PDA

View Full Version : Where in India to live?

deafAncient
09 March 2015, 11:37 PM
Sigh...

Namaste to all,

The more I study SD and the Indic culture, the more I realize that I may have to have a bugout plan, meaning where do I go when American falls, and the more I realize that I don't fit within this kind of society as I gain more knowledge of how far behind my own society is.

If I were to immigrate to India, where would I go, and why? Please provide details about the region you recommend, if you live there. I would probably prefer the southern region, mainly for weather reasons.

I NEVER thought I would be asking these questions, but it is what it is.

Ram11
10 March 2015, 12:06 AM
Sigh...

Namaste to all,

The more I study SD and the Indic culture, the more I realize that I may have to have a bugout plan, meaning where do I go when American falls, and the more I realize that I don't fit within this kind of society as I gain more knowledge of how far behind my own society is.

If I were to immigrate to India, where would I go, and why? Please provide details about the region you recommend, if you live there. I would probably prefer the southern region, mainly for weather reasons.

I NEVER thought I would be asking these questions, but it is what it is.

Namaste Ji,

I always think about this but due to modern day constraints I stay in a city.:(

I do not know much about you but I will say a few words based on my feelings.

My elders said that in the past a person's life,a King's life,a region's life would revolve around a temple.Everything,everybody was associated with a temple.

My ideal home would be in a temple town.I like huge,ancient temples with great architecture and long history.In such temples one can to sit anywhere and meditate.It would be very good to visit such temples daily.It is a calming,healing and recharging center.

Also,it would be in the Southern states of Tamil Nadu,Andhra or Karnataka because although I have never studied the Vedas myself I like them very much.I read in an article that Brahmins in most places in India have lost the proper swaras(tones) for chanting the Vedas(due to invasions etc.) but the Southerners have been able to preserve.In most Southern temples one can still see a Guru teaching Sishyas(students) the Veda,there are mandapas(halls) for doing Chaturveda Adhyayana/Parayana(Study).One can't adequately describe the beauty of the Vedas.

In temples,wise Pandithas(scholars) often give Dharmic discourses, enlighten people and guide them.One could listen to morals stories from Puranas,Itihasas,Dharmas Shastras etc.

There are elaborate rituals conducted through out the year and one can participate in them by contributing some flowers or items or some simple service or just visit.So many festivals are there and life is very colorful.:)

Webimpulse
10 March 2015, 02:05 AM
Post deleted, with my apologies.

smaranam
10 March 2015, 02:51 AM
Dear WebImpulse, Please do not be upset.

It is nice that both of you see the beauty of Hinduism or SanAtana Dharma. However, this is not what it teaches.

As I said earlier, the Sat-Chit-Ananda is VAsudeva, is everywhere and we have to find Him (or Her) or even it for those who prefer it irrespective of where we are. Then the surroundings will bloom for ourselves and others irrespective of the geographical location.

EkAnta - solitary bliss of VAsudeva

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ep4Y16cWeg)

Believer
10 March 2015, 03:09 AM
Namaste,

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India is one option.

It is located midway between the Northern and Southern national boundaries, has relatively temperate climate and has quite a few mandirs. Travel time to other parts of the country would be less than if one was located in one corner of the country. Linguistically, you would have Hindi speaking people around you where you can pick up the national language. In some of the other states, learning the local language will enable you to converse with only the people of that state.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=map+of+indore%2c+india&id=A0D42D88541C4CA374676331A132A99FBA14FC89&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=588536C9FC35C2ED6A34C09A910542B2C066E25F&selectedIndex=6

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=45724

http://www.ixigo.com/temples-in-indore-lp-1145304

With everything said, I have not personally been there, so take the information for what it is worth.

Pranam.

PS, Another city, Nagpur is right smack in the center of the country.

deafAncient
10 March 2015, 07:19 AM
Namaste DeafAncient,

At least you have the ability and option to move to India and change your citizenship. Just think about all the poor people of America who also want to move out for the reasons you say, but can't, due to socioeconomic reasons.

Like me for instance. I don't have the money to travel to India, let alone move there. And trust me, I have wanted to move out on several occasions through my 31-year life. Sure, I may be white but that doesn't mean I'm rich. Also consider my medical issues that also inhibit my ability to live abroad. (And no, I'm not saying America has great medical care, what I am saying is that my medical issues contribute to me being stuck.)

Do I deserve to suffer like you say, simply because of the nation I was born in? (Which I had no choice in the matter, by the way.) Are you saying it's karma? That I have to share the same fate as the worst my country has produced, just by my association that I had no choice in?

