revadi and you will find that more in the stores than home-made versions. The home-made special is usually tiLguL ladoo and tiLguL vaDi (squares).

If anyone wants to experiment with revaDi try adding a pinch of rose essence (just made that up one day - not a standard).

Apparently each region has their own cultural special but the common thread is Makar SankrAnti. It was good to know the TamiL tradition. I love the rice series associated with festivals and holy days -- sweet, tamarind, lemon, pongal... and the muruku variations. Actually I like most of the cuisine from South India (veg of course) except for the spicy avials and stuff :)

muralI ki dhuna suna mana rama jAy, mAkhan doongi re ~ :)

Viraja
14 January 2015, 07:23 AM
Thank you for letting us all know about the tilgul tradition in the North for Makar Sankaranthi, Smaranam ji! (We in TN, prepare such laddoos and distribute them for Karthigai Deepam festival).

Thank you Ram ji, Believer ji for warm wishes (to everyone). Wish you a wonderful Makar Sankaranti!

Soul of Light
14 January 2015, 08:01 AM
Thank you and happy makar sankranti to all from me also, have a joyful sankrant/pongal....

This is tradition in Maharashtra. They are not only prepared but shared and exchanged between extended family, neighbors, friends, visitors, colleagues... (Each home/cook has their own variation of the taste so it gets interesting). Originally it was meant as a blessing given by the elders to the younger ones, but tiLguL (tiL + guL) is also exchanged and shared in general. The flat oval sweet (hard candy) made with sesame and sugar instead of guD (jaggery) is called revadi and you will find that more in the stores than home-made versions. The home-made special is usually tiLguL ladoo and tiLguL vaDi (squares).

If anyone wants to experiment with revaDi try adding a pinch of rose essence (just made that up one day - not a standard).

Apparently each region has their own cultural special but the common thread is Makar SankrAnti. It was good to know the TamiL tradition. I love the rice series associated with festivals and holy days -- sweet, tamarind, lemon, pongal... and the muruku variations. Actually I like most of the cuisine from South India (veg of course) except for the spicy avials and stuff :)

muralI ki dhuna suna mana rama jAy, mAkhan doongi re ~ :)
I am from Maharashtra and the tradition is exactly as mention by smaranam ji....
Nice 2 hear that u know much more abt this tradition in Maharashtra, also nice 2 hear how sankranti is celebrated in other states....