Oh, maybe I had done something in my past life to justify this. I don't care. I want out and I'm not getting it. Don't tell me I deserve it.

Next time think about that when you move out. If you were really so righteous, you'd offer to take people with you.

Be careful about jumping to conclusions about statements people make. What you just now did in your post might be why you you are stuck here as a white person. Or maybe it just happened that way. You ended up with a defective body. I did, too. I am born-deaf, and I had to have cataract surgery, and I'm not even 50 yet... I live inside the bible belt, and I'm just FED UP with how shandha people are treated in this region. Some towns have NO GROCERY STORES and TWO CHURCHES. Completely misplaced priorities.

I did not say that you or other people deserve to suffer. What I DID say is that I am not happy with the way people here behave and how society functions with a "wood-burning" mindset instead of a "growing-and-making-garlands" mindset.

Who said anything about offering to take people with me? I have maybe $8,000 in total life savings, live in a travel trailer, have no family of my own, and no viable job skills to speak of in a trade skills or village setting. I'm in the bottom "castes" of American society.

What is another solution that doesn't require leaving America? My problem is, I'm an Ancient, and the closest I can come to beliefs is someone Sanātani without a personal god. In the circles I run in, there's no one who is Sanātani. I know one who claims to be Sanātani, "loves Advaita Vedanta," but has no idea what it really entails, others are not "religious, but spiritual," and the rest are Christians, some out to get me and some not. Sanātanis are rare where I live, and they are mainly from overseas or first-generation born to immigrants.

Barring immigration to India, I sure would like to find out where American traditional Sanātanis are.

saswathy
10 March 2015, 07:41 AM
dear friend , ,
you can think of a city like Bangalore ,. where there is cosmopolitan culture along with quite a few religious places near by. You can do a job and fend for your self .It is very easy to find a congenial atmosphere, whether food wise or language wise or accommodation wise. Weekends you can travel to nearby religious places.

Eastern Mind
10 March 2015, 07:54 AM
Vannakkam Deafanciant:

I appreciate the idea of moving to India, and have considered it myself. However, in practical terms moving countries isn't all that easy. I would highly recommend the India travel forum Indiamike as a resource.

Yes there are ways, like marrying an Indian citizen. But far more normally are things like student visas, or continually renewing visiting visas. To renew a 6 month visa, you have to do it from outside the country, so many who 'live' there go to Sri Lanka or Nepal for a week, every six months. and have to stay for a week. Illegal aliens atre tossed in jail, and that's something you don't want.

I'm not sure how the idea of just moving countries so easily comes up. Even between Canada and the US, considered great allies, it is some challenge.

Best wishes in any decisions in this regard.

Aum namasivaya

Ram11
10 March 2015, 09:03 AM
Namaste Ji,

Senior members have given a lot of valuable advice ,I suggest that you think about it.

I would like to add to what Smaranam Ji said.

This is one among my favorite sayings of the 12th century Vira Shaiva Saint Sri Basaveshwara:

Basavanna says:

The wealthy build temples of Lord Shiva,

What can I, a poor person, do?

My legs are pillars,

My body itself is the temple,

My head is the golden cupola,

Hear me O,Lord Kudalasangama

The static has an end

But the dynamic has none.

*Koodalasangama Deva-The Lord of meeting rivers (an epithet of Lord Shiva)

The rich can build temples. What can I, a poor person, do?
But I build a different kind of temple.
My body itself is the shrine, with legs as pillars and head as the golden tower.
A temple that is built is stationary.
But my body moves. It is with me wherever I go. That is why it does not perish.
What is made of matter perishes.
The soul, the spiritual, is everlasting.
That this body itself should be made a holy shrine is a message of immense value. We should be able to see God in this temple of our body.

Believer
10 March 2015, 02:17 PM
Namaste,

I appreciate the idea of moving to India, and have considered it myself. However, in practical terms moving countries isn't all that easy.

I'm not sure how the idea of just moving countries so easily comes up. Even between Canada and the US, considered great allies, it is some challenge

Exactly my feelings. Many times it is an escape fantasy to the promised land where everything will fall into place and life will be simpler. Alas, that land just does not exist. Most people there are non-practicing Hindus who toil long hours to keep their heads above water. With no money and no commitment to any particular sampradaye, one cannot even feel comfortable living in an ashram. But, it is nice to dream of that fairy land which exists only at Disneyland. :)

What is another solution that doesn't require leaving America? My problem is, I'm an Ancient, and the closest I can come to beliefs is someone Sanātani without a personal god.

Barring immigration to India, I sure would like to find out where American traditional Sanātanis are.

You are looking for a Sanatani without a personal god - no, American traditional Sanatanis, a whole bunch of them to associate with? A group of people who conform to your exact brand of Sanatani? Aren't the expectations unreal.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
10 March 2015, 04:02 PM
Vannakkam: I think everyone should travel to India, a nice long pilgrimage, stay somewhere for 3 months or so. It's a valuable experience. Do it a few times even.

But I can't tell you how many times at my temple I've heard the following, or something very similar.

"Wow. Why go to India? India is right here!"

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
10 March 2015, 10:46 PM
Dear DA and WI,

I live in India and I love my country. However, I would advise both of you to think well before taking a decision to migrate. In India, you don't get the social security that you take for granted in USA. Getting a job which would help you earn sufficient enough to live a descent life is not going to be so easy in India as it can be in USA unless you have special skills.

Joining Ashrams etc. can grant you some basic amenities and spiritual ambience but you must get as much knowledge about Ashrams as you can before deciding to join them. The life may not be to your liking there.

OM

ShivaFan
10 March 2015, 11:58 PM
I have had incredible "luck" in my life... in that not only have I had opportunities to travel to India, but in the "early years" (I am now 59 but I speak of my youth) incredibly others even paid my way just to have me with them in India.

Along the way I met others from "the West" who actually lived in India for extended periods of time. You see, you are seeking a heartful call to go to India, so yes travel there at first. But the key is ASSOCIATION. Find other Hindus where you live now, they are in a sense India too. Be with them. In time, you will go. But first be with them.

I could move to India very easily, actually. In fact I have relatives with property - actual homes - in both Kolkata and Mumbai. Neither are currently occupied. And in fact, sometimes I stay in the Kolkata residence which is in Chowringhee and in an incredible location as far as convenience and nice place. So I could I guess move to India ... for example, I will be retiring in about Feb of 2016, not very far away. I could ... but likely for now I will retire where ever my daughter goes to attend University, then after I will probably move to B.C. Canada

... you see, I will be also traveling to India, no need to retire there ... until...

... until I find out I am going to soon be dead.

THEN I WILL LEAVE MY FAMILY AND LIVE IN VARANASI TO DIE.

So... how old are you?

Here is a thought. If you find out you will be dead soon, and that is not always easy to know, then I would suggest you move to Varanasi.

But if not dead soon, just travel often to India. Do that first, buy that ticket. Imagine in your mind you are getting your VISA from the Indian Embassy, your passport ready, you buy the ticket in your mind.

Then you will do it. It will all work out.

LightofOm
16 March 2015, 12:04 PM
Namaskar deafAncient,

I don't see why you look down on the US so much... it really has everything to offer. I live in the Bible belt just like you and I have many friends who practice Sanatana Dharma and many friends who moved here from India. I don't see why you are having so much trouble finding these people, unless you are in a very small, rural town. In the larger cities they're everywhere, you just have to know where to look.

Life is REALLY easy here! It's easy to find a job, easy to find a place to live, there is a store for just about anything, etc. I don't think it would be that simple if you were to move to India. Sure, we may be the minority in terms of religious preference, but generally people aren't as judgmental as you are making them out to be. Trust me I know because I am covered in tattoos, a lot of which are tattoos related to Sanatana Dharma, like various gods and goddesses, aum symbol, lotus flowers, etc. and everybody (Christians, elderly people, cowboy-types) is very accepting of me. I am not silent about what I follow either.

I think moving to India would be very hard. I have considered it once or twice myself, but my intelligence tells me that visiting would be a much better idea than trying to live there. There is honestly no reason to move there, everything is right here in the USA.

We need not go to some place, thinking that only there we will find perfect conditions for interior life and meditation. Rather, we carry right within us the ideal place for spiritual opening: our own spirit, our true Self. So try looking within rather than without and I assure you that you will find what you are looking for.

Love & Light,
LightofOm

Sudas Paijavana
17 March 2015, 05:40 AM
delete

Aanandinii
17 March 2015, 10:51 PM
Namaste deafAncient,

as other have stated and like you, I also have a dream of perhaps spending late retirement in India, should I find a good place, but I recognize it as mostly a dream. Oh I hope it will happen, but as others have pointed out, it is hard to do on many levels. The only way to understand I think is to go. It's beautiful and gentle and fierce and ancient and new all at once. Of the places I've been, I agree with many of the suggestions here: Tamil Nadu and Andhra states are good, and I also quite loved Indore, but I would also add Lucknow. But there are so many places i haven't seen either... Bangalore is lovely, but get ready for the worst traffic on the planet. :D The thing is, both the economy and the culture is very different, not in a bad way but just different. It will be difficult to live there, regardless of your status here.

This country does have its detractors, but it also has it's good points, I agree. As you said to WI, perhaps there's a good reason you took a life here and now? Maybe to help fix the problem rather than running from it. The Bible belt can be really tough in some areas. There are good places there though, and some in the North too, but it seems weather is an issue for you? There is at least one large temple and thus likely big communities in California, there are some in Texas too, you just have to search for them. Google for Hindu Temples and organizations in the US, you will come up with all kinds of ideas.

~Pranam

newwaysys
29 March 2015, 11:32 PM
Mumbai is the best place to live.Every Mumbaikar Lives his life with such a Spirit and we salute them. I dedicate this site to all of you who travel daily throughLocalTransportation. Here you will find everything you need to know about Local Transportation. Local Train Schedules, Timings for all the Trains on all the routes, Mumbai Local Train Map (http://mumbailocaltraintimetable.net/DirectTrainFromPanvelToAndheri.aspx) . if you want to make a weekend trip with your family and friends.
to know more about mumbai visit:http://mumbailocaltraintimetable.net/:)

Abhishek Born Again
02 June 2015, 11:06 AM
Namaskar Gurujana,
Well I am an Indian resident.I am proud of my country and what is it.But as it is said "Be Careful What You Wish For" and I agree with what devotee ji said.You might think you are in problem living where you are but is it really that or it is just the affinity towards India and the Indian Culture.Just think twice before making any decision.Well I should not advice anyone here as almost everybody has more knowledge and experience here than me.But as we say we learn something from everyone whether old or young.So that is what I am saying.

The Grass is always Green on the other side of the fence.But it might not be the reality.The Ashrams and all may not be suited to you or even us I guess who live in India because we know what is happening there nowadays.It is very difficult to find a Genuine Ashram or Guru these day.I am not berating my own country or my religion or anything for that matter,I am just telling you what should be told as it should not harm you.Here,there are some problems that we have to face day in and day out-employment,electricity,water facilities etc are a few of them.India might not be the Fantasy Land that you have read about in books or some where else.

Dhanyavad.

Viraja
02 June 2015, 07:57 PM
I've also ruminated on the thought of settling down during my retirement years somewhere down South of India, the place where I hail from. I've always desired to live in a 'kshetram' or temple city, quite small, that has a temple tank in addition - in essence a small, quiet town with not much activity but lot of temple related ones to occupy! Language will be no barrier for me, as also the food. It may not be cosmopolitan and may not have many interesting people to interact with - but I will dearly miss the Western clothes I am accustomed to! :D Also even if I was born and brought-up there, owing to having spent a number of years in the West, there might be some sort of culture shock in a near village. Also the weather and water may not be to my liking. The skyrocketed cost of living may seem nothing now, when I think of it sitting at the West, but after retirement when I have to spend from my savings, may mean a fortune. I may not end up having many friends or an active social life due to lack of finding enough agemates with similar background. But then if I decide to settle down in a Cosmopolitan city, the daily day-to-day activities may take up so much of my time and attention that I may not feel much spiritually inclined! The crowd may turn me off. In many places, there may not be as-convenient transportation facilities, water supply may be a problem, I may have to depend on hiring maids (which is against my policy) for part of the daily workload as air pollution might deposit much dirt around the household that washing clothes every day and wiping the floors everyday may be a must. Then I have to think of paying them fairly! And the list goes on...

I'm just wondering aloud some of the differences between life on the West and live on a different country as India, and I think many of my thoughts will be a standard for anyone wanting to migrate similarly!

Cheers! :)

deafAncient
02 June 2015, 09:40 PM
Namaskāra to all.

I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm reminded that the key is people, which means I need to surround myself with as many Sanātanis as possible. Thank you.

Praṇāma

markandeya 108 dasa
17 June 2015, 09:04 AM
Pranams,

As far as I am aware of in my visits to India is that most Indians want to go and live in America :) or other countries. I do not think there is a dislike for their own country but life on many accounts is very tough for a large proportion of people, but being an Indian for almost every Indian I have met is usually one of great pride.

My first visit was in 1993 and was there more often than not until 1998, and again visited for 6 weeks 10 years ago and have recently come back, and within that short amount of time things have changed, in terms of being more modernized one could say there is improvement, although power cuts is just as usual as it ever was :)

The main thing that has changed is the thing that most westerners go there for and that is the Holy Places, which are fast becoming more like commercial tourist destinations. I remember living in Vrndavana and waking up early hours to chant Japa in the calm surroundings and being greeted by the ambiance of parrots flying around and peacocks in the background. Now that has been replaced by noisy cars and at weekends late wedding parties, ashrams are being replace by guest houses and sacred ground is being sold for real estate. And dont get me started about Puri, a place that I love is now ( apart from a few places ) is a complete eye sore of Hotels and non veg restaurants.

When I was in the Himalayas the common verdict is that the devastation that happened was a type of reaction for all the commercial businesses taking over, the disrespect of dumping litter and generally spiritual tourists having no real respect for what these places represent. Many saw it as a clean out. These are not my views and opinions its the opinions of the local people, many of who lost relatives and lively hood. After the devastation less people now go due to fear, and after the earthquakes in Nepal many who did dare to go cancelled their trip, and it was much more peaceful with less crowds and the atmosphere was much more sanctified.

South India is still preserved much better than many places in the North and if I ever thought to live in India it would be more south, although I fell totally in love with Vyas Ghat just south of Devprayag, it was possible the most serene but empowered area of India I have been to in while and a perfect place for study and practice and worship of Ganga Ma.

The culture, heritage and history of India is second to non, and one could spend thousands of lifetimes there and still learn new things all time. But to live there full time for westerners is a hard task, I always feel that compared to the west India is another planet, a totally different dimension to anything that exists in other countries, so there is a big culture shock that one has to deal with before understanding how Sanatana Dharma fits into everyday life. Ashrams also is not easy option all the time, many pure Advaita Ashrams do not like to host westerners, they have their good reasons and then you have many offshoots where you get versions and self installed gurus that add to the diversity and open spirit of India but one may not get the most genuine teachings. I was recently in Laxmanjhula and Rishikesha and I spoke to one couple I met who were overwhelmed to the point of confusion of where to go to practice yoga and learn parts of the culture as everywhere that was advertising yoga and the like was the most genuine and pure teaching, it's become a business there.

The best advice is to keep learning from the aspects of Sanatana Dharm that inspires you, if you lack association pray and seek the right association, it will come in time and from there wait till the time arises naturally to go to India, but go there with a plan and a purpose and under some form of guidance or you could get totally spun out.

Many westerners that I know that go there have a cute saying, happy to arrive in India and happy to leave, I think this should be the motto of most westerners as visits are better than living there and could provide much more productive in the long term spiritually. Unless however one has a natural inclination for being a Sadhu, which is not the romantic notion that it can appear from appearances. But saying all this I also know some westerners that live a very happy life, but on a percent level of all the ones that go there this would be 0.001%.

India is a great country, but the greatness lies within the culture and spirituality and that can be replicated where ever one is, this does not rely on any geographical location, but the Holy Dhams can certainly empower ones practice and realizations.

Believer
17 June 2015, 02:38 PM
Namaste,

All glories to Sri, Sri VISA Bhagwan,

As far as I am aware of in my visits to India is that most Indians want to go and live in America :) .......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33161672 (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33161672)

Pranam.

deafAncient
17 June 2015, 06:07 PM
Namaskāra Believer.

In that case, let them come over. Let another 50 crore come over and crowd out the Europeans. Bring some more of India here. I wonder now the Native Americans would mix with the NRI population, though.

Praṇāma for the article!

Aanandinii
17 June 2015, 07:11 PM
In that case, let them come over. Let another 50 crore come over and crowd out the Europeans. Bring some more of India here.
Namaskar ji,

Yes please! Seconded. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/laugh.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

~Pranam

Eastern Mind
17 June 2015, 07:44 PM
Vannakkam: I third it. I hope the day arrives soon where if the city has a population of 50 000, that automatically means it has a Hindu temple. Larger cities should have 20 Hindu temples. If there are more, the true variety of SD will be presented.

Here we have a ton of new people, at temple I notice especially.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
17 June 2015, 07:50 PM
Namaste,

In Hinduism, every devta has a consort; visa Bhagwan's consort is 'English Devi'. You have to worship them both to get the US visa and be successful once you get there. So, here is the rest of the story.....

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/109098/english-devi-temple-stalled.html

Pranam